multi-leaf conversion - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 03, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Question

I have a 68 Camaro that has worn mono-leaf springs on the rear.Do you need a kit to install a set of multi-leaf springs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 03, 04:20 PM
Senior Tech

You may want to change the spring perches on the rearend itself so that the springs will ride nicely. I threw on factory type 5 leaf springs with the original "monoleaf" type perches on the original 10 bolt rearend and the ride was harsh, nor did I feel safe mentally about it either. Something about seeing that huge gap between the perches and the lift bars made you cringe. You could always go with a quality set of replacement monoleafs from Jegs or Summit. They have them listed in their suspension section and are reasonably priced.

<a href="http://community.webshots.com/user/judson69" target="_blank">Judd's 1969 Export</a>, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BT 12 bolt, PDB, GMPP 350HO, AutoGear M22, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers, 15X7 Ralleys & BFG's
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 03, 04:58 PM
Kevin

geo, here is a set of spacers a buddy of mine made for my 69. I replaced worn out monos with 5 leaf multis. I used 4 u-bolts (2 per side) with the spacers between the perch and multi shock plates. You have to trim the edges of the upper spring rubber mount and cut the center nib to fit them into the mono perch, lower works as is. Worked fine, but I decided to go back the original monos, so they are available. Email me if interested. Kevin

There are inside supports to keep the tubes from crushing. They torque fine with out any crush.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 03, 06:00 PM
Tech Team

Well geo's68 In my opinion I would grind off the old mounts and weld on a set of universal. It took me all of three hours start to finish and I was pleased with the results and it made the springs safe in my opinion. See the below link for the type of mount I used.

http://www.secureperformanceorder.co...&ProductID=973

This link shows the new spring plates that I used to move my shocks inboard.

http://www.secureperformanceorder.co...ProductID=1015

All in all I'm very pleased with them!

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode