With bolt ons how good can a 68 camaro handle? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 03, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Trancebot
say you lower the car ad energy suspension hotchkis shocks/springs etc

what kind of handling can you get out of the car?

1968 camaro, pst all around/1"drop all around, 13"willwood disk front/drum back, Hoopers 3.55 12 bolt aburn LSD, 350 performer rpm intake, th350 trans. Far from finished!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 03, 07:08 AM
Senior Tech

Welcome to the board.

Your question is pretty broad and generalized, but with a well planned, well tuned bolt on suspension , you could get a or a little over 1g latteral. In other words, right up there with a new Camaro, Corvette or Viper and save $40,000.00 up front.

Now mind you that the 'well planned, well tuned' part is increadibly involved, as there are multiple aspects that have to be choreographed together. You cant just slap some bolt ons and go, then expect it to pull 1g+ without some thought. (1g being a good goal)

With John's (Hotchkis) spring package and some select bushings, shocks, subframe connectors, and the Guldstrand mod (which is free, except your time involved).....you will get a greatly noticeable improvement in handling, braking and accelerating. With some select parts, then becoming a total cracker and tuning the bjesus out of it, you could be right there next to a new Camaro or Mustang at 0.85 to 0.92ish G latteral.

However, the Global West "Negative Roll" suspension for the 1st Gen is about the only 'all in one kit' that you can drop on your ride and expect some where around 1g without even trying. It's cost is right at about $4,200.00 everthing said and done partwise (including front brakes)....and then you'll need appropreiate wheels and tires from there.

$4,000.00 is cheap if you ask me. As I know of many that have spent considerably more than that, and they are no where NEAR 1g in reality. Nor will you get there with a simple spring change.

But on the other hand, some cheaper, select parts can and will get you far better handling than stock (and rivaling Global Wests package) for say.....$2,750.00 in parts (plus brakes, so $3,750.00 total). And bring on the Corvette, Viper and others!!!! If you were to select the right components. Even then, you could get 1g+ out of that as well.

Both of the noted routes are about $4k anyway you look at it. One is more towards a street ride with a softer, more compliant spring and the other is basically a full blown road race package with spring rates capable of running at higher than street legal speeds. Stiffer or softer, its still $4k in the end. But, true handling is a function of spring rate anyway. The more you have, the more you are capable of.......

You have many routes. Choose wisely.......

[ 06-25-2003, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: chicane67 ]
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 03, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Trancebot
thanks for the welcome and thanks for the much needed info [img]smile.gif[/img]

1968 camaro, pst all around/1"drop all around, 13"willwood disk front/drum back, Hoopers 3.55 12 bolt aburn LSD, 350 performer rpm intake, th350 trans. Far from finished!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 03, 09:59 PM
Senior Tech

On my 68, I installed a front end rebuild kit from "Performance Suspension Technology".That kit alone made a world of difference in the way it handles.The kit comes with all urethane bushings and other hardware. I also got the 1.25" swaybar.Since then I've added front and rear springs. They were basically stock replacments for the wore out ones.Everything together cost less than $800. Now, I'm not going to out handle a new Corvette or Camaro, but I'll sure tear it up around the riceburners.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 03, 02:05 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

The Hotchkis system is very good for increasing the handling of 1st Gen Camaros. I think Eibach also makes a very good matched system among a few others. Any way you go there will be a marked difference from "stock" handling and likely a very dramatic difference from your car's current handling condition.

The best low buck change you can make will be a bigger front sway bar. This will effectively give you a stiffer spring rate and radically increase stability and cornering. If your front springs are worn out then you should replace those as well (they are inexpensive but a pain to replace)- now the decision is whether to lower the car or not and there are good parts to take you either direction. Lowering can also help your car handle better.

Personally I chose the Hotchkis matched lowering system and it has made a night and day difference with how my car handles- but I also had very worn out front end components so the change was very dramatic for me. I have yet to push my car very hard, but it handles much better than both of my new daily driver VWs- especially since I put on new 17" wheels and lower profile tires.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 03, 01:55 AM
Senior Tech

Trancebot...I did the same thing that Kool did. It's a hell of a deal. And if you buy that 'front end rebuild kit' you are eligible to buy a Helwig 1 1/8" sway bar for $109.

I am going to be adding a page to my website tonight called: 'What I've Learned..." I think you will find it very informative.

In it, I detail everything I've learned thus far on building a Pro-Touring car for less money.

It should be up tonight by 8pm EST. [img]smile.gif[/img]

1968 Pro-Touring Camaro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode