67 Camaro Front Disc Upgrade ReBoot - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 16, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

67 Camaro Front Disc Upgrade ReBoot

I am in the process of upgrading my 67 RS/SS from manual drums to manual or power disc in the front. As I detailed in my other thread, I am really tight on front tire clearance (245-60/15's all around on stock rally's), and I was hoping to keep close to the same offset to the outside in the front (without having to change rims or tire size). The factory disc brake setup moved the front wheel mounting surface about 5/8 - 3/4" outboard, which may cause tire rubbing issues.

I tried to go with a kit that was sold on Rick's Camaros site that allows the stock drum spindle to be used with a custom caliper bracket, with a disc rotor mounting over the stock drum hub. However, a variety of issues has me sending these back, unfortunately.

So I am back to square one.

One option would be to try out one of the kids from ScareBird. He has a couple of kits that also use the stock drum spindle, along with a custom billet hub to mount a disc brake rotor. Not sure if these would move the front wheels outboard. Looking for feedback from anyone who has used one of their kits.

Option two would be to use the C3 rotors on the stock hubs and set it up JL-8 style. I believe Michael (mahunt) did his this way. Michael, if you are reading this, how much money did you have wrapped up in your setup? Any hot tips on keeping costs under control for this option?

Option three is to just go with the stock 67 style 4-piston calipers. I actually have a set of these laying around - although I would have to buy new rotors and have the calipers exchanged or rebuilt. But this will get me back to the offset issue with the front tires. I just don't know what kind of tire rubbing issues I might encounter with this.

Looking for any experience or advice anyone can offer. Thanks!

1967 RS/SS 350 Conv - triple black, 4sp, tach & gauges

1969 VN-built RS/SS 396 Conv - Garnet Red/Black, 4-sp, tach & gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 16, 01:42 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Re: 67 Camaro Front Disc Upgrade ReBoot

I thought factory discs were more like 3/8" outboard as compared to drum ?

Either way, 245/60 on stock 15" RW's is a lot of tire up front. I'm surprised they don't rub with the drum brakes.

Another less costly alternative is a factory setup (with spindles) off of early-mid 70's Novas (Ventura,Omega, etc). But even those may not be so easy to find these days...?

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 16, 05:46 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

I would go for a smaller tire up front. I had the same issue. I put 225 x 60 x 15 on my Vette 15" rallys with not issues. I have 245s on the rear. Has a nice look.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 16, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

I measured it, and definitely more than a 3/8" offset with the factory disc brake rotor.

I really, REALLY don't want to go to a different tire size. Would not be able to find a match for the tires that are on it now, and not interested in replacing the full set. I like the stance that it has now with the 245's. I will find a way to make it work - just looking for more info about the factory JL-8 front setup. I know they use a different caliper bracket (which are way expensive). Do they use a different caliper too?

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 16, 11:31 AM
Senior Tech
Wendell

I run a home brewed JL-8 set up on my 67. Using modified drum brake spindles, the wheel mounting face is moved out the thickness of the rotor, 1/4 to 3/8". Braking performance is nothing short of spectacular.

1967RS
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 16, 04:19 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Give Matt a call at Matt's Classic Bowties. Check out this kit for 11" brakes. https://www.mattsclassicbowties.com/...-us/p3081.html Here is another good place to purchase brake conversion kits. Right Stuff Detailing AFXDC02C. At one time I thought Matt was getting his conversion kits from Right Stuff. Here is David Pozzi's website, he has a lot of information on 1st Gen brakes. He even tells how to cut down the drum brake spindle to use with your disc brakes. http://www.pozziracing.com/brakes.htm
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 16, 04:57 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

I have disc brakes on my 67 Camaro. I was lucky enough to get the complete disc brake setup from a 70 Monte Carlo from my nephew. I used the spindles and rotors and bolted up my steering arms. I went to Advance Auto Parts to purchase all my parts. I ordered everything for a 69 Camaro. I bought new inner and outer wheel bearings and rear seal, booster & master cylinder, calipers, hoses, and brake pads. I went to the Auto recyclers to get a used proportional valve off a late model Monte Carlo.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 16, 09:55 PM
David Pozzi

steel rims are easy & fairly cheap to have modified. If you add an inch width on the inside, it'll pull the tire in 1/2".

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 16, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell View Post
I run a home brewed JL-8 set up on my 67. Using modified drum brake spindles, the wheel mounting face is moved out the thickness of the rotor, 1/4 to 3/8". Braking performance is nothing short of spectacular.
Wendell, I would love to have more info regarding your swap. Did you use the C4 Corvette calipers, or something else? What caliper brackets did you use? This could be an easy swap if the danged caliper brackets weren't so expensive!

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 16, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpozzi View Post
steel rims are easy & fairly cheap to have modified. If you add an inch width on the inside, it'll pull the tire in 1/2".
That might be an idea to consider. That would negate the ability to rotate the tires unless I do back and front, but this car doesn't get driven that much anyway.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 16, 02:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

As noted earlier in the thread, thats a lot of tire for the front end of a 1st Gen. I'm running 215/70R15's in the front on 6" wide Wheel Vintique rally wheels, 255/60R15's in the back on 8" Wheel Vintiques. My front is lowered 2" with Hotchkis springs... I have maybe 3/4" between the tire and the metal trim up front. I was lucky, we found a pair of NOS BF Goodrich RWL for the fronts, rears have 5K on them. Going to convert from front drums to discs also, I'm going to use a set of real OEM disc spindles I picked up with Wilwood calipers. I'll probably eventually convert to 17" or 18" wheels, but it'll be a staggered setup as far as tires/wheels. Keep us posted. Take some pix too.

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 16, 06:32 PM
Senior Tech
Wendell

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSSSfanatic View Post
Wendell, I would love to have more info regarding your swap. Did you use the C4 Corvette calipers, or something else? What caliper brackets did you use? This could be an easy swap if the danged caliper brackets weren't so expensive!
C3 calipers with an old set of cheap repop front brackets. While it was inexpensive and the preformance is great, I have a ton of machining and fabricating time in to it. Finished the parking brake set up not two hours ago. Not for the faint of heart. I enjoy the work and take a lot of pride in not just buying and assembling Legos.

1967RS
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 16, 07:11 AM
Senior Tech
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell View Post
Can you describe your setup? is there a post that outlines what you did? I'm looking for the little birdy brake conversion (cheap cheap cheap)
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 16, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarodriver67 View Post
I have disc brakes on my 67 Camaro. I was lucky enough to get the complete disc brake setup from a 70 Monte Carlo from my nephew. I used the spindles and rotors and bolted up my steering arms. I went to Advance Auto Parts to purchase all my parts. I ordered everything for a 69 Camaro. I bought new inner and outer wheel bearings and rear seal, booster & master cylinder, calipers, hoses, and brake pads. I went to the Auto recyclers to get a used proportional valve off a late model Monte Carlo.
Doug, did you remove the factory bump stops for the control arms from your 67 subframe? I found that the 69 style caliper brake hose mounting would interfere with the bump stop when the wheel is turned all the way. The Monte Carlo calipers have the brake hose coming in on the bottom of the caliper and will actually clear the bump stops on the 67 subframe. Alternately, you can grind off the bump stop brackets and install the 68/69 style right to the lower control arm.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 16, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Does anyone have a picture of the JL8 caliper brackets side by side compared to the stock 67/68 caliper brackets? Since they both accept the 4-piston Corvette-style calipers, I would expect them to be very similar. My guess is that the JL8 bracket moves the caliper away from the spindle a little bit to accommodate the larger diameter rotor, and maybe located a little further inboard for a wider cross section.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode