Drop front end 1/2 inch - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 16, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Sal

Drop front end 1/2 inch

Hi,

I've got a 1968 camaro. It was a base 327 car with A/C and it is still sitting on the original front springs (I believe). Now I've got a 350 in it with an aluminum radiator and no A/C.

I've been working on the rear suspension and I've got it right where I want it. But the front end is sitting a bit high. Looking in the FAM, it appears that the front end (rocker measurement) is supposed to be about 3/4 of an inch higher than the rear end (rocker measurement). I kinda prefer a car to look level versus raked or squatting... I want to bring the nose down a bit so I was thinking of cutting some out of my front coil springs.

Any idea how much I should cut out of stock springs to drop the front 1/2 an inch?

FYI, this is just to get things looking "right" until I shell out for a Hotchkiss TVS which may be a couple years away.

Thanks,
Sal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 16, 06:31 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: Drop front end 1/2 inch

1 full coil gave me 2" drop on my Moog Z-28 replacement springs.

So I would hazard a guess that 1/2 coil would be 1" an 1/4 coil would be 1/2"....APPROXIMATELY !!!

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 16, 05:08 PM
David Pozzi

Most of the first coil is flattened, plus it seats in the A arm or top mount in a similar shaped spring seat. So the first coil or portions of it cut off doesn't do a lot, maybe nothing until you reach a full coil and the end can drop down into the spring pocket again. at that point, it drops a half inch or so, which is 1" at the wheels. The second coil loses the diameter of the coil, plus the gap between the coils, which is probably twice the first coil loss.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 16, 07:33 PM
Senior Tech
Bobby

This is a fairly inexpensive route with almost infinite adjustability. It is what I did and am very happy, takes out all the trial and error and guess work.

Nine inch springs in whatever rate you want and adjustable spring spacers. Save you a ton of money on the front compared to tvs.

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
8.5, 30 spline Eaton posi 373
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180 Headers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

black/black
no radio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode