Leaf Spring Question for Chicane67 - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 03, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have compiled all of the necessary parts to rebuild my front suspension, and now I'm moving to the leaf spring. Based upon information provided by you and others on this site, I'm looking to match the leaf springs to the front springs on my 67. The front suspension consists of the following items:

Koni Shocks
15/16" Front Sway Bar
Del-a-lum Bushings
Moog Ball joints, inner/outer tie rods
Stock A-arms
HyperCoil Springs (Nascar style 600# )
Afco Spring Adjusters

I currently have 5 leaf springs on the car and I'm not looking at lowering the rear that much if at all. I intended driving style will be mainly street cruising with a few trips to the dragstrip periodically. Also, I will be utilizing Cal-Tracs traction bars and the car will not be carving corners.

Can you recommend a replacement spring? I'm leaning more towards a custom spring from Eaton, I just wanted your opinion on the rate.

Thanks in advance.

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 03, 07:59 AM
Senior Tech

Question

While you're at it, Chicane67...

I printed out your spring sheet and have been talking to Betts in San Leandro about some new leaf springs.

The car is a 1964 Nova Mexican road racer, full cage, frame connectors, stock spring location.
Front end - stock upper and lower arms (required), Global West bushings, 700# springs, 1-1/8" swaybar, Koni custom made shocks, Wilwood brakes.
Rear end - 9" Ford with 11" drums, 3.25 gears, presently with some generic 3-leaf replacement springs, Koni adjustable shocks.
Engine - 331" SBC, 300-325 hp @ 6500' elevation, 340#ft of torque.
Tires - 195-60-14 T/A R1's or a Yoko A032R
Weight about 3600#, including driver, navigator, spare tire and parts, tools, jack, 16 gallons of gas, etc. Weight on rear springs is 1750#.

What would be a good spring rate for the rear leafs? Our generic 3-leaf replacements are sagging badly. Thanks.

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 03, 06:52 AM
Senior Tech

Looking at Speedway's catalog shows a 225#/in to 250#/in for the heavier cars. How does the dual front wrap affect the rate?

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 03, 05:38 AM
Senior Tech

No help?

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 03, 09:32 AM
Senior Tech

I can't say for sure, but I know Tom is in the midst of relocating out of the area, he could be tied up with things and not able to reach the board. My guess is that he'll be pretty busy for a while here. You might try to e-mail him, but then again, if he's moving his e-mail address may be changing.

If I see him before he leaves I'll mention the request to him to make him aware of it.

Mark

69 SS, ZZ430 Look-alike, Tremec TKO, Hotchkis Suspension
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 03, 03:29 AM
Senior Tech

I took an old leaf spring to Jorge at Betts Spring in San Leandro today for measuring purposes. He remembered the double wrap front half springs he made like the ones on chicane67's spring sheet.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 03, 05:28 PM

I believe the spring Jorge remembers is the one I had him make with Tom's design. It is a 270 lb/in spring. It provides a ride height reduction and front wrap. I am in the middle of putting together the group purchase as mentioned on another post. If you are interested in these, let me know and you will get a better price from Bett's.

Ken
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 03, 07:03 PM
Senior Tech

Jorge made us some 250#/in springs for our road racing Nova, and they came out really well. The ride height is right where we want it and it certainly stiffened up the rear of the car. It only took about 2 days to get them made, and I was very pleased with the service. They will adjust the arch for free if it isn't satisfactory.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 03, 02:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Ken, have you been able to road test and see how you like the spring rate?

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 03, 07:21 AM

Rick,
No I haven't. I still need to finish with the brakes. I have to install the rear lines, then fill and bleed the system. The progress is slow with all the committments I have now.

Maybe onovakind67 can give you a better idea. It sounds like his springs are very similar, only 10 lbs/in different in rate.

Ken
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 03, 08:37 AM
Senior Tech

I'd be interested in hearing onovakind's response too. How do they seem to put the power down out of turns? Braking? Might not be really fair comparison until the rest of the car is sorted for the new rate, etc, but it would be great to hear the differences.

Mark

69 SS, ZZ430 Look-alike, Tremec TKO, Hotchkis Suspension
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 03, 10:24 AM
Senior Tech

We are flying kinda blind with our Nova, you don't find much info on road racing them. We had been using some stock replacement multi-leafs and a heavy sway bar, but the leafs were collapsing and the car was sitting at an angle. After a couple trips through Mexico and learning what works on other leaf spring cars, we decided to ditch the swaybar and increase the spring rate considerably. Most 'road racing' is not done on the road, but at a relatively smooth track with left and right turns. We are racing on public roads with unpredictable corners, speed bumps, water, leaves, trees, potholes, cows, etc, so what works at Sears Point or Thunderhill doesn't necessarily translate to the mountain roads of Mexico. We are limited to 14"x6" wheels and 60 series tires, stock control arms and stock shock and spring locations, so keeping what tires we have in contact with the road is our primary concern. We don't generate a lot of horsepower, a 331" 2-bbl motor at 7000' makes an honest 300-325 hp.
I should have the car on the road by this weekend for some initial testing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode