Axle bracket weld failed - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 16, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Rich

Axle bracket weld failed

Hi All,

New member here - trying to evaluate a potential purchase, the car I'm looking at is 69 and one of the welds on the passenger axle bracket appears to have failed leaving the axle only attached at one point. Have attached a picture I took earlier - is this doable in situ or is it better to take off the whole axle assembly and remove driveshafts before welding it back up? Either way I wouldn't be doing it as I don't have a welder so would give it to a shop to do, up here the car needs to pass safety before being registered and I'm pretty sure they'll pick this up (you'd hope so anyway!)

Cheers!

Richard

Last edited by cuzza; Dec 20th, 16 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Forgot the picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 16, 05:29 PM
Senior Tech
Vince

Re: Axle bracket weld failed

Had this happen on a 70 Nova that I once owned. The Nova had a healthy 350 in it with a 4 speed. I beat the crap out of that car drag racing it every weekend my last year in the service. It had a pair of slapper bars that worked real good a preventing wheel hop. The downside was the axle assembly started rotating off the welded pads. One side was only held on by about an inch of weld when I eventually replaced the axle. Your axle can be fixed by a competent welder. After it is welded I would replace the original mounting bolts with U bolts.
Vince

68 Camaro standard original 327 4 speed Laguna Blue black standard interior.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 16, 06:15 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Rich, easy fix with everything in place as Vince already mentioned. Looks like the subject is an SS car?

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 16, 06:22 PM
Team Member
Don

Big bend in that lower plate because the springs/shim are too thick. They stressed the weld when they torqued it down and bent the plate.

Don
MRCOOL_RSSS350 and satz28 like this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 16, 06:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Kind of looks like it may have been repaired before.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 16, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Rich

Thanks guys - the owner said there are spacers at the top to accommodate the larger tyres which accounts for the plate bend I guess, he thought it probably contributed to the weld failure too.

The car is a Yenko tribute and I believe it's an SS donor car, for the less informed, how can you tell just from that pic?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 16, 07:46 PM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzza View Post
Thanks guys - the owner said there are spacers at the top to accommodate the larger tyres which accounts for the plate bend I guess, he thought it probably contributed to the weld failure too.

The car is a Yenko tribute and I believe it's an SS donor car, for the less informed, how can you tell just from that pic?
I see a spacer on the bottom but I don't quite see how it accommodates larger tires. I am not sure I understand what it is doing aside from extending the shock a little. Maybe I am missing something.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 16, 08:26 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzza View Post
Five leafs in the rear springs usually indicates an SS suspension, but doesn't mean it was original to car which is why I asked.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 16, 09:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

All that spacer did was bust things up. The lower plate is broken too.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 16, 10:40 PM
Team Member
Darin

I thought the low HP cars even had U bolts on at least one side,(mine did) that doesn't look like it does.

And after you have it welded and add 4 u bolts,get some DSE plates on the bottom.
https://www.detroitspeed.com/1967-19...ck-plates.html

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 16, 05:11 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeike View Post
I thought the low HP cars even had U bolts on at least one side,(mine did) that doesn't look like it does.

And after you have it welded and add 4 u bolts,get some DSE plates on the bottom.
https://www.detroitspeed.com/1967-19...ck-plates.html
I think the low HP cars used 4 T-bolts per side and the higher HP cars used 2 T-bolts and one U-bolt per side.

The OP's picture looks like someone used a monoleaf shock plate with a multileaf perch. The monoleaf plates aren't as thick as the multileaf plates.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 16, 07:39 AM
Team Member
Darin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
I think the low HP cars used 4 T-bolts per side and the higher HP cars used 2 T-bolts and one U-bolt per side.

The OP's picture looks like someone used a monoleaf shock plate with a multileaf perch. The monoleaf plates aren't as thick as the multileaf plates.
My 10 bolt single leaf car had T-bolts on the inside and a U bolt on the outside, ? maybe it was modified ??

Anyway, OP upgrade to U bolts and new shock plates for sure.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 16, 08:22 AM
John

Garage

Replace the shock plates. Dump the shim. It's not doing anything. Use the correct spring pads. Poly are ok too and U Bolts.

Good shop should be able to weld it without pulling the rear end.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 16, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Rich

Thanks guys, all sounds very doable should I go for this car - appreciate the input
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 16, 10:22 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeike View Post
My 10 bolt single leaf car had T-bolts on the inside and a U bolt on the outside, ? maybe it was modified ??
I could be wrong. My firebreathing, tire frying world record holding 200HP 307/PG/10bolt/monoleaf car had 4 T-bolts per, but no idea if original

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode