Brake fixes? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 01, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to CamaroNOTcamero
well my drum brakes are really crappy (i dont know how else to put it) and are soft. i really want to switch to disk in the front, and maybe get drop spindles (i like the dropped front, raised rear dragster look, to a point, if its too wild its not cool.
anywho, so far the only kits i've seen are in jegs for $1182 for the front (only) brakes, cylinders lines, master, powerbooster and 2" drop spindles.
i think its really pricey, and includes a whole bunch of stuff i do not need. anyone know of a kit for replacing the front with disks, that bolts on to, and does anyone know any places that sell "bolt-in" drop spindles?
to fix the rear i think i'll just have new pads installed, and run new lines.
thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 01, 07:25 PM
David Pozzi

Try Master Power or some of the other vendors.
I don't like the drop spindles, they put the steering arm so low it hits the tire sidewall if you have wide tires.
Lowering the stock suspension actually puts the upper A frame in a better position on the camber "Curve".

I have info on disc brake donor cars if you go that route, check my suspension page.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 01, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i dont have really wide tires, i think only 6.5" tread width radials in the front. i'll check out master power and your site. thanks dave.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 01, 11:57 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

I'm with Dave. I put a kit like the one you mentioned with drop spindles and have regretted it ever since. Go with lowering springs, definitely. It accomplishes the exact same thing and if you ever want to widen your fronts, you have no interference. I had to order specially made 15x6 Rallys with 3 inches of backspacing to fit the drop spindles. I ordered the whole kit from from one of those suspension companies and I ended up replacing the two calipers and master cylinder at AutoZone because the ones in the kit were defective. But that's another long and frustrating story...

You can definitely save yourself some cash (or at least more than I did!) by buying as much as you can at your local parts store and getting stuff like spindles, drop springs, poly bushings, sway bar, etc. thru the catalogs.

Or if you are real resourceful (and patient), you can find some stuff at a junkyard...but I didn't have much luck with that.

Good Luck.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 01, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i just replaced the front springs with stock height ones a couple weeks ago, so i'm just gonna go with new brakes that bolt onto my old spindles if i do it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 01, 09:51 AM
Tech Team

Drum brake spindels are different from disc spindles. If youre going to add discs you need to get disc spindles or machine the top mounting boss on your spindels down. Or go with a setup like Baer Brakes offers that will fit your drum spindels.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 01, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i decided today that i'd put off new brakes for a while and just buy pads for my drums. i want to start different projects like rear/trans/engine.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 01, 04:32 PM
Senior Tech

I've found that drum brakes work fine when properly adjusted and maintained. With a manual trans, I like manual brakes...with auto trans I like power brakes. having p. brakes on a manual feels strange. The clutch is hard and the brakes are soft

(I know tis has absolutly nothing to do with your post, but I felt like babbling)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 01, 09:01 AM
Tech Team

Also go to carquest and get some good pads. I just put on ceramics on my commuter.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 01, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

whats the phone # or internet addy for carquest? thanks
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 01, 04:10 PM
Senior Tech

If it were me, I'd put the money first into the brakes. I had 4 wheel drums and switched to front power discs. Best $900 ever spent. There's a reason even the lowest of the low end cars built today have front disks. Horsepower is nice, but putting the go in with out the whoa is just plain crazy in my book. Be safe.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 01, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i'll just fix the drums for now, i realise it would be a good idea to get disks, but i dont want to spend alot on brakes until i do what i want with the motor trans and rear, then i'll invest in nice brakes.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 01, 07:32 PM
Senior Tech

I've got manual drums on my 67. I've found that if you rebuild them with new parts, that they work perfectly adequately for street driving. I replaced my pads with Bendix pads and new master cylinder and wheel cylinders all around. I drive my 67 daily, and they work perfectly fine. I'd love to put a disc conversion on it, but it's hard to justify the cost when the stock drums work perfectly fine.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 01, 03:51 AM
Senior Tech
John

if you are going to build a big horse motor, you're gonna need a car to put it in. Get the disks first, it might save you from an accident.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode