More poly bushing questions... - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 02, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

I just spoke to Energy Suspension about their black poly bushing set (67-69 Camaro). After a while, they finally admitted that they must be 'lubricated periodically', even though they are impregnated with graphite.

I realize that some people have installed their bushings not too long ago, and they haven't squeeked yet. What about long term issues? How much lubricant did you use when installing the bushings? If yours squeeks, did you use a 'nominal' amount of lube (as perscribed by instructions)?

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 350, TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 02, 03:45 AM
David Pozzi

I don't see any down side to using as much lube as will fit in there. Maybe some might squeeze out, but so what?
If I were doing them on my car, I would drill and tap them for a grease fitting "just in case". Pollyurethane is a somewhat sticky material. I don't know if the graphite really helps enough or not, it sure doesn't hurt.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 Origonal owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer 65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 02, 05:01 AM
BC
Senior Tech

Exclamation

I cna tell you that the PST polygraphite bushing squeak badly, even tho they are graphite-impregnated! I will be drilling mine and inserting the grease zerks one of these days as David suggested. Yes, I used the 'nominal' amount of lube they provided. When I re-did the rear in my nova, I took the red Energy Susp. bushings out that were squeaking a little and just used a whole lot of moly wheel bearing grease on them when i re-assembled them. Just wipe up the excess that squishes out, but not a squeak yet!

Good luck,
Bill C.

------------------
Bill C.
Colorado Springs, CO

68 Camaro... someday!
71 Chevelle SS
70 Nova

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 02, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

Question

Thanks for your input guys. I was wondering, do you have any noise from the control arm bushing? Can you drill and tap these bushings for a zerk fitting? I first thought that anti-sway bar bushings were the main cause for noise, therefor installing a zerk fitting, but I can't see how you can do that for a control arm bushing. These are the bushings that I'm most worried about anyway.

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 350, TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 02, 05:46 AM
Senior Tech

I got so sick of the greasing and squeaking that I pulled EVERYTHING poly out and replaced it with factory. I can't tell the difference in the ride except it doesn't squeak. If you say its poly and for a Camaro on ebay, you'll sell them for a profit!

------------------
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 02, 10:21 AM
BC
Senior Tech

I was talking about the control arm bushings, I just haven't look at it real close to figure it out. The sawy bar bushings already have the grease zerks in them.

Bill C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode