CBB Questions - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 02, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hey all, I'm wanting to join the legions of people doing the drum to disk swap. Amazing how a little horsepower and crummy brakes can scare a guy.
Anyhow, my question pertains to the CBB swap in particular. I was checking with my local parts yards, and was able to locate plenty of 70's 1-1/4" truck calipers. Corvette rotors, however are entirely scarse and I've only been able to locate new pairs for $200 - 400 or so. Using these larger diameter rotors requires larger rims and tires. I think I'd like to use a smaller disk with this setup, like say, the 11" rotor that was on the truck where I found the calipers. Anyone know if that is possible?
Can I use a 70's truck rotor on my drum spindle or is there a reason you all are using the Corvette rotors? I know I won't get the same braking power that comes from a larger rotor, but am hoping you can tell me why the truck rotor / caliper swap may or may not be possible. Thanks in advance,
Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 02, 12:21 AM

I think you should go with the 69 camaro front disc/ rear drum setup. It will be easier for you. You can find all the parts you need to do this swap on the shelf at your local AutoZone. I`m doing the JL8 setup and I got my rotors brand new from AutoZone. IF you buy any rotors there, have then turned from a brake shop before you install them and don`t let them do it. It won`t cost much to get them turned. AutoZone`s rotors are always warped from some reason. I guess it`s the way they store them and ship them. They also don`t usually do a very good job turning them as well. You`ll also need to get a new master cylinder as well.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 02, 06:28 AM
David Pozzi

You can use the JL8 or sixties vette front rotor, it is 11 3/4" diamiter and 1.250 thick.

The problem will be finding a stock Camaro front single piston calper bracket and adding a 3/8" piece into it to move the caliper out radially for the larger rotor.

The runout deal is probably due to uneven mounting of the rotor over the drum brake hub.
That hub was not designed to mount a rotor and probably not spec'ed to be that straight.

If the hub were faced straight to start with, the runout would probably be a lot better.

I guess it would be best to index mark the hub and rotor and then true up the hub/rotor on a brake lathe and keep them indexed that way.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 02, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hey, thanks for the replies! I guess my main question was whether I can use parts other than the big caliper off of the mid 70's chevy truck? Like, why couldn't I use the nearly new rotors I saw with the calipers at the yard?

It was a 1 1/4" thick rotor and was about 11" or 11.5" in dia.

[This message has been edited by Seakane (edited 03-16-2002).]
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 02, 10:31 AM
David Pozzi

If you can figure a way to make them fit, go ahead. Please post back here what you learn.

I suspect the rotor offset, bearing sizes, or spindle length will not work out.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 02, 05:46 AM

I think what David is saying is that you will need to check several things such as;

1. Rotor hat offset b/c it plays a direct roll in caliper bracket spacing on the spindles. Too far out, alotta shiming, too far in and no room for a bracket unless it is custom made for the application. My conversion can only use a 5/16" thick bracket, I double checked it!

2. Are you thinking about using a cut down rotor/hub as a hub off the doner vehicle other then a First Gen. car, b/c you will need to make sure the bearings will fit the spindle you want to mount on. Or are you thinking about using a cut down drum brake hub. It will fit fine on the stock spindles.

3. Double check your inner wheel caliper clearance b/c anything over the JL-8 stuff will probably mean 16" or 17" rims to clear and this gets into,

4. Front tire/rim size and backspacing so everything fits fine as already mentioned. And this has been beat to death over in the Tires and Wheels section.

And, yes, stock stuff would be the easiest way to go as already said. Just pick a kit and plunk your money down!

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode