Body Mount Bushings - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 03, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

I am ready to order body mount bushings for my car. I have decided to go with poly bushings. I just cannot bring myself to install solids on a street driven car. I have read alot of old posts that recommend solids and also alot that recommend poly.

Whose poly bushings should I buy? Are they graphite impregnated or not?

Thanks,

Murph.

68 Camaro
Ash Gold

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 03, 07:02 PM
Tech Team

Well I installed Energy Suspension Graphite impregnated urathane mounts. It was ok but I ended up switching to billet Aluminum and I'm much happier for it.

Good luck !

[img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 03, 10:44 AM
David Pozzi

Another one lost to the "Dark Side".
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 03, 11:02 AM
Senior Tech

Performance Suspension Technologies has a wide selection of bushings for body mount & suspension

69 RS/SS 350, 700R4 and 3.73 rear end
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 03, 04:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Question

Are this solid bushings from Summit any good, or you recommend any other brand. For $43 they're kind of affordable for me.

"Our affair with Camaros is a life sentence without the possibility of parole".
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 03, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Ah yes, the dark side. David, I have read many of you post's and have been on your web site for quite a bit of reading. I am just unsure about these body bushings. I have heard so much about the solids but just don't know what to think?????

It seems to me like this will be too harsh for me. I will put about 500 miles per year on my car and it will be mainly street driven. What is the best thing to go with???

Murph

68 Camaro
Ash Gold

My Build

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 03, 08:31 PM
Senior Tech

go solid- you WILL like it. you will barely notice them. in fact, the car wil lfeel sooo much better than with rubber bushings. why did they put bushings in there at all, anyways? the old Novas and Corvairs don't have any rubber biscuits isolating the chassis from the body, and neither do all the old unibody Fords or Mopars. just how is it a good thing to have the body floating around on the subframe like that?

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 03, 08:35 PM
Senior Tech

For only driving 500 miles a year, you will never know that they are there !!!

You want harsh, put in u-thane control arm bushings and run KYB's.....and then put 17's on it.....

Dont sweat the sub frame bushings being aluminum. If you really are only going to drive the car 500 miles a year you'll neve known they are there. I run 700lb/320lb front/rear springs with a 16" wheel and tire, Del-a-lum solid control arm bushings and re-valved Bilsteins on the street and have done so for roughly 10+ years. The ride quality is still compliant and impressive to this day. The sub frame bushings were the addition with the least physical increase of road stiffness.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 03, 01:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

When I put solid GW bushings in, I noticed no increase in harshness. On the other hand, Energy Susp poly motor mounts significantly increased ' the buzz'. I drive 2000 or so miles a year and don't mind.

[ 07-06-2003, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: RickD ]

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 03, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

O.K. I currently have Hotchkis/Bilstein/Energy Suspension out back and all 35 year old originals up front. I am working my way from back to front with the suspension/bushing upgrades. I plan to go with the Hotchkis springs and 1-1/8 sway bar/Bilstein/poly bushings up front. So if I go with solid on the body bushings is there a prefered supplier for them?

68 Camaro
Ash Gold

My Build

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 03, 06:51 AM
David Pozzi

I recomend putting in solid bushings. If you don't like them you can allways put in polly or rubber and sell the aluminum bushings to someone else. At least you tried it and have gained some knowledge on the subject.

If you can find a forum member in your area who has installed solid sub bushings, go for a ride with him and see how you like the ride.

You really don't want your subframe to move separately from the unibody. It makes the car feel sloppy. The best descriptive word I can think of is Tight, the car feels more solid, less jiggling and rattling around, which is more annoying than any supposed increase in harshness.

I've ridden in a bunch of Camaros with solid sub bushings and they rode great. As mentioned above, there are lots and lots of cars on the road without a separate subframe. Mustangs have a full unibody and I wouldn't say they are harsh riding.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 03, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

I was just starting to think exactly what you stated David. I'll put in the solids and see how they are. I can always go back and change them if I don't like the ride.

I have not done alot of research on installation of the solids. Will they bolt right up with the stock cage nuts in the frame? I would think so. Is Global West the best place to get these?

Murph

68 Camaro
Ash Gold

My Build

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 03, 10:16 AM
Senior Tech

Unhappy

If your body bushings were never changed and your car is all together meaning fenders - hood - doors are all on. Get ready to make adjustments after your install because it's almost a given that some panels will have to be re-aligned. I know from experience.

1967 Camaro coupe Deluxe interior LT-1 350 w/ 4spd. M-21 trans and 12 bolt rear.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 03, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

RamJam,

The bushings have never been replaced and the car has never been taken apart. Do you still think the panel alignment will change?

Murph

68 Camaro
Ash Gold

My Build

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 03, 11:35 AM
Senior Tech

Unhappy

Sorry, I'd have to say yes.

1967 Camaro coupe Deluxe interior LT-1 350 w/ 4spd. M-21 trans and 12 bolt rear.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode