SPRING QUESTION - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 03, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I put 2inch hotckis spring i my car before I put in the LT1. With the 327 it sat just the way i wanted. But know it sits the way i did before i put them in. Ive tried spring compessors but the coils were to big for them. i dont want to cut the springs cause i paid 150 bucs for them. is heating them up to drop the car bad for the springs. any ideas or help would be appreciated.
thanks, ethan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 03, 01:18 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally posted by FIRSTGENLT1:
is heating them up to drop the car bad for the springs.
Yes! Don't do that! How long have your springs been installed in the car? If it has not been very long I'd wait a couple of months to see if they settle more. The engine swap has trimmed some pounds from your car if you now have aluminum heads/ intake etc. and made it sit a little higher. Give it some time...then if you still don't like the height, cut 1/2 coil from each spring and re-check the height.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 03, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

The springs have been in the car for about 6months but for a lot of that time there hasnt been a engine i the car. I will give it some time. do spings like settle a lot or is it going to be very little. Thanks for the reply.
Ethan

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 03, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

The springs have been in the car for about 6months but for a lot of that time there hasnt been a engine i the car. I will give it some time. do spings like settle a lot or is it going to be very little. Thanks for the reply.
Ethan
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 03, 05:42 AM
Senior Tech

Gotta cut em. I had to, [img]smile.gif[/img] .
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 03, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

How much spring would I need to cut to drop the car 2 inches
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 03, 07:18 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Take a look at this page:

http://www.100megsfree.com/choptop/More%20susp.html

The middle photo is right after I installed my Hotchkis springs. The photo above it is after 3 months of settling. I think it dropped about 1.5 inches or so after settling.

Since the motor was out of your car for a while I would wait a bit to see if they drop some more. Give it a couple of months or so and look again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 03, 07:39 AM
Senior Tech

A good tip on how much to cut off is this: If you need to lower the car 2" measure HALF that distance from the end of the coil to where a 1" difference would be to the base of the coil. DONT measure 1" from the end of the coil! LOL

67 Camaro RS /SS 350 4-speed coupe
67 Camaro SS 350 Conv.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 03, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

thanks guys Ill wait a couple of months and see what it looks like. Do you guys know how i can post pics of my car on this site. i cant seem to figure it out.
thanks, Ethan
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 03, 08:08 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

You'll need to find an online service (some are still free) to host the images. Upload your images to their server and link them with the image button at the post message interface on this site. You will need the web address of the images once they are uploaded (ficticious example: www.hobbystage.net/images/firstgenlt1/engine.jpg ) which you can copy from the site that hosts them as you view the page.

Hope this helps!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode