Convertilbe subframe connectors by Global West - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 01, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

For those of you with first generation Camaro convertibles, Global West www.globalwest.net now offers a specially made convertible Camaro sub frame connector.

Their item number is 900C. They just came out with them and don't even have a price yet but will cost around $200.
I am trying to order a set now for my 69 Convertible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 01, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Correction. The Global West sub frame connectors cost $225.
I will get my order in another week and a half as soon as they make them.
If anyone wants to hit me up for questions when I get them in just email me.
[email protected] .
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 01, 11:42 AM
Senior Tech

I'm in too!!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 01, 03:05 PM
David Pozzi

Just so you know, the regular Global West subframe connectors hang low where they go under the front spring mount.
I had a set for a regular Camaro and sent them back as they looked like they would also cover the inner spring mount bolt, and I didn't want to have to fight with that when I changed springs later.
GW said the bolt deal would not be a problem once they were welded on. I decided to weld the connectors inside the car, through the passenger footwell like CarlC did. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 01, 02:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

In looking at the article in CHP, they only weld at the rear and bolt to the subrame with a single bolt. Don't get me wrong, I have most of Doug Norrdin's products and love them. But it would seem to me that they will hang a little low since they clear the floor bracing. Detroit Speed also sells theirs now but you will need to cut the floor bracing to tuck them tight to the floor. Same process as Carl did. I think they will offer better rigidity. However, it is nice to have the choices.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 01, 06:00 AM
Senior Tech

The Global West connectors for the convertibles do hang down to clear the bracing that the convertible has that the coupe doesn't. If your car is a bit lower than stock, you may run into ground clearance problems. However, they are a simple bolt on product.

If you want your car to be very rigid and structurally sound, weld-in subframe connectors are the way to go. At Speed Merchant in San Jose, CA, we are building a Pro-Touring 69 Convertible Camaro. We installed Detroit Speed & Engineering subframe connectors. They are really nice. http://www.racehome.com/images/camar...fitboth-sm.jpg

More pictures are at: http://www.racehome.com/new.htm
--in the "PICTURES" area

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

Brutal 68 Pro-Touring Camaro - 433 CID - 700R4 - 13" Baer's - Ford 9 inch - DS&E control arms - Daily driver
Best time: 13.11 -- 111mph -- 2.68 60ft http://www.racehome.com/images/120300car2-small.jpg
http://www.racehome.com/
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 01, 02:03 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

One concern that I have with the GW connector is the size of the tube.

The tube size is fine for axial loading but may be deficient in bending and torsion properties.

If my brain serves me a smaller round tube is used. It's also longer than the DS or the "homemade" types since it welds to the side of the frame rail. Length is a killer of torsional rigidity.

It would be interesting to hear Doug's viewpoints on this.

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 01, 03:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Garage
I ordered a set last week.

What I liked about GW's is that even though they may hang a little lower, you don't have to hack into the connector or crossmember to make them fit. I was concerned about losing the strength of the connector if it's notched (south side machine style). And I didn't want to cut up the floor either.

I'll post when they're installed in the next few weeks.

------------------
68 Camaro ragtop, original 327, angle plug Camel humps, 202's, Performer, Holley 600, Doug's Headers, 3-speed Saginaw, 3.08 posi
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 01, 06:01 AM

i just ordered a set too. they're on backorder.
seems these dudes are going to cash in on the fact that us convertible owners have been neglected for so long!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 01, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

I just got my Global West sub frame connector order in the other day. They are very long and tubular. They bolt to the front sub frame and weld to the 45 degree angle part of the rear frame rails just in front of the rear axel.
They do hang down a couple of inches from the floor supports.
I am lowering my car 2" so I will have to be careful driving over speed bumps. I still think these are better than the ones that require you to cut your floor. Personal preference but I want to be able to bring the car back to original if I change my mind some day.

------------------
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 01, 06:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Garage
jrager, post after you get 'em installed. Mine should be here next week.

Did you order their bushings too?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 01, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

Yes, I do have a set of the Global West standard height aluminum sub frame bushings. I will be installing the bushings and the sub frame connectors this week.
I hope I don't have any problems installing the bushings and the sub frame connectors.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 01, 09:30 AM
Tech Team

Thumbs up

jrager, someone has to go first. Let us know how it goes. There are alot of ragtop people out here that don't want to cut up thier floor pans. Good luck.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 01, 07:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Randy

Come on guys! Inquiring minds want to know! How well do they fit?

------------------
-Randy
Cars:
68 RS/SS BB ragtop
63 Nova II ragtop
Club:
Camaro Club of Kansas City
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 01, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

It looks like they will fit perfectly.

I will be installing the Global West convertible sub frame connectors tonight and will let everyone know how it went.
Just from holding them up to my floor it looks like I will loose a couple of inches in ground clearance. They bolt to back of the front sub frame. The connector is a steal tube that is bent down slightly (just off of the front sub frame) to avoid the convertible supports in the floor. The connector tube runs all the way back to the rear frame rail, angels out a few inches and connects to the rear frame rail where the frame angles upward.

I will take digital pics of the connectors and the installation process and post them to my web site as fast as I can. I will publish my URL with the pics in a reply to this discussion topic within a couple of days.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode