Front end centering problem - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 16, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Sal

Front end centering problem

Hi,

I'm working on setting the toe and I'm having trouble getting the wheels centered.

Here is what I thought I was supposed to do
Center the gear box with the flat part of the shaft facing straight up. Then center the wheels to that. This should give you equal turns left and right.

Hoever, if I do that then when I turn all the way to the left I get the left tire hitting the frame. So what I had to do was toe the left wheel in some and toe the right wheel out some (basically shifting them both to point to the right a bit). Now when I turn lock-to-lock, I don't get the left tire rubbing the frame. But now when the wheels are centered, the gear box isn't and the flat part isn't pointing straight up. I moved the steering wheel to be centered.

But I'm a little bothered that I don't have the flat on the gear box straight up. And I'm worried something else is off that is causing the tire to hit the frame when I do it the "right" way.

BTW, I'm running -1 degree (negative) camber and +1 degree (positive) caster. And the toe is set at 1/8 toe-in. I'm at factory ride height (actually maybe 1/2 an inch higher).

Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks,
Sal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 16, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Front end centering problem

Pitman arm should be parallel with frame with flat spot up.
Lower ball joint zerk and outer tie rod zerk should meet at rear axle center if line is drawn through three points both sides.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 16, 06:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Any chance that you have different steering arms from one side to the other? I can't tell from your post how much you have to offset the two sides to get the tire to stop rubbing. If it is a turn or so on the sleeve I wouldn't let it bother me too much but if if itall the way out on one and as short as can be on the other something is bent or twisted.

Jeff

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 16, 07:09 AM
Team Member
Don

Did you replace the steering box, pitman arm or idler arm?

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 16, 11:12 AM
David Pozzi

The steering stops on the lower A arms determine where the wheels stop turning, they contact pads on the steering arms. The steering box stops should not be hitting before the steering ARM stops come into play. If the flat is not up on the steering box, the steering wheel will not be in it's proper position.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode