Pressure bleeder take place of bench bleed? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

1Likes
  • 1 Post By BPOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 16, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

Pressure bleeder take place of bench bleed?

I put a Right Stuff disc brake conversion on the 4 wheels of my 67. Was getting fluid up to the front brakes after doing a bench bleed and hooking it up and pedal bleed. Left the car for a couple of months and found the fluid leaked out of the hose/caliper connection due a bad washer. Looked in the M/C and the front tank was empty.

My question is: instead of pulling the M/C off to do another bench bleed can I do a pressure bleed with my Motive brake bleeder?

67 Plain Jane being assembled with 427, 4 spd Muncie, 12 bolt rear with Mosers, 4 wheel discs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 16, 01:33 PM
John

Garage
Re: Pressure bleeder take place of bench bleed?

I would pressure bleed. You should be ok

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 16, 04:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

The Motive works well for bleeding as you know, but I've not tried it as a substitute for bench bleeding. I'm with John, I think it will work. If not, I just installed a new MC and used the Cardone MC bleeder syringe. It's the only way to go - couple of syringe pumps into the MC ports and you're done, easiest method I've ever used. You could try one of those if your Motive doesn't work to avoid pulling the MC.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 16, 04:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

Bench bleeding moves the pistons and gets trapped air pressure bleeding probably wouldn't. Bench bleed first then once the master is on the car put the pressure bleeding to it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 16, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonpie View Post
Bench bleeding moves the pistons and gets trapped air pressure bleeding probably wouldn't. Bench bleed first then once the master is on the car put the pressure bleeding to it.
How about if I did a combination of pressing the brake pedal and pressure bleeding? Pressing the brake pedal would move the piston in the M/C. Only thing is if there is uneven pressure on both tanks with the pressure bleeder it could kill the proportioning valve by forcing its little equalizer off to one side. Its a Right Stuff proportioning valve and it does not have a reset button on it.

67 Plain Jane being assembled with 427, 4 spd Muncie, 12 bolt rear with Mosers, 4 wheel discs
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 16, 06:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

You can experiment all day long with different "bandaid, don't want to pull the MC" approaches, but in the end if you want to be sure, just pull the MC, bench bleed it. It's just a few fittings to loosten and you'll and be done with it. Then at least you can eliminate the MC if you have any other problems. With a Motive it won't take you long. Good weekend exercise.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 16, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

Okay, will do the Motive first. I'm halfway there with tubing and a collection pail at each wheel to make things go faster.

Just one more question, the rear discs on the Right Stuff setup....the bleed screw is halfway down at an angle on the caliper so air conceivably will stay in an uppermost pocket in the caliper. Do I have to unbolt the caliper and position it upwards so the bleed screw is at a topmost position to bleed it properly?

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 16, 06:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordr View Post
Okay, will do the Motive first. I'm halfway there with tubing and a collection pail at each wheel to make things go faster.

Just one more question, the rear discs on the Right Stuff setup....the bleed screw is halfway down at an angle on the caliper so air conceivably will stay in an uppermost pocket in the caliper. Do I have to unbolt the caliper and position it upwards so the bleed screw is at a topmost position to bleed it properly?
To answer the question in bold above I would say yes. Put a block of wood or something in the caliper the thickness of the rotor so you can easily put it back on.

As for bench bleeding the master it can be done on the car with a helper pushing the pedal and taking the lines off the master. If you have the plastic fittings and hoses to pump the fluid up top that's even better.

Jeff
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 16, 02:59 AM
Senior Tech
Al

If you have a vacuum booster it's hard to get all of the air out of the MC because of the angle of the MC.

R/S video on adjusting e-brake/bleeding rears

ctcz28 likes this.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 16, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

Thanks, guys! The feedback on this site is fantastic....

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 16, 03:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

One more thing a lot of guys may miss. I did until I saw the tool. The tool being a plastic piece that screws in the top of the prop valve that keeps the thingy from moving left or right that sets off the brake warning light. It can be a booger to reset.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tool.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	167850   Click image for larger version

Name:	combo.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	167858  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 16, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

I'll get one on my next order from Summit in a week or 2.

Thanks,

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...illocation=int

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 16, 05:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonpie View Post
One more thing a lot of guys may miss. I did until I saw the tool. The tool being a plastic piece that screws in the top of the prop valve that keeps the thingy from moving left or right that sets off the brake warning light. It can be a booger to reset.
Do you know if this tool will fit an OEM distribution block on a '69 or just the CPP Proportioning valve? I've never had a problem bleeding the brakes without this so is it necessary?

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 16, 06:12 AM
Senior Tech
Al

A good hard stab or two on the brake pedal should re-center the shuttle valve. (after bleeding)

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 16, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcz28 View Post
Do you know if this tool will fit an OEM distribution block on a '69 or just the CPP Proportioning valve? I've never had a problem bleeding the brakes without this so is it necessary?
The problem I'm having is that it's never bled to the rears. To the front, yes, so that's making me think it's the shuttle valve off center. What I would like to do, after getting it centered is to keep it centered without worrying about it. So, that's why I want to have this tool. I've spent hours trying to get it to bleed properly to no avail so want to cover all bases.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode