A-arm bushing point measurements? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 03, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Question

Does anyone have, or can they take measurements of their upper and lower A-arms at the bushing flanges?

This would help a lot of people determine if their arms have been bent. I've got an arm (upper) that I know for sure is bent at one of the bushing holes and I can repair it but I don't know how far back to move it.

Can someone with known good lower arms measure the inside dimension between the bushing flanges and then the outside edges? And also the outside bushing flange edge to edge on the uppers? As close as you can approximate within a sixteenth.... nothing scientific. I'm sure they're all different

Then we'd at least have a little better idea how far off and how much to move them back. I know there could be a dozen different measurements from a dozen different people but at least we could "guess-timate" a good average of the dimensions and have a pretty close final figure. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I measured mine but didn't compare them to the cooresponding mounting points on the subframe yet. I want to try to adjust the bushing points to mate my frame as perfectly as possible. I know, LOTS of work!

Thanks in advance anyone.... I'll owe you a cold one.

EDIT: I realize it's more important that the bushings be straight in relation to their pivot points. But knowing an approximate proper length dimension for the centerline between them will help.

[ 07-11-2003, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: HwyStarJoe ]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 03, 01:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I just saw this post and will measure a spare set I have. However, I know when I pressed in the bushings, and made a L spacer to avoid bending them, that both sides weren't equal. Close but not the same. I'll post them anyhow. They didn't look bent and, who knows, given late 60's precision.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 03, 07:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Joe, I got these off of 4 uppers and 3 lowers.

UCA

The originals ( still with bushings ) measure 9 11/16 and 9 12/16 between the flanges. The other ones that I have put bushings in measure 9 10/16 and 9 11/16.

LCA

The one original measures 1 7/16 between the 'ears' on both with an inside distance of 9.5. The other two, that I have put bushings in, also measure 9.5 inside and the ears are 1.5 on one and 1 7/16 on the other.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 03, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Guess

My uppers came to 9 7/8" and 9 3/4", plus or minus a 1/16th. That's the inside dimensions.
Close enough! Thanks Rick... I guess I massaged the bent one just right.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode