Brake line fitment on MC, dist block, prop. valve ??? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 17, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Brake line fitment on MC, dist block, prop. valve ???

I am trying to install the three short brake lines that connect the master cylinder, distribution block, and proportioning valve and having problems with two of them.

The brake lines are new pieces from Inline Tube. The master cylinder is a new correct 5460346 casting......and all of the other parts are originals that came down the assembly line with this car (The brake booster and the distribution block, proportioning valve, and their brackets.)

The fitment of the brake line that goes from the rear port of the master cylinder to the rear of the distribution block is close. It needs a little tweaking but I think it will go in OK.

The two brake lines, however, coming from the proportioning valve and going to the front port of the master cylinder and the side of the distribution block are not even close. With one end of these two lines fixed in place, the other ends are off by an inch and an inch and a half.....This is my first time installing a new set of these lines so I don't know what to expect. This seems very excessive for such short lines.

So my question is......could it be normal for these lines to be off this far and you just have to bend them to make them fit....or do I just have some lines that are bent wrong?

Thanks.....Dave

1968, 327 210 HP, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Custom Interior, 4 Speed, Console, Gauges, Tilt Wheel, Speed Warning, Fiber Optics, 10 Bolt 3.55 Posi Rear end......Owned since 1978.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 17, 05:29 PM
Senior Tech
Bobby

Re: Brake line fitment on MC, dist block, prop. valve ???

Looks like they just need to be carefully massaged into place. I know if it were mine, that's what I would do. I have stainless pre bent lines all around in my car and I remember having to do similar tweeking or massaging.

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
8.5, 30 spline Eaton posi 373
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180 Headers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

black/black
no radio
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 17, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Well, I got brave. I loosened components and started pulling, pushing, and bending on the lines......and got them to fit!

It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. This is actually my first time installing new hard brake lines and I didn't know how much lines that were this short could be manipulated.

I sent an e-mail to Inline Tube with a picture showing the problem. I haven't heard back from them but am curious as to what they will say. I'm not convinced that lines that are only 7 or 8 inches long to begin with and are missing their connection point by an inch and half could be formed right.

Dave

1968, 327 210 HP, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Custom Interior, 4 Speed, Console, Gauges, Tilt Wheel, Speed Warning, Fiber Optics, 10 Bolt 3.55 Posi Rear end......Owned since 1978.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 17, 06:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Dave,
Wow, that whole setup really looks great and you did a fabulous job of making the connections look professional and better than factory; looks way better than my somewhat hodge-podge just make it fit OEM setup. Just thought I'd comment on the barrel shaped valve under the MC. It's the metering valve (commonly called the hold off valve) often confused with a proportioning valve. It holds off fluid flow to the front calipers until pressure reaches 30-40 psi to allow the rear shoes to expand prior to the front discs starting to clamp on the rotor. I don't know if the '68's have the proportioning valve on the subframe under the driver's seat like many of the '69's do. Good job!

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 17, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Thank you for the nice compliment and the info on the metering/hold off valve.

I knew the function of that valve but sometimes get the name wrong.....which a lot of people do. Sometimes it rubs off on you.

My car does not have the proportioning valve on the subframe. Everything I have read about them is that some cars had them and some didn't and no one knows for sure why some cars got them and others did not.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode