rear suspension - I HATE how it feels. Need opinions. - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 03, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs down

Hey all. Finished converting my car to OEM 5-leafs (from monos), CE Slide-A-Link bars, solid bushings in the springs, poly in the frame rails, 1.5" lowering blocks, KYB shocks on all four corners, and stock springs (for now) up front.

The ride quality is terrible. I can feel every slight irregularity in the road. If I ran over a pebble I would probably notice! It's like riding in a paint can shaker. The road quality in Pennsylvania is horrible - that's not helping. On the few smooth roads we have, the car is ok.

What I really want is something tighter than stock but not a race car ride. I knew the aluminum bushings would probably be more than I wanted but they were required by the traction bars.

What would you guys suggest as a good compromise? I have Hotchkiss springs ready to go in the front. I was thinking maybe I would get the Hotchkiss rear springs, ditch the Slide-A-Links, and stick with Poly bushings. What do you guys think?

Chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 03, 01:13 PM

Dump the shocks........until they are up to 'running' temperature, they will ride like pogo-sticks. Hence the reason I never recommend them except for the 'thrifty' custom with a well stated warning on the ride quality.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 03, 03:01 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by chicane67:
Dump the shocks........until they are up to 'running' temperature, they will ride like pogo-sticks. Hence the reason I never recommend them except for the 'thrifty' custom with a well stated warning on the ride quality.
ok what do you reccomend for an inexpensive shock

I sold my Camaro,hope the current owner drives it.
Email
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I live near Albany,NY USA,
where are You?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 03, 03:20 PM

I think the Monroe 'Sensa Trak' is still available for the 1st Gen platform.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 03, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Chicane67,

Not sure exactly what you mean by running temp.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 03, 04:49 PM

Where do you have the Slide-a-links set? How much free play do they have at static ride height?
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 03, 05:12 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

I've never driven a car with 5 leafs so I can't judge how stiff they are supposed to be. I do know that the Hotchkis 3 leafs are pretty firm. I also know that though the KYB shocks are a good value for the performance, they can be overly stiff (in fact they are on the front of my car and I plan to be rid of them very soon).

I would suggest ditching the KYB's and installing a softer shock as a first measure. If still too stiff then you might want to consider swapping out springs. Traction devices can also add a measure of stiffness to the rear. I don't really need any traction aid with the Hotchkis springs, but I'm not drag racing!

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 03, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Scott (w/69), passenger's side has 1/4" gap, driver's side has a little more gap to help keep the right rear from kicking out. Pretty sure it's not the bars. It bounces under all conditions.

Scott (w/68), I didn't think the KYB's would be so stiff. I want it firmer than stock but this is seriously overboard.

Anybody using the Sensa Traks that Chicane suggested? How about the Edelbrock shocks?

Thanks everyone.
Chad
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 03, 01:57 PM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Send a message via AIM to CFunK
Wow, I have the KYB's on all four corners and don't think they are all that harsh.

Of course I ain't driving a Caddy.......

What is the spring rate on those 5 leaf'ers?

-Funk

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 03, 02:10 PM
Senior Tech

Cfunk, I am in the same boat, I have Eibach springs up front, Hotchkis 1.5" lowering leafs in the rear, and KYB shocks all around and am very happy with the ride. I just put all new Dunlop tires on and that made a world of difference...

1969 Camaro - GM 2003 Electron Blue
Beck Racing 383 cu in 465HP Engine - Sean Murphy Inductions Stage 2 Quadrajet
TCI Streetfighter 350 - 3.73:1 Posi 10 Bolt Rear - 12.6 sec qtr mile

and
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 03, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

CFunk,

Don't know the spring rate on the 5-leaf. I just know they're stock replacements. As for tires I have Firehawk 235/60 on the rear and 205/70 on the fronts. Both are 14" rims.

Chad
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 03, 06:51 PM

I learned this years ago when I first installed my homemade "slapper-bars" on my car.

If they are set tight, my car rode like a wagon b/c they were sooo tight the springs didn't work, period!!

I backed off my snubber bolts until she only slapped when I wanted it to AND it improved alot!!

That and tire pressure helped ride quality a bunch.. pdq67

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 03, 07:34 PM

Spring rate is right about 135#'s for a stockleaf, either 4 or 5. The Hotchkis spring are still pretty light at 175#'s.....

The Edlebrock are very much like Bilsteins (its a copy of the design with the rebound valving basically taken out), and they cost even more than a Bilstein as well?....... So far I'm not a big fan.

What solid bushings are you using? And to re-question the slide-a-links being set at?

I used KYB's in the past with close to stock spring rates and it was great, because it made up for not enough spring rate. But I have found, or in my opinion, they get to be a little too stiff for above stock spring rates.......

Maybe this is from the type of solid bushings and/or slide-a-link adjustment?
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 03, 05:01 AM

Duplicate post

[ 08-01-2003, 07:23 AM: Message edited by: Granny's 69 ]
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 03, 05:14 AM

Spongbob,

Sorry to hear that you are disappointed with the ride quality on your new rear suspension. When I start working on the rear suspension soon, I will go with the Vettebrakes 3 leafs & the poly graphite spring bushings. I'm still undecided about shocks, but I have narrowed it down to either Bilsteins or Monroe Sensa-trac's (depending on the budget at the time).

I think I would try a different shock first like what was suggested and if that wasn't enough to tame it down, I think I would replace the Alum. bushings with Poly or Rubber.

Let us know what happens,

Mark P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode