67 big block suspension (long but concise) - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 02, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

ok guys, im really wanting to make a decision but theres just too many options. help me please!!

my car: 67SS 396. mono leaf. tired engine but still wheel hops bad! 4spd M21 tranny. 25-26 inch tires on 14X7 rims. going to do the subframe connectors too (probably GW).

my goals: a street motor with lots of torque. looking at 500 lbft and 400+hp. i want it great light to light. (i mean get thrown in the trunk kinda torque). i want to be able to smoke tires and have absolutely no wheel hop at all! im gonna run 25-26 inch tires and dont want the car too low (i dont like that pro touring look...i want it at stock height or just a little lower)

my options (suggest more if you like)

option 1: hotchkis front and rear springs.
pros: good quality, probably no wheel hop
cons: lowers the car 2" in the front and 1.5 in the back. can you use the landrum spacer to raise the front with hotchkis coils?

option 2: Global West front and rears
pros: good quality (although ive heard otherwise). probably no wheel hop.
cons: lowers the car but not as much as the hotchkis (maybe only an inch-1.5)

option 3: Landrum parabolic mono rear
pros: doesnt lower the car. lots of drag racers use them.
cons: i dont know about quality. might actually raise the car too much! landrum says not to run cal tracs with the parabolics. but ive heard that any mono will wheel hop to a point...

landrum front coils
pros: can use the landrum spacer to adjust my front ride height (ive heard that you cant use a landrum spacer with other types of springs ... hotchkis, GW)

so looking at these options, which would you guys go with? remember, i want no wheel hop... thats my first priority, but i also dont want the car lowered too much.

any opinions on the landrum spacer to raise my front coils would be great too. as well as the kind of bushings to use as well... (are GW del a lum overkill for a street car? Is PST polygraphite good stuff? how bout other polygraphite??)

ok guys, sorry for the long post, but im just going crazy and want to turn my 67 into a street fighter instead of the Queen Mary.

thanks guys
jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 02, 10:32 AM
Senior Tech

You want torque? Drop in a Pontiac 455!

What are you going to do with your 396?

[This message has been edited by 1967 Panther (edited 03-04-2002).]
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 02, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

im keeping the 396 in there cause its the original motor. i knows its not gonna be like a 454 or a 502 but i think i can build an awesome 396 torque motor (enough for me)

so any ideas on suspension??? thats what im really needing help with now

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 02, 10:55 AM
David Pozzi

I would use either the Hotchkis or GW rear springs whichever is stiffer.
The Hotchkis are around 175 lbs/in according to my testing of them which is difficult to do reliably.
I feel the Hotchkis may be too soft for the power you have, and the power I will be having in my 67 too. I needed something to start out with and chose the Hotchkis as a good starting point.

I autocrossed with Guldstrand rear springs which worked GREAT!
The only problem is they have bronze bushings in them that rattled my teeth.
I don't have a rate on them to compare but will when I get them off the car.

Front to rear springing is a very important balance.
I had no wheel hop on my 67 at all and it was great after having mono leaf spirngs on there.

If you use the Landrum adjusters, use the springs that go with them that arre 9.5" tall, 5" dia. they are flat on one end to fit the adjuster.
David
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 Origonal owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 02, 11:33 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Hey Jeff change your profile!! You're not in OH any more...

Are the upper shock mounts in such a place that changing the shock plates to '68 or 9's would allow for running staggered shocks. Is there other fabbing or is there an adapter for the uppers to allow staggered shocks? Seems that might be a part of the wheel hop solution since going from mono leaf to multi will require plates and shocks to be changed anyway...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 02, 01:31 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to CamaroNOTcamero
i think you should go for 2" drop in the front and 1.5" in the back, it looks sweet on the stock style. Trust me you'll like, if the old springs are crappy, it'll turn out to be a similar ride height to what you have now, but much stiffer and it'll help that big block turn a little better.
I'm the same way, i know lots of guys love the pro touring, but i'm into the drag racing look, or Pro street.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 02, 01:49 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

I agree with David. Using the Landrum adjusters is soooooo much easier to deal with than cutting springs. Plus, if you need to raise the ride height the adjusters will do that, while a fixed length spring will require funky spacers.

Beware when the ride height gets too low. According to Dick Guldstrand the center of the sphere in the lower ball joint should be 1/2" lower than the center of front A-arm bolt. This helps to reduce geometry changes.

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 02, 02:10 PM
David Pozzi

Dennis, no way to easily move the rear shocks. I may try it on my 67 if I have time.
I got by pretty well without moving the shocks on my 67 by using Guldstrand three leaf rear springs.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 Origonal owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 02, 05:22 PM
Banned

Imho, a set of cheap "slapper-bars" will control all the wheel hop your mono's will ever have if you want to install them and then take the time to "tune" them so that your rearend is loaded properly upon take-off. pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode