Rear Spring and Anchor plate? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 01, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

Okay new set of questions... In my '68 I have and unknown rearend (see post in tag team, I'm trying to figure out what it came out of) When I bought the car it had monoleaf springs on it, the rearend has multi-leaf spring perches on it, the stack up was spring perch/rubber pad/mono leaf/rubber pad/ 3/8" spacer/ then all held together with T-bolts and lakewood traction bars. I don't have any lower shock plates. After disassembling this I now know why my rearend moved alot when the trans shifted hard. I feel this is less than an ideal set up. Since I already have multi leaf perches and Hotchkis springs in the front I assume my best bet would be get the Hotchkis rear leaf assemblies. How complete is thier kit? I've been to the website and it looks like they include the springs and shackles but what about u-bolts and j-nuts for the frame etc... Now my main question, I want to dump the Lakewood traction bars, they look like they have hit every speed bump in existence. On David Pozzi's website he say's he is using the Hotchkis springs but some ford lower plates? What is my best option for lower spring plates. They appear to be $40 or so apiece in the catalogs like Classic and Year One. It sure cost's a lot of money to do things the right way....
Thanks,
MStarmer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 01, 05:11 PM
David Pozzi

You can get lower spring plates for a 68 from the resto vendors. Be sure to get multi leaf plates, they are thicker and the shock mount is higher up on the plate for better clearance.
I just posted some new photos and info on my rear suspension page a couple of days ago.

I'm going to cut off my old single leaf perches and use Ford type perches, U bolts, and lower plates. The lower plates are thicker and smaller than a Camaro plate.

The Hotchkis springs come with front rubber bushing, rear polly bushings only. No bolts, etc.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 01, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

David, what about the lower spring plates on the Tuckers website, Detroit speed and engineering.
Staggered Rear Shocks: 040301R
Non-Staggered Rear Shocks: 040301L

Price:
$52.00 / pair
They seem pretty beefy.
Thanks
Mike Starmer

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 01, 09:21 PM
Senior Tech

I got those Spring plates and they are very good quality.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 01, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

Ismail are you using them in a stock application and what are you using for shocks. Do you have a pic by chance of these installed? Thanks,
MStarmer
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 01, 06:10 PM
David Pozzi

I think the Detroit speed plates are Landrum or similar circle track type. The upper perch is like the Ford circle track type.
David

------------------
David's Motorsports page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 01, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

David would these work in my application with the Hotchkis springs? They look like they would. They seem to be the right price too! $52.00 a pair is a steal!

Mike
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 01, 09:38 PM
David Pozzi

nope, I tried my Landrum plates on my Camaro spring perches and it won't fit. The holes would have to be redrilled and they would half overlap the old holes. The plate is a bit smaller than stock and the shock mount is slightly different location, but I don't think it would cause trouble.

Maybe you can find someone who is putting on traction bars and get their old plates.
Just make sure they are from a multi leaf car.
I think second gen will work too, but the shock mount is different, just a vertical hole. You would have to get the plate modified and it could easily cost more than just buying the right thing.
Maybe swap the Lakewoods for a pair of stock plates.
David

------------------
David's Motorsports page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 01, 06:12 AM
Senior Tech

David -

you might look at Chrysler perches instead of the Fords. I had the stock Ford perches on my 9" rear and they collapsed during a burnout (with mucho damage). My rearend shop said the Ford perches are wimpy and he replaced mine with Chrysler perches which are visibly much beefier. He also added heavy gussets over the open areas of the perches and fully welded them. They're plenty stout now!

Re: u-bolts - I got mine at Pep Boys and they are reasonably priced and good quality.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode