11" Rear Drum Brakes - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 02, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

I have a set of 11" drum brakes that will bolt up to the 12 bolt rear end in my 68 camaro that has the original 4 piston disc brake fronts, My question is would it help to put in bigger wheel cylinders, And would I need to worry about the proportioning valve with or without the larger wheel cylinders? And no I don't want to go disc rears on this car.Thanks for your help,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 02, 10:05 AM
BC
Senior Tech

1968Don,
I think you are making a wise decision not to go with the rear disk brakes and up grading to the 11" drums. I have them on my Nova and works just as good as the rear disks on my Chevelle. Do you know what the drums came off of? I used the backing plates and hardware off a 76 or 77 Monte Carlo, they have the 11" x 2" drum brakes. If you go with the big car 11" drums, I think they are 3" wide and require big car cylinders. The Monte 11" drums use the same cylinders as the stock rear drums I think, I didn't actually compare them. You should not have to change the prop valve either way, you just might get a tad more pedal travel with the larger cylinders.

Anyway, I did the whole upgrade to rear drums for under $100, which is a whole lot less than I did my rear disks for!

Good luck,
Bill C.

------------------
Bill C.
Colorado Springs, CO

68 Camaro... someday!
71 Chevelle SS
70 Nova
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 02, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your help, My brake set up is out of a 67+or- Impala and it has the 11x2 inch drums and 1" wheel cylinders

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 02, 04:18 PM
Senior Tech

Is the impala bolt pattern the same as the camaro? I though that the camaro was 4 3/4 and the big cars had a 5" pattern.
rick
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 02, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Yes it is the same bolt pattern, And I believe the Impalas came with the same ralley wheels as the Camaro. I think the later models had the bigger pattern
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 02, 04:40 AM
BC
Senior Tech

rick,
that bolt pattern has to do with the axle ends, not the backing plate. The rear end flange should be the same for all the early GM rearends, bolt 10 and 12 bolts.

If you use the 11" x 2" brakes, you should be fine.

Bill C.

------------------
Bill C.
Colorado Springs, CO

68 Camaro... someday!
71 Chevelle SS
70 Nova
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 02, 06:28 PM
Senior Tech

OK - Don't you need to use a larger drum to fit over the larger brake shoe? I know that the backing plates are larger and you would use the wheel cylinder/hardware from the 11" brake car.

Many years ago I spent the better part of an afternoon getting larger brakes off of an olds wagon. I thought that I was doin good. Got them home and the brake drum would not fit my axles. So I gave it all away. Are you saying that I could have used the backing plates etc and WHAT?? drums.
rick
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 02, 04:19 AM
BC
Senior Tech

rick,
I used the complete setup off a 76 of 77 Monte and used the 76 or 77 Monte rear drums. They are 11" drums and the pads are 11" x 2" and they have the correct 5 x 4 3/4" bolt pattern for our cars. What I don't know for sure is if you can get the backing plates off a big car, then just use the wheel cylinder and hardware and pads and all from the Monte. Might be worth a try. My setup that I pulled was in good shape, so I just rebuilt the wheel cylinders, put in all new springs and such, new pads and new drums and it worked great. No other mods required!

Good luck,
Bill C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode