Steering wheel loose. How to fix - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 16, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
jkinder33

Steering wheel loose. How to fix

Hello, i have a video i want to show of my steering wheel and how its loose. Before i dig into fixing i wanted to get some advice on how to fix it. PLease check out video and let me know thoughts. All that wiggling does not begin to turn steering box

thanks

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 16, 09:11 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Re: Steering wheel loose. How to fix

I wonder if the locking nut on the adaptor is loose and how much damage might have been made wallowing out the adaptors hole and/or splines.

Chances are the center horn button assembly pops out and then inside there is probably a center nut on a threaded center shaft on the column and the adaptor may have three or four smaller bolts around the perimeter next to the center shaft and nut.

I would go to Grant's site and see what wheel you might have as well as adaptor and see what they show for instructions.

Grant Steering Wheels

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 16, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
jkinder33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOA-Nova View Post
I wonder if the locking nut on the adaptor is loose and how much damage might have been made wallowing out the adaptors hole and/or splines.

Chances are the center horn button assembly pops out and then inside there is probably a center nut on a threaded center shaft on the column and the adaptor may have three or four smaller bolts around the perimeter next to the center shaft and nut.

I would go to Grant's site and see what wheel you might have as well as adaptor and see what they show for instructions.

Grant Steering Wheels

Jim
thanks Jim, ill look into this

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 16, 06:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Agree on the nut holding down the adapter. Look closer to the steering shaft coupler under hood. The rag joint may be loose also on the steering box flange. There should be a 12 point head bolt that could be loose also.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 16, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
jkinder33

Hello All

With key in ignition but motor off the steering shaft twists 2-3 inches. SHouldnt this be tight? Is this loosness caused by the steering box?

Also, in this second video you can see the steering wheel being moved back and forth 3-4 inches wiht out the car moving. The front end steering components are in good shape according to mechanic however i will be replacing all those down the line. Trying to determine what i need to do with the steer box. Lock to lock is 2.25 turns

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 16, 06:57 AM
Tech Team
Jeremy

Garage

My 67 had play in the wheel, like what you showed in the video. I was able to fix it by replacing the column bearing. Here is a link for the housing with the bearing for a 69 Camaro. Camaro Steering column bearing std 1969 - 1967, 1968, 1969 Camaro Parts - NOS, Rare, Reproduction Camaro Parts for your Restoration
I replaced just the bearing on mine and it was $20

Jeremy

1967 rs, 355 sbc, Pontiac 867 heads, Crower rockers, Isky roller cam, FiTech Power Adder 600, Hurst Drivelines T-56 Magnum, RAM clutch, 4.10 posi, Vision 18" wheels

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 16, 06:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

If you've verified the problem is not at the steering wheel mount itself, then working down to the box leaves only the rag joint that could need replacement or the box itself. I think there is a small amount of adjusment that can be made at the box itself, otherwise it may be time for a box rebuild. I'd give the guys at Steering Technology Group a call. Tom Lee is affiliated with them (not sure if actively or on a consultancy basis) and there isn't a steering problem he can't fix.

Tom Lee Power Steering Technology

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 16, 07:16 AM
John

Garage

Steering gear is worn. You can try to tighten it by loosening the jam nut and turning the set screw clockwise.

The problem you'll most likely encounter is you'll get it tighter in the middle but it will be too tight at the ends. So the steering will be harder and won't return to center hands off. This is because the gear wears more in the center then the ends.

Box needs to be rebuilt to make it right.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 16, 01:08 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

your first video shows your stirring column having play on the adapter, the other two videos show the box having excess play. to adjust the box do as has been said above by undoing the 5/8 nut on top of the box and turning the the Allen to the right, make sure you have both front wheels of the ground while you doing it and keep checking the play at the same time

67 rs/ss 350 original eng,700r4, a/c, tilt, deluxe int,strato bench,Ca.emission,front disk,am/fm,floor clock,17" W/V Ralleys,Toyo T1S 255/40/17, 245/40/17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode