New hose fitment - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 03, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Red face

The brown truck just delivered all the parts I need to finish the brakes on the front end of my 68 this weekend. I am using the long hoses ~16" that anchor to the upper A-frames. Problem is, these hoses don't have a clamp on the hose. They do have a ferrel, but there is no way to attach them to the upper A-frame.

Sure, I could go buy some clamps, but most clamps I know of are not nearly as sturdy as the originals. I'm afraid a common clamp would break apart in time. What did you do to anchor your rubber lines to the upper A-frame?

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 03, 02:37 PM
Senior Tech

One of the houses (Classic, Ricks, NPD) carries the proper 'Brake hose clips' that wrap around that metal tight and then are hooked onto the control arm using a regular machine screw and lock washer. Sorry I am not at my house right now but when I get there I will look through the catalogs again, they were only a few bucks. They are made out of aluminum, not like the steel clamps I have on my 69, but I am sure just as good.

You could always use a strip of sheet metal and format it into a clamp that looks similiar to a brake line clamp but that is larger to hold that ferrel. Just cut it up (dremel) so that it tightens as you close it and bolt it to the control arm.

1969 Camaro - GM 2003 Electron Blue
Beck Racing 383 cu in 465HP Engine - Sean Murphy Inductions Stage 2 Quadrajet
TCI Streetfighter 350 - 3.73:1 Posi 10 Bolt Rear - 12.6 sec qtr mile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 03, 03:59 PM
Senior Tech

4681 RETAINER SET - Brake Hose
69 To Upper A-ARM, Pair C-4681-6A $14.50
NPD 800-235-3445

OR

1969 Brake Hose Strap
HC64 - $16.95/pair
ClassicIndustries.com

Both are the exact same thing.

Basically its two pieces of sheet metal, with a hole on each side, you loop it around the ferrel and bolt it up. It has the little piece of sheet metal that is bent off the side of one side to prevent this retainer from turning/shifting. Not sure why they say 69, maybe because these are what they look like on a 69, maybe the 67-68 was slightly different in nature.

1969 Camaro - GM 2003 Electron Blue
Beck Racing 383 cu in 465HP Engine - Sean Murphy Inductions Stage 2 Quadrajet
TCI Streetfighter 350 - 3.73:1 Posi 10 Bolt Rear - 12.6 sec qtr mile

and

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 03, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I've seen those clamps, so that's what they're for. I may try to fabricate something. I guess part of my problem is that my 68 assembly manual doesn't detail the 69-like disk brakes I have that probably came off another GM car. Oh, well, that's minor I guess. No reason I can't get the brakes working this weekend. Thanks guys.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 03, 07:23 PM
David Pozzi

Remember, disc brake Camaros used a top of frame hose bracket, the drum brake system uses brackets on the side of the frame.

If you still have the side of frame brackets, you might try Monte Carlo brake hoses, that's what I used since my brakes came from a 72 Monte. I did not use the upper A arm anchor points with the shorter hoses.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 03, 04:38 AM
Retired
Jim

This is what David is talking about. They are different between disc and drum setups. This is the new hose on my disc brakes. The hose had the metal ferral already on it from the manuf. the clip just wraps around it and bolts right up.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 03, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I picked up some clamps for the upper A-arms today that should work. They can be easily replaced if not. I went ahead and purchase the top-frame mounts and new hoses. I think that arangement is less prone to problems and less strenuous on the hoses.

I've got everything I need to stay busy this weekend and hope to have working brakes by sundown sunday. Thanks everyone for your guidance over the last few threads. And Dave, we all appreciate your brake (etc.) web resouce. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

But for now it's beer thirty. [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

-dnult

Dave
========================
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 03, 07:52 PM
David Pozzi

Good luck! [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 03, 07:43 PM
Apprentice
Mike

Quote:
Originally posted by davidpozzi:
Remember, disc brake Camaros used a top of frame hose bracket, the drum brake system uses brackets on the side of the frame.

If you still have the side of frame brackets, you might try Monte Carlo brake hoses, that's what I used since my brakes came from a 72 Monte. I did not use the upper A arm anchor points with the shorter hoses.
David
David are you saying the 69 Camaro calipers will work with the Monte hoses?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 03, 02:09 PM

Red face

He, He!!!

I guess I'm just not with it b/c I definately need ta figure out how to use the funny things too...

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode