Brake Bleeding - New MC and Lines - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Brake Bleeding - New MC and Lines

Just replaced my master cylinder/proportioning valve and ran new lines front to back. I bench bled the MC before putting it on. I don't yet have the engine in the car and the brake pedal is of course rock hard and does not depress at all.

What's the best way to bleed the brakes if I can't get any action through the pedal? I've also put speed bleeders on all 4 corners as well. Thanks!

67 Black RS Coupe, 383, M21 & 10 Bolt Posi. Edelbrock E-Tech 170 Heads, 2204 Roller Cam, Air Gap Intake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 05:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

Re: Brake Bleeding - New MC and Lines

The brake pedal should not be rock hard. It should practically be flopping up and down with empty lines. Something is wrong.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 05:31 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage

With no vacuum you should be able to press the pedal. Sounds like something is binding the pedal. You can bleed without the engine running.

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
2 x 1967 R/Tís
1977 Power Wagon

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Thanks. What could be causing the issue? The MC bench bled OK and the valve actioned back and forth to get the air out. Only think left would be the rod?

I thought that the pedal needed vacuum to operate? Before I changed everything over, I remember the pedal being hard when the car was off, but softened up when the car was running. I have a booster.

67 Black RS Coupe, 383, M21 & 10 Bolt Posi. Edelbrock E-Tech 170 Heads, 2204 Roller Cam, Air Gap Intake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 05:36 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage

Loosen the MC from the booster and see if you can move the pedal at all.

Was this all operational with another MC?

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
2 x 1967 R/Tís
1977 Power Wagon
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69L48Z27 View Post
Loosen the MC from the booster and see if you can move the pedal at all.

Was this all operational with another MC?
Yes. I replaced it with pretty much the same unit from Right Stuff.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

OK, so I loosened up the booster and now I'm getting some pedal travel. Not sure what could be binding, as its a pretty simple operation. I'll have to take it all the way off and see if there is an obstruction.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 05:53 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Incorrect intermediate rod length if the system worked properly before the repair. Int. rod is the one between the booster and MC. Correct brake component terminology is here: Camaro Chassis - Suspension, Axle, Brakes, & Wheels

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
Incorrect intermediate rod length if the system worked properly before the repair. Int. rod is the one between the booster and MC. Correct brake component terminology is here: Camaro Chassis - Suspension, Axle, Brakes, & Wheels
Thanks Scott. What I know is that the car had a disc upgrade in the front which is probably 10 years old or so. I don't see any markings on the MC, so not sure it was original to the car, but the original proportioning block was there, which I've replaced with the valve.

How would I go about figuring out the correct rod for this MC? I can call Right Stuff tomorrow, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 06:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

If you have the old MC, compare the depth of the recess on the MCs that the push rod goes into. I had a similar issue several years ago and it turned out one had a "deep" recess and other didn't.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Just pulled the MC off the studs, and the push rod coming out of the booster is kind of frozen there. It won't go in, just stuck. Seems like I remember it going all the way in at one point when I was changing the MC over. I'm assuming that it should go in and out freely?

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

OK, so I might know what the issue is...? The MC came with a small bullet looking fitting that goes into the bore of the MC. I installed it and was pushing on it to bench bleed. If I have a longer booster pushrod, should I be using this fitting? Or is the fitting just for shorter pushrods? I'm thinking if I take it out, I should be good to go, as I don't recall my old MC having a fitting like this. I was looking at the directions that Classic Performance sends out with its MCs and it mentions a similar 'adaptor' for short or long pushrods.

Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited by cv2065; Jan 2nd, 17 at 07:15 PM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 07:56 PM
Apprentice
James

I just installed a right stuff power disc brake conversion kit with new lines as well. Right stuff tech support was very helpful and explained the bullet fitting is to be used with the short intermediate rod - that is what I used. You may also use the long rod without the bullet fitting, (that would be normal for a manual drum brake setup). You cannot use the long intermediate rod with the bullet fitting as I think you have currently.

I think that explains the hard pedal.

So just switch to the shorter rod and you should be ok.

Good luck!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by High 11s View Post
I just installed a right stuff power disc brake conversion kit with new lines as well. Right stuff tech support was very helpful and explained the bullet fitting is to be used with the short intermediate rod - that is what I used. You may also use the long rod without the bullet fitting, (that would be normal for a manual drum brake setup). You cannot use the long intermediate rod with the bullet fitting as I think you have currently.

I think that explains the hard pedal.

So just switch to the shorter rod and you should be ok.

Good luck!
Thanks James. I think that I'll just take out the bullet fitting since I have a long intermediate rod. I believe that's how the old MC was setup, so should be good to go. Any reason why you would switch the rod out instead?

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 17, 11:06 AM
Senior Tech
Rick

You cannot use a short rod on manual brakes. Otherwise you should be ok.

69 COPO clone, 461" BBC 11.25:1 Compression
840 Rec Heads (2.25/1.88) AED 850 HO carb
Orig Exhaust Manifolds
Straub (Clay Smith) cam, 288/300 .600/.569 109.
TH400, 3500 stall, 4.11 12 bolt posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode