67 steering issue - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 03, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

I'm putting a 67 SS/RS convertable(if it matters) back together for a friend. He bought a new steering box(reman) and all new steering parts. When I went to put the centerlink on, I noticed it's not parallel to the cross member. Neither of us can remember if it is supposed to be or not. Of course, we don't have the old pitman arm or idler arm to compare with but it seems to me that one or the other of the new pieces is wrong.
Does anyone know what it's supposed to look like? I suspect it's the idler arm because it doesn't seem to fit right after the centerlink is bolted to the pitman arm.

Thanks
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 03, 07:40 AM
Guess

Jeff, read Davids steering page and see if it helps. There's a lot of comparison and measurements there that should give you a great idea what to look for. It sounds like you're right though....

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...eering_linkage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 03, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply. My other question was about the steering box itself. It has power steering and the new box has 4 threaded holes. I know most do but I can't say they ALL do. Again, of course, we've already turned in the core so we can't compare. Anyone know if all the GM boxes have 4 holes?

Thanks again
Jeff

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 03, 08:29 AM
Guess

Someone just asked that this past weekend, I think.

They're Saginaw, not GM made, and Saginaw made them to fit many different cars. Don't take my word for it but I'm gonna guess that First Gen. Camaros came with 3-hole Saginaws, with replacements sometimes showing up with 4. They're the same box, just mount to more than one vehicle.
If I'm missing something, someone will definitly fill in the blanks.

By the way, Welcome to Team Camaro!

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 03, 12:37 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

I just dropped my original 69 steering box out yesterday, it had four holes. From what little research I've done recently, it seems that most if not all first-gens have the 4 hole box for the reason Joe mentioned - many different applications. Dave Pozzi's website posted above is a great resource for anything steering/suspension related. Based on that, the centerlink not being parallel shouldn't be a huge problem, mine isn't parallel either.

1969 Yellow/black Std Coupe Camaro. GMPP Crate 330hp/350 + TH350 trans.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 03, 07:13 PM
David Pozzi

I wouldn't worry about it, GM used the long or short pitman with a long idler in 67, and part way into 1968. The long and short pitman were used with a short idler in later 68 and 69.

The replacement Moog idler is in the middle for length.
Make sure to loosen the idler frame bolts to aid alignment of the center link to the idler.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 03, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Well, my luck doesn't usually run like this but an easter egg dropped in my lap on the way to work today(about 6 hrs after I first posted). I stopped at the gas station and lo and behold, an old timer with a 67 RS convertable! I asked to check his car out and this thing was unreal! Still had the chalk marks on the firewall! It had a 4 hole steering box and the centerlink was parallel to the crossmember. When I say my friends isn't parallel, I'm talking like 2 inches. That can't be right. The Ackerman would be a mess. Not that I'm an expert but I just can't believe it's right. I'll have to take a picture so you can see what I mean.

Thanks
Jeff
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 03, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to Dave Pozzi's site, I have determined that the idler arm is the 5.375" Moog unit. This is a picture of the setup.

http://members.cox.net/jpeterson40/00_00025.JPG

I'll have to get in touch with Rare Parts and try to get the right one.

Thanks for all your help

Jeff
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 03, 06:26 AM
Team Member
John

Quote:
Originally posted by HwyStarJoe:
They're Saginaw, not GM made, and Saginaw made them to fit many different cars.
Trivia - "Saginaw" was the Saginaw Steering Gear Division of GM, not an outside supplier. Still there today, but now it's part of Delphi since GM spun off their component operations under Delphi. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

JohnZ
CRG
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 03, 07:18 AM
Guess

Angry

Thanks for clarifying that John.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 03, 08:07 PM
David Pozzi

The long idler is for 67 models and some early 68's. Later Camaros used the short one as far as I have been able to find out. Your photo shows the center link to be pretty crooked allright.

It's hard to believe GM made Camaros with steering links like this...

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode