hotchkis drop leaf owners......help please. - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 03, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeoffery J

I am having trouble installing my 1.5 drop hotchkis leafs. I can't get the upper bushing into the frame. I measured the new bushing verses the old rubber one and there is a differance of 30 thousand. I know this is not very acurate but 30?
I called hotchkis and am waiting for their camaro guy to get back to me.I looked through my essembley manual to see if there is a sleeve or something they used along with the rubber bushing and it didn't show one, is there though?...Thanks guys.....jeoff

Jeoff J.
Buffalo , NY...Brrrr

MY RIDE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

project "semi precious metal"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 03, 01:15 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

No sleeve on the old ones...This seems to be a pretty common problem with the urethane bushings from Hotchkis. Make sure that the mounting surface is free of rubber deposits and rust. I used a little sand paper to clean up the inner edges of the frame holes on my install. If they still don't fit well you can try:

Filing off the excess bushing material or have them turned at a machine shop.

Freeze them to see if they will shrink enough to fit without filing.

Press fit them into the frame with some all thread, washers and a couple of nuts. (that's how I got mine in- use plenty of lube!)

I never bothered to measure how off mine were, but they started into the frame well enough- I just helped them along with some muscle.

[ 07-09-2003, 05:43 AM: Message edited by: choptop ]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 03, 02:22 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by choptop:
Press fit them into the frame with some all thread, washers and a couple of nuts. (that's how I got mine in- use plenty of lube!)
I used the shakles and a bolt and pressed one side in and then the other. It goes like this,

<Shakle - Frame - Bushing - Shakle> run the bolt through and put a nut n the bolt and tighten the bushing in place. Then repete for the other half...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 03, 04:52 AM
Senior Tech

Angry

I did mine the same way Dennis did. Worked out great!

69 SS

69 project for my wife - SS 396, Glacier blue

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 03, 06:42 AM
Senior Tech
David

I ended up using a wood rasp to file a little material off the bushings. They still fit tight, but could be pressed in by hand.
I originally got one half in (before filing) but the steel sleeve wouldn't go in with the other half.

David

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 03, 07:02 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

I just did mine using the all thread trick suggested on this site. They went in fine. I would never have been able to press them in by hand. The all thread was simple and quick.

Make sure you get the right bushings in the right locations. The frame bushings are different from the rear spring eye bushings. Not that I know this from experience.

Murph

68 Camaro
Ash Gold

My Build

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 03, 08:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Ditto, threaded rod. I used the old shackles as washers.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 03, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeoffery J

Angry

Thanks for all the input guys. I took one of the bushings into work today and had the boys turn it down to 1.570 it was oringinaly 1.612 or 1.620. I came home ,lubed it up and it went in with a little hammer tapping. It's in there tight I can't move it with my hands or gigle it at all. So I'm going to turn the rest.
One more question. Do you need to lube up the bushings that are between the leafs and axle also? The directions are pretty vauge.

Jeoff J.
Buffalo , NY...Brrrr

MY RIDE:

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 03, 02:37 AM
Senior Tech
David

If you mean the rectangular spring pads, no you don't.

David

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 03, 04:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

And while on that subject, if you had 5 leaf springs before the depth of the perches may be to much for the pads shipped with the springs. Hotchkis offers a steel plate and longer spring bolt to make up the difference. This may or may not be an issue. Just a heads up for you.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 03, 05:28 AM
Guess

Roberts right.... give Hotchkis a call and they'll send the kit right out to you for free. Give JC, Mark or Wesley a call Toll Free: (877) 4NO-ROLL (466-7655).

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 03, 11:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Angry

Thanks for the info! I just called them and they are sending them out to me!

Gary

1967 RS Coupe (clone): 406 SBC, Thorley headers, Muncie, Hotchkis suspension, Centerline Matrix 17" wheels with Nitto 555's, Baer brakes, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, RS conversion, Vintage Air, PPG Hot Red. (SOLD)

1968 RS Coupe: Project...Mini-tubbed, Cammed LS 6.0, T56, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, Ridetech 4 link...slowly adding more...
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 03, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeoffery J

robert please explain again. I did have five leafs on the car what was that about the perches and steel plates???? I don't understand?
I got the passanger side loosley in today..Man thats a job not to do by yourself, those things are heavy. The turned down bushings worked out super but I had a hell of time getting the old ones out.

Jeoff J.
Buffalo , NY...Brrrr

MY RIDE:

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 03, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeoffery J

Never mind robert I just called hotchkis they explained. thanks for the heads up though...jeoff

Jeoff J.
Buffalo , NY...Brrrr

MY RIDE:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode