4 wheel disk brake set-up that fit stock rallys - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 03, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Does anyone know who sells a good disk brake set-up that will fit inside stock rallys without using spacers?
thanks
Kelvin

1969 RS Z/28<br />1969 X-22 RS/SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 03, 03:04 AM
Senior Tech

www.baer.com They have awesome products.

69 SS

69 project for my wife - SS 396, Glacier blue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 03, 07:07 PM
Senior Tech
Jeremy

are your ralley`s 14`s or 15`s? what kind of budget are you looking at for your brakes?

67 Camaro

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 03, 02:24 AM
Senior Tech

I am just finishing my four wheel disk conversion using original JL8 type components. It uses the Corvette calipers and rotors. The calipers are heavier than many other options, but this was a factory option, and will fit under rally wheels. The calipers are four piston fixed units at all four corners. You will have to do some digging to get all the right pieces, but I have about $1000 in my swap. I'd be glad to answer any questions.

Ken

69 RS, 427, 4-spd<br />69 Corvette Coupe, 427, 4-spd
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 03, 08:11 AM
Senior Tech
Jeremy

the JL8 brake setup only fits in 15" and larger ralley wheels. he may have 14" ralleys, but we will never know until he answer`s. there is a plethera of brake setups out there for all size wheels. it really only depends on your budget, mechanical skills and your imagination as to what you want to run.

67 Camaro
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 03, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Sorry I didnt reply sooner , I have 15" rallys . Widths are : 8" with 4.5 bs rear and 7" up front. I dont mind paying for "good" stuff if they perform well.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 03, 10:22 PM
Senior Tech

a stock disc brake setup from a 69 Camaro, Nova, or Chevelle can be made to work pretty well, and is pretty much guaranteed to fit. it's the cheapest way to get initially, and easiest to find parts for on a Sunday afternoon, if need be.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 03, 01:01 AM
Banned

Smile

BB69,

Does your conversion JL8 calipers have the piston seals on the pistons or in the cylinder? I ask b/c the stock setup was not the best design b/c of crap getting by the seals and corroding things up.

Or so I have read from various articles..

Maybe David Pozzi will chime in here for clarification on this...

pdq67

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 03, 01:34 AM
Senior Tech

pdq67,
My calipers are rebuilt original Delco Moraine calipers. The common fix for these calipers is to have the bores sleeved with stainless steel. My Vette calipers are sleeved, but the ones I bought for the Camaro aren't. The only problem with sleeving the calipers, is the rebuilders don't want to touch them. I have a set of rear calipers that were sleeved and then left outside for six years. They still work fine and don't leak a bit. You are right though, these calipers are known for leaking after the bores rust.

Ken

69 RS, 427, 4-spd<br />69 Corvette Coupe, 427, 4-spd
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 03, 11:31 AM
Senior Tech
Jeremy

I was going to go the JL8 route until I talked to a couple of customers of Vette Brakes and Suspensions. they also directed me to a website that had alot of people not happy about their calipers. Vette Brakes is a leading manufacturer of the stainless steel sleeved calipers, so I elected to not take a chance on the having calipers that would leak brake fluid all over my freshly painted car. we all know what brake fluid can do to paint. I`m not trying to knock the JL8 setup. I`m sure it can make a camaro stop on a dime. Kelvin, you should go check out David Pozzi`s website. He has alot of stuff on their about brakes and suspensions. You can also see the front brake setup I did that uses the JL8 rotor. I built it for $340 bucks

67 Camaro
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 03, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

thanks will visit Dave's site!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 03, 09:04 AM
Senior Tech

Our 4 and 2 wheel kits will fit with disc brake rallys (most are) 15" wheels! Our drop spindle kits will work with 14" rallys with no more than 3.5" back space!

MAtt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode