guldstrand or not?? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 01, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Talking

I think I have read every post with the words gulstrand in it. And I still dont know for sure. I was convienced to go ahead and cut them off and reweld but now I am worried about bumpsteer. I have read about it and understand what it is. Does the modification make it worse, so bad that I am going to have to bend my steering arm. I have a weekend 69 that I am building. I am putting the poly graphite bushing in it next month with a 1" sway bar. I am going to put coils in it, although I am still undecided which ones. I have read a bunch of posts but still not sure which way to go. I do want it to set lower just not sure 2" and I am not sure I want to cut coils. Do I need the Guldstrand? Will it make that much difference? Will it affect the bumpsteer? I can do the welding, that is not the problem. I am worried about the street driveablity of it? Help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 01, 05:15 PM
David Pozzi

I would do it. I have a feeling it makes the bumpsteer a little worse but I woudn't let that rule my decision.
If you are not autocrossing, running open track events, or carving corners on mullholland drive, the mod is probably not as important. But it sounds like you are very capable of doing it.
I'd slide the mount rearward 3/8" too, that will make running more positive caster use less shimms.
You most likely need to bend the steering arms now, so if they need a bit more after the mod, it won't make much difference.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 01, 06:59 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>.
You most likely need to bend the steering arms now, so if they need a bit more after the mod, it won't make much difference.
David

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

David, if he doesn't do the mod, why would the steering arms need to be bent?
I'm getting ready to rebuild the front of my 69 with new lower springs, etc, so the steering arm statement got my attention.

Thanks

joe

------------------
69 SS396 Resti-Clone
WCA Member
[email protected]
69 Pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...559&a=11674961

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 01, 08:53 PM
David Pozzi

Joe,
Based on my own measurements, and confirmed by a couple of articles I've read in the magazines, the firstgen has quite a bit of toe out under bump allready.
Running more positive caster helps to reduce it by lowering the outer steering arms, but it is still there to some extent.
If you have the springs out of your car you might check what you have now and see how much toe out under bump you are getting.
I don't have the article handy but I'd bet it toes out about an eigth of an inch per inch of bump. that's 1/16" (.0625") per side. measured at the tire tread front and rear at axle height.
It should allways be measured before ever thinking about fixing it.
When mounting the steering box and idler arm, anything you can do to raise them will help bump steer. the pitman arm side holes could be slotted to help. they are on third gen Camaros.
Otherwise, the only alternative is to bend the steering arm ends down.
David

------------------
David's Motorsports page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 01, 05:55 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Talking

Thanks, David. I thought maybe I would have to bend the arms just to lower the front 1 1/2-2". I don't do much more than "cruise" so at this point the bump steer hasn't been enough bother to mess with.

For now I am just going to rebuild everything with stiffer components. If I can raise the steering box/arm without much effort, I will do so. Any advice you can give is always welcome and appreciated! Your web site is a great source of information and inspiration.

If I decide to make it more of a canyon carver in the future, I'll be picking you brain even more!

Thanks

joe

------------------
69 SS396 Resti-Clone
WCA Member
[email protected]
69 Pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...559&a=11674961
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 01, 08:31 PM
David Pozzi

Joe,
Just put the steering box and pitman arm on with upward pressure to raise them as much as possible within the normal bolt hole slop.
I haven't tried this but if you gain a quarter inch in center link height, you will probably have cut bumpsteer in half.
I don't think it is as bad on some camaros for some reason. Mine was really bad. I had close to an inch of toe out at full bump!
David

------------------
David's Motorsports page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode