Front Disc Brakes - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 02, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Ok here is the deal I am buying spindle, caliper, and rotor from a 72 ElCamino for my 68 camaro, will this ElCamino also have the "Bracket" that I need? also I am not going with power disc brakes just the manual disc, so which master cylinder do I need? And as far as the bracket, which bracket do I need. I am buying these parts within the next couple days so could any one help with these questions?

Thanks

------------------
68inthemakin

[This message has been edited by christopherj68 (edited 03-19-2002).]

[This message has been edited by christopherj68 (edited 03-20-2002).]

[This message has been edited by christopherj68 (edited 05-17-2002).]

[This message has been edited by christopherj68 (edited 05-17-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 02, 05:54 AM
Guess

Check out David Pozzi's web site.... it'll give you a lot of info on your suspension.
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...suspension.htm
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 02, 08:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

You can contact Jim Dyer at 209/941-2112, he can provide you with a pair of spindles with single piston disc brakes. These bolt on to your car (I have them on two of mine) and the only other part you will need is a disc type brake line available from any NAPA or other full line auto parts house.
The price should be way under the cost of most of the advertized conversions.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 02, 08:10 PM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Send a message via AIM to CFunK
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vintage 68:
You can contact Jim Dyer at 209/941-2112, he can provide you with a pair of spindles with single piston disc brakes. These bolt on to your car (I have them on two of mine) and the only other part you will need is a disc type brake line available from any NAPA or other full line auto parts house.
The price should be way under the cost of most of the advertized conversions.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PLEASE elaborate. I am planning on upgrading the power drums on the '67 this summer and looking for an INEXPENSIVE solution.

-Funk
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 02, 02:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Dear Mr. "Funk"

I'll try to elaborate a little more, but this could be a whole 'How to' in one of the mags. This conversion is very straight forward without having to purchase the kits from the various aftermarket guy's, not that there not any good, just a large investment for some.
You can buy the set of Spindles complete from Jim Dyer as I stated and have done many times OR if you have the time and resources locally (read junk yards) you can look for old Nova's from the 70's that have Disc front brakes and salvage the parts from them. I've done both to about a dozen plus Camaro's over the years and they have all worked great! The amount of scrounging and cleaning you need to do is the major difference.
I always completely clean, paint and rebuild the assemblies before I install them and use new bearings and seals etc...
The brake hose from the frame to the Caliper will have to be changed to a Disc type. Use the hose for a 72-73 Camaro with front disc. (don't have the number here at work, but I can get it later), they run @$40 o ea.
You really can use any dual master cylinder if you replace the residual check valve in the front outlet with a open orifice type so no pressure is held on the caliper, but I replace the original drum type with a Disc Type off of a late 60's early 70's chevy pick-up as it has a larger piston size (better pedal feel) and is the Delco/Moraine type used on many early chevy disc brake set-ups. These are easy to find at most Auto Parts stores, just keep looking through the stock numbers until you find the "roundish' one with a 1 1/8" bore. The 1 1/8" bore cylinder is plenty for most applications, but if you want an even larger bore (1 1/4") use the one off late 70's 3/4 ton pick-ups with H.D. Disc (camper specials used these), these work well with big-blocks without power brakes.
There are a lot of questions about the use of a pressure delay valve, like the ones located under the drivers seat on factory A/C unit Camaro's. This valve was to delay the pressure signal to the rear brakes on these front heavy models to prevent them from locking up the rear before the front during hard braking. I have done conversions on cars with and without this valve and have found that if the larger Moraine type master cylinder is used and all the brakes are rebuilt and in good order rear brake lock-up is not a problem without the valve.
Sorry this ended up so long - but we're talking about brakes and it's best to have more info than necessary if you are working on them ( and there is any chance you may be behind me in traffic).
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 02, 02:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

That was supposed to be $40.00 ea.
Don't know what happened.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 02, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

What will I need in addition to this (reconditioned disc brake spindle assemblies which includes: used spindles, caliper brackets backing plates and steering arms (all previous parts have been blasted and detailed) Plus: new rotors, bearings, seals, rebuilt calipers w/new pads.) to make my front disc setup complete and is $450.00 a good price for what I have listed?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 02, 08:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

I'd say that price sounds fair enough for all you listed.
The other parts you'll need will be a Master Cylinder (Disc Type) and the hoses (2 each) from the frame to the calipers. The master and hoses should be at any of the larger parts houses. Use the information given earlier to find the right ones and go to David Pozzi's web site given for great information and pictures of the parts you'll need. You'll also need a quart or so of fresh brake fluid (DOT 4 works fine) to bleed the system.
This is a very rewarding conversion that will really change your enjoyment of your car. You can usually complete the swap with one days work and you get lots of whoa for your buck doing it this way.
It's a good idea to take a good look at the rest of the suspension, ball joints, bushings, etc. and replace it while you down there getting all greasy anyway.

------------------
'68 Rag-top SS350/350 (on it's way to a 200-4R)
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 02, 10:38 AM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Will this conversion fit in the stock 14" wheels?

-Funk
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 02, 11:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

It will fit stock 14" Disc Wheels. You will have contact problems between the Caliper and the inner rimm if you use Drum rims.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 02, 08:06 AM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vintage 68:
It will fit stock 14" Disc Wheels. You will have contact problems between the Caliper and the inner rimm if you use Drum rims.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man, that is NOT what I wanted to hear. The brake upgrade just got a whole lot more expensive.

What code is on the disc version of 14" wheels?

-Funk
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 02, 10:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Come on - somebody out there would love to have them stock wheels. Maybe you can get enough for them to help on a set of used rallys. If not, got the local wrecking house and get a set of 'stock' rims from a post '70 Camaro, Nova or Chevelle (Chevell Wagon rims are sweet). They are dirt cheap (@$10.00 each last time I bought some) and will work with the Disc and your're stock hubcaps. I'll bet their are hundreds of others that will work but I've never tried them.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 02, 11:32 AM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Sorry, I should have included a in my post.

I just dropped $350 on a new set of tires. Had to, the damn thing had the redline tires on it and was SCARY to drive. I will be looking for a set of 15's this summer.

-Funk
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 02, 01:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

The standard rim was 14X6 if I remember right. It can't be very hard to find 14X6's on a 1970+ Nova that would fit Dic. set-ups. They couldn't cost as much as rally's could they?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 02, 07:36 PM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Not trying to hassle anyone but what the hell was/is the difference between the disc and drum version of 14" rims for a 67 Camaro. Did GM really make a different 14" rim for drum or disc equipped cars in 1967?

The rims I have are 14x6 on a drum setup.

-Funk

[This message has been edited by CFunK (edited 03-22-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode