Sub-Frame mounting holes - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 01, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

I need to fix the body mount holes (just the two closest to the firewall) and did a search here to get some info. I still have a couple of questions. Is there a template that will ensure I get the 1.50 inch hole in the right place? In my searches, someone mentioned some measurements for the placement of these holes, does anyone have these?

Last question, (for now), is there any problem with using new poly body bushings that are 1/2 inch shorter? We think that my father's 68 has these and the only issue is a little extra grunting to get the trans crossmember out. Any other problems?

Thanks
Robb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 01, 06:20 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

The Body by Fisher Chassis Manual has all of the dimensions you will need. This manual, along with the Assembly Instruction Manual, are the two best references you will ever own. Well worth $30.

You can expect problems with steering column alignment, fender bracing, hood clearance, or any other item that requires precision alignment between the subrame and body-mounted components. On a street car it's really not worth it.

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 01, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

Does anyone have the Body by Fisher manual & can give me some of the dimensions? I'm hoping to fix the mounts this weekend and can't get the manual in time.

Thanks
Robb

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 01, 10:58 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

The two mounts at the firewall have locator holes, one in the body and one in the frame. These two locator holes are about 3/8" diameter and in addition to being able to approximately align the frame and body with them, you could use them as a refernce point for a repair. If you use the prefabbed repair plates available from National Parts Depot, or similar, they will already have that alignment hole in it so you you could just line up the new repair plate with the old locator hole.

Hope this helps.

Eric

------------------
68 Camaro, 383 small block with TH350 trans. 11.98's at 111mph and never trailered.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 01, 04:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

First of all, but some plate steel and make your own patches. I bought enough for several repairs for $5. The kits are a waste of money and the holes are not that accurate. Then, it's easy to align the repair plate by putting it in place with your new 1.5" hole lined up over the rotted area. I did it by eye, sighting on the bolt hole, then had the plate welded.Once I had the desired alignment, I let the body back down so the repair plate was held in place while welding. I did this for all four rear mounts.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode