Power Steering; Iroc box, pump and lines? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 01, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Here's the bottom line, I want to convert my car from manual steering to a quick ration power steering box. From what I've read on this site and others is that the 3rd gen Iroc camaros have a pretty good box for this, at a much cheaper price then like an AGR box. But they have metric fittings. I've also seen some cars have braided power steering lines using fittings like Aeroquip. Does Aeroquip make metric fitting so I can go strait from the box to the pump? Also what pump will work on this box and still bolt up to a factory style bracket on my big block? If I buy a factory pump made for a 68 camaro, will it work with the newstyle box? I know this is alot of questions, and I appreciate all answers. Thanks, Mark

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 01, 05:37 AM
David Pozzi

If you want a stock type pump mounting. Buy repro brackets and a repro pump pulley and use a rebuilt pump with a bolt on pulley, not the press on later style.
The later style has a larger shaft and repro pulleys won't fit them.

On the box, you can use adaptors, or Lee sells a seat that can be pressed into the box, and the threads are close enough that the US holse will fit the metric threads.

I'm sure there are aeroquip fittings for PS, and Aeroquip sells a blue hose to use for PS applications.
Aeroquip hose MAY be slightly noiser in operation than stock hose. Just something I've read, not experienced.
Lee sells a steering coupler to fit the smaller shaft on the later PS boxes too.

I've got some steering swap info on my suspension page below.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 01, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Dave, what do you think of this deal. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/produc...2500%2C9103287 5%2C91032876%2C91032877%2C91032902%2C91032904%2C91 032910%2C91032912%2C91032915%2C91044010%2C91332902 %2C&header%5Ftitle=Race+Products%2DPower+Steering& page%5Fname=prod%5Flist%5Fdisp lay%2Easp&search%5Ftype=L2%7E177&size1=&size2=&gen der=&ShowImages=yes&sq=0&cont=1&intPgNo=1&mscssid= 0SC7XDJTEXG98L570LLC3281EWJGFW10 ,

What size shaft should I get?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 01, 10:15 AM
Banned

Smile

Mark, I got mine from Speedway b/c the price was right along w/ no core charge. They are rebuilt by a nationally known company!

I think you need the little one.

I bought my pump brackets from Allen Grove b/c of the hassle of finding all the NOS stock stuff. Allen Grove also sells the crank P/S pulley if you want it. I'm not running A/C, so don't have that hassle.

I just went to the bone-yard and got a good used pump pulley for $10 if I remember right. I will check pulley alignment when I get my engine in my car. pdq67

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 01, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Paul, you need to get that car done so we know everything works, then I can do the same stuff, hehe. I actually have a nice March aluminum bracket and pully for a pump. I was wondering if maybe a stock pump wouldn't pump enough pressure to work with the faster ratio box, or something like that, I really don't know much about the stuff. I think I'll call speedway and see what they have to say. You can't beat that price on the box.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 01, 07:39 PM
Banned

Smile

Mark, you are right, I need ta get a fu--ing divorce and get on with my life!!!

NO SH_T!! pdq67

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 01, 08:20 PM
David Pozzi

Just be aware, I don't think those boxes are not the fastest ratio.
I think a fast ratio would be 2.5 turns lock to lock.
Great price though!
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 01, 06:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Talking

Hi all. My power steering box was very sloppy in my 69 Z. I have a friend that has a zillion T/A's and he gave me a power unit (2.5 turns) from a 1980 WS6 T/A (metric lines) to use while I get mine rebuilt. I think 1980 was the first year for metric fittings. After a little research I contacted Lee Manufacturing Co.-toll free 888-698-6697 and they sent me the seats/inserts- #40620 Pressure Seat $3.85 and #40630 Return Seat $3.85. Easy installation. Just look for the pump and brackets particular to your car/engine combo. The early hoses will screw right into the metric power unit perfectly. My car has a very solid and firm steer with plenty of control. I may just keep it that way.

Good Luck.

Gary

1969 Cortez Silver Z28
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 01, 06:55 PM
Senior Tech

Gary:

A friend of mine has a 78 Hurst Firebird, its a parts car(400+4spd), do you know what a ratio this would have?

Sorry to go off topic.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 01, 05:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Talking

Hello Team Canada...I'll do a little research on this and get back to you.

Check out this website. http://www.iwaynet.com/~gl&lisk/1978ta.html

Everyone I talked with into the Firebirds say there is no such car and that GM was using two types of t-top hatches, one of which is made by Hurst. The info on the website indicates that the power steering box went from 16:1 to 14:1 ratio.

I hope this helps.

Gary

[This message has been edited by 69Z28 (edited 11-26-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode