Steering box and pump removal - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 16, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
jkinder33

Steering box and pump removal

Hello. I'm looking to attempt to remove the pump and steering box from 69 camaro. I'm fairly handy but don't really have a full mechanics tool garage. I'm looking for what wrenches and tool sizes I'll need to complete this job. I'd like to gather up all the appropriate equipment before I begin. Any advice is appreciated. I've watched some videos and it doesn't seem all that difficult. Is there a way to find out this tool info? Thank u in advance.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 16, 04:44 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

Re: Steering box and pump removal

basic tools is all you need, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8 maybe 11/16 in open and box end wrenches along with the same for sockets. you will also need a long and short extension with a ratchet.
3/8 or 1/2 drive would be your choice
if you have little to no tools I would advise getting a small tool set if you plan on working on your car
check harbor freight or sears for their starter sets. if your pockets are deep then you can go snap on matco etc.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 16, 05:39 AM
John

Garage

You'll need a pitman arm remover. Van get a free loaner at most auto parts stores.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 16, 06:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Good advice on tools, but be cautious buying the HF stuff, it's all Chinese junk. Years ago I bought a set of impact sockets from HF and many of them won't even fit over the bolt/nut as the manufacturing tolerances are like most Chinese stuff - poor. Can't go wrong with Craftsman (maybe they're made in China now too, but at least they're still true to size.) Steering box and PS pump R&R is easy, you'll have fun with it, good weekend project

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 16, 08:49 AM
Senior Tech
Simon

Garage

The pitman arm nut I believe is 1 5/16" socket, not a standard size in a set, check with your buddies for that or buy and also a 3/4" drive ratchet helps to get it off, then on again to approx. specs then a 1/2" torque wrench to torque it on-140 lbs. Takes some effort.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 16, 09:48 AM
Senior Tech
Ken

Line wrenches, don't use a open ended wrench on the power steering line as most of the time you will round the nut off.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 16, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
jkinder33

Thanks for all the info guys.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 16, 08:01 AM
Team Member
Phil

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsguy57 View Post
Line wrenches, don't use a open ended wrench on the power steering line as most of the time you will round the nut off.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
Crow foot wrenches work great on PS hose fittings at steering box- If you have headers it gets a bit tight and may require the disconnection of rag joint and unbolting steering column to get a bit more room GL
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 16, 08:23 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

I spent hours trying to take the pitman arm off. Finally took it to the local garage where they only charged me $10 to remove it. Lesson learned...

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 16, 08:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Like John (Vega$69) recommended, you're not getting it off without the pitman arm puller (rent it).

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 16, 09:33 AM
Team Member
Darin

You need a basic tool kit when you have a 50 year old car.

Just an example -> Stanley 1/4 in. x 3/8 in. Drives Black Chrome Laser Etched Socket Set (99-Piece)-92-839 - The Home Depot

and as above, rent a puller, Rental Tools | O'Reilly Auto Parts

maybe a small flare nut wrench set
TEKTON 3/8-11/16 in. Flare Nut Wrench Set (3-Piece)-2640 - The Home Depot

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 16, 01:11 AM
David Pozzi

some pitman arms are on so tight you have to heat it with a torch in addition to the puller. At that point take it to a shop and let them pull it.
HF makes crowsfoot sockets in flare wrench type, it grabs the hose end on more sides. you need that for the steering box hoses.

Harbor freight tools are a lot better than they used to be. I have a couple of sets of their metric/us impact sockets and they all fit correctly and have held up very well. I like Craftsman and for end wrenches (Proto Challenger is much better) and sockets but the HF stuff will work for low use/economy. The HF regular sockets will break sooner than a Craftsman but Craftsman is not top notch either. HF makes a telescoping ratchet in 3/8" drive and 1/2" drive that gives you extra leverage when you need it. I use mine for breaking loose lug nuts.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode