Too Low!! - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 03, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have just completed my first drive in a completely restored 68 Camaro with Moog 6306 front coils. Now I have cut 1 full coil out and thought that the ride height seemed perfect. After one short drive, the car is sitting way lower! I now hit on any small bump. My question is: Has any one else cut a coil from 6308 springs? What are you using for a tire & backspace?

The car seemed to snap a few times while sitting in the shop as we surveyed the problem. Is it possible that the lower control arm bolts are too tight and binding with the springs compressed? (Basically holding the car down)

Although I don't have a written down measurement from before, there's a pics here to show what it was like before the drive:
www.abs.ca/robb/robbs68camaro.htm

My fender lip now measures 24.75+ inches from the ground..... what gives?

Please help if you can, I need to get this thing fixed before next weekend because I refuse to miss any more shows

Thanks so much
Robb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 03, 04:06 AM
Senior Tech

Did you torque the bolts correct?
Lower A-arm bolts - 85 ft.lbs.
Upper A-arm shaft to frame - 80 ft.lbs.
Upper control arm shaft nuts - 65 ft.lbs.

Robbm, one thing I must say, your car looks great! Very sharp looking, love the TorqueMaster ][s as well. I personally am using the Eibach Pro Kit because I wanted a stiffer spring personally. Looks like you might need to buy another set and not get the springs. Fortunately they are not that much $$$, and just a few hours time.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 03, 04:57 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to jrager
Robb,
What is hitting when you go over small bumps?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 03, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The very outer edge of the tire hits one of the bolts for the inner fender.

Robb
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 03, 06:01 AM
V8
Senior Tech

Try a grinding down the bolt or running a tiny wheelspacer to pull the wheel out a tad.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 03, 06:27 AM
Senior Tech

You might need to remove the center two bolts that connect the inner fender with the outer fender on the lip. Many people remove them because of the same problem.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 03, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

So does the tire still hit, just on a smoother surface? Is there any chance of fender damage?

Thanks
Robb

I was planning to remove the bolt tonight and I found some small X shaped coil spring spacers that I may try an an interim solution. Anyone used these before? Any opinions??

Thanks again...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 03, 07:25 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Robb, first I would try removing the bolts from the fender (cheap and easy). Not much chance of fender damage (other than paint loss) if the wheel still rubs. Another route is to get a 1/2" aluminum spacer (can't remember the manufacturer) that goes into the spring pocket. I think they are about $15 USD each. If you do a search you might find the thread that has all the details. One of our members used them and it helped his problem greatly.

Another item to consider is whether the springs have shifted out of position and suddenly "lowered" the car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 03, 07:39 AM
Senior Tech

Like Choptop says, if your tire was rubbing that much if would grip the bolt and rip your fender apart, so its actually safer to leave the bolts off.

1969 Camaro - GM 2003 Electron Blue
Beck Racing 383 cu in 465HP Engine - Sean Murphy Inductions Stage 2 Quadrajet
TCI Streetfighter 350 - 3.73:1 Posi 10 Bolt Rear - 12.6 sec qtr mile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 03, 05:32 PM
Senior Tech

Angry

I just set your picture as desktop wallpaper. I love the stance and have been thinking about silver for a color. Looks great.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 03, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks Dnult. It means alot to someone that after years of admiring other peoples cars on the internet, someone may actually be admiring yours. [img]smile.gif[/img] It's about 7 AM on Thursday and if the weather clears today, I will be showing the car at a local weekly cruise night for the first time.

On the ride height issue, I installed a set of coil spring spacers (small squarish rubber blocks not the larger round ones). These seem to be a major help! They only raised the car about 5/8 - 3/4 of an inch but have stiffened the front end enough that I don't rub. I also removed the top two fender bolts on each side just in case.

I have a new set of 6308 springs here now, but haven't decided if I will change them. I hate the thoughts of losing my current stance. Basically what I think I've learned from this is that the 6308s with 1 coil removed will lower the car nicely, but are not stiff enough to work with the reduced amount of travel that's allowed.

Thanks
Robb
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 03, 03:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

You can use button head bolts instead.

Also, Global West, I believe, has the spacers.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 03, 12:48 PM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Send a message via AIM to CFunK
That was me, Scott, and yes it helped me solve my problem. It took ALONG time to find someone who made a spacer shorter than 1".

Global West sells the spring spacers that go in the lower control arm. Here are some pictures of my 1/2" spacer. I believe they sell taller ones.

GW Spring Spacer

-Funk

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 03, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Chris

I'm glad you saw this post as I had provided you with some pics and stuff regarding the cut coils. Basically the pics I showed you were before the car was driven. As soon as the springs were loaded by hitting bumps, they actually wanted to keep the car about 1/2 - 3/4 on an inch lower. They weren't stiff enough to work with that little clearance. May have been OK with narower wheels/tires or more BS. Anyway, I just wanted to make sure that you knew it didn't turn out all as rosey as I had hoped.

Robb
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 03, 11:05 AM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Send a message via AIM to CFunK
I thought that was you. Sorry it turned out to be a hassle. Your first post in this thread said 6306, I assume you meant 6308, correct?

Well, I have decided against cutting the springs anyway. I don't want the low rider front end and I am happy with the way mine sits.

-Funk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode