Help selecting brake components for 4 disk '69 - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 03, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Posting this message on several sites, cuz I知 desperate for answers.

Help! I知 having trouble figuring out what to order for my brake system for my 69 Camaro, so I知 looking for help here. I致e called Inline-Tube and Classic tube and Rick痴, and I知 more confused then ever. The fact that I need to build the system from scratch seems to completely stomp them . They all say they have no idea what I need to order form them.

I have Willwood痴 disks on all 4 corners. They came with my Alston Subframe (11 セ with Dynalites) and Moser 12 bolt (e-brake with drum parking brake). That痴 all I have to date! Both brakes came with braded caliper lines. I need everything else from there on up , including the master (I知 going manual). Alston CW said to go with a 1 , or better yet 7/8 bore master.

So I知 looking for help here. Anyone else have Wilwoods on all 4 corners with a manual master (or even if you don稚 but know what I need anyway)? If so please respond or eMail me ([email protected]) so I can figure out what I need to order. Since I want be able to mount the master in the stock bolts/hole, I was going to go with the stock 69 Camro drum master cylinder which has a 1 bore. I called Wilwwod, and he suggested hunting down a Vette Master which was 1蚤nd would bolt right up. Any other suggestions/comments?

For the pre bent tubing, Inline Tube was absolutely no help at all, and that phone conversation was a wash. The guy from Classic Tube said I would need stock master and stock Proportioning valve for their tube kits to fit (and they would supply an adjustable proportioning valve for adjustments)?

Anyway, hope someone out there can help me figure what to order, as the vendors are no help

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 03, 03:06 PM
David Pozzi

If you bought the subframe from Alston, why not ask THEM?
It seems the company that made the subframe would make or sell all the other pieces you need. If they can't, I'd ask for a refund.

The vette 1" bore MC should work depending on your calper bore sizes which you haven't given, stay with a disc brake master cyl which will have large enough reservoirs.
I have doubts about the capacity of that brake system. It might stop you once at the drags, probably not good for repeated stops though.

If you wanted E-mail replies, there was a check box for that when you posted this message. The forum sofware will then send forum replies to your E-mail box.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 03, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks David. I asked Alston back when I first got the Subframe, and they said to go with the 1 or 7/8 bore manual master. My problem is not with the subframe, which is designed as a bolt in with all stock mounting locations intact (except for the trans x-member..but I dgress), but rather my problem is that I started with a shell of a car ... literally. I am starting completely from scratch. You can pretty much consider it a Kit car that looks like a Camaro! I just want to make sure I select the correct master Cylinder and line, as I hate dealing with mail order (or internet) returns. So guess I'm ultimately looking for someone who might have a simlar setup (not the subframe, but the 4 Dynalite II Wilwood brakes on a 1st gen)

Thanks for reminding my to put the caliper dimensions in! My front calipers are Wilwood Dynalite II .81 wide, 1.75 piston diameter (from the spec sheet I have in front of me). As for the rear, I知 not 100% sure, as the Moser and Wilwood e-brake were a package deal, and it shipped yesterday. However I do know it痴 the billet same Dynalite II as are on the front.

BTW, I always check the 田heck box for eMails. I left my email address, because I often get into detailed side discussions with people when I ask questions. Sometimes I get 2 eMail replies for every forum reply. Some people seem more comfortable typing an eMail answer, which is a-ok with me as I get my answers [img]smile.gif[/img]

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 03, 04:18 PM
Senior Tech
Don

I've got that Wilwood setup on my 67, along with a Martz subframe and Currie 12 bolt.

I'm using the Corvette 1" master, and for what it's worth, a 70 Monte Carlo booster.

Nothing is wrong with the hydraulics, the pedal feels great, and is just right IMO.

But I'm not crazy about the front rotors. A search in this forum would show discussions on the subject.

Like David said, they are primarily drag race brakes.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't mess with Texas!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 03, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

ZZ430DropTop67RS,
1) What distribution block and proportioning valve do you have?
2) What year Vette is the Master from?

Like I said, I have to acquire everything form scratch.

I致e read about the wilwood doubts here and PT.com, but that痴 what I havecame with the package, and Baer said they did not have any that would fit the CW SF. I知 just a programmer learning about putting a PT project together as I go a long. Stumbling quite a bit at that.

Thanks.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 03, 05:22 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Quote:
Originally posted by craigon:
ZZ430DropTop67RS,
1) What distribution block and proportioning valve do you have?
2) What year Vette is the Master from?

Prop valve is 79 Trans Am 4-wheel disc. I plumbed in a Wilwood adjustable valve for the rear brakes, but I really didn't need it. I have it in the full open position, and had no problem with rear lockup. I installed it BTW, where the aftermarket 2-piece stainless rear brake line is junctioned, under the car. I made a bracket and mounted to the outboard side of the Martz sub, protected, but still accessible.

I used the complete front and rear stainless brake line kits from Classic Industries. I had to do some major tweaking on the lines to make it work with the subframe and the master cylinder/prop valve. It came out fine, but of course, the stainless tubing is a bear to flare.

The master is for a 76 Vette, "Deep bowls" Both bowls are the same size.

This image shows some of it>

Engine compartment

Good luck with the project [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[ 06-26-2003, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: ZZ430DropTop67RS ]
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 03, 10:20 AM
Senior Tech

Hey, I have a booster/master/prop kit and also a hardline kit for the front to rear and both front wheels!! It will all bolt together and bolt right up to the firewall. I can set you up with a 4 wheel disc master cyl and a 4 disc non-adjustable AC delco prop vale. Its all lifetime warrantied and fits excellent!

Matt
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 03, 05:01 AM
Senior Tech

Guy's I'll chime in here as well... I have the same setup as you, but don't have the car together yet! The direction that I intended to go with this setup is more along the lines of a circle track setup. I have a friend that is helping with the chasis setup and he originally made the suggestion and showed me how it was setup. You actually use dual master cylinders one for each end of the car. You can easily setup braking bias and pressure build is much easier when you only have to supply enough for one set of calipers rather than two. I know Wilwood has such a setup as well as other aftermarket brake suppliers. Just something to make you think about.

Best of luck,
Tom

1967 Prostreet Camaro BBC TH 400 w/4,500 stall 4:56 gears,narrowed and tubbed...

1969 Convertable RS Clone 385 TH 400 w/2800 stall 3:73 gears

1966 Pontiac LeMans... Soon to be a GTO clone.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 03, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thumbs up

Thanks Tom. My project is in pieces too (Since 4/2000). I ended up going with a Vette Manual master at the suggestion of both Wilwood and Chris Alston's (who made my subframe). I then got a pre-bent SS tube kit and 50/50 bias stock typo 4 disk proportioning valve from Matt above. I also picked up an adjustable p-valve to plumb into the rear line as ZZ430DropTop67RS did 屠ust in case the bia needs tweaking. The dual master sounds like the ultimate way to go though. That will make for a good future project/enhancement. Hopefully, I can eventually figure out how to mount a set of Baer brakes on the Alston subframe, as no out of box kit is available last time I inquired. When I do, that would be a good time to do the dual masters. My project burn out (which is coming on strong after 3 years) will be gone by then!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 03, 06:11 AM
Senior Tech

Craigon,

Glad to at least spark some new ideas....As far as hitting burnout with the project, I found a way to eliminate that! I bought another car for my wife and have been working on that one instead. Besides when hers is comepete, which I hope to have done in the next several month's I can get back to mine. Should make it seems like a whole new project then

Cheers,
Tom

1967 Prostreet Camaro BBC TH 400 w/4,500 stall 4:56 gears,narrowed and tubbed...

1969 Convertable RS Clone 385 TH 400 w/2800 stall 3:73 gears

1966 Pontiac LeMans... Soon to be a GTO clone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode