Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 17, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage
Front end height

When I bought the car at 15, someone before me had replaced the SBC with a BBC but hadn't done much else (bell crank, cross-member, frame brackets...etc) which lead to other problems but I understood why the front end sat lower (also bent sub frame) and as a kid I had a shop replace the springs with what I recall him saying were heavy duty springs which probably weren't right as well. After that the front end sat very high. Flash forward to now with a newer straight sub-frame and what are supposed to be BBC springs, the front end still sits very high. I don't dislike the look and am quite used to it but is this correct? Also, the front end is very stiff... very stiff. Just seems like it should be different. The car hasn't been driven yet since the new sub-frame/spring install. Will it maybe settle in and loosen up at some point?
Thanks, Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2241.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	172682   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2173.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	172690  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 17, 09:12 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Re: Front end height

The front appears to set higher than stock, but those front wheels and tires look awful small ?....plus it seems to be missing a few parts ! Wait until it's fully assembled before doing anything drastic. Also, leave the control arm mountings at subframe loose so it can settle and when it's fully assembled, drive it a time or 2 around the block, then torque them down.

What type of front shocks ? KYB gas-a-just are notorious for being way too stiff !

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 17, 01:54 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

What I meant by being "drastic" is, don't make any changes to the suspension, other than loosening the control arms, until you have the rest of the front end installed. It most certainly will settle some.

The AIM has the stock ride heights listed if you want to compare.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 17, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfields Maro View Post
The front appears to set higher than stock, but those front wheels and tires look awful small ?....plus it seems to be missing a few parts ! Wait until it's fully assembled before doing anything drastic. Also, leave the control arm mountings at subframe loose so it can settle and when it's fully assembled, drive it a time or 2 around the block, then torque them down.

What type of front shocks ? KYB gas-a-just are notorious for being way too stiff !
I'm not sure of the type of shocks although the front end was that high before I installed them.
The first pic was 30+ years ago when it had 14" front rims. The second pic has 15" rims.
I have most of the front end back together but no water in the radiator/engine yet... I guess that could make a difference.
When I ever get it ready to run, I'll loosen the control arm mounts a bit and take your advice.
Thanks, Jim
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 17, 09:18 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

fwiw my 68 has BB springs and an aluminum headed SB with competition engineering shocks with p-215-65-15 tires. my spacing is 2.25"
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 17, 02:38 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

If the suspension is stock, the shocks are most likely the cause of the stiffness. Not necessarily the ride height. They set high while you're assembling and you think no way is this acceptable, then while adding parts, it finally reaches a point where every little thing added makes a difference.

I'd loosen the control arms as soon as possible, as it takes time to settle.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 17, 06:14 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Garage

Since you have no idea what kind of front springs are in your car, either buy and install the correct rate springs for your combination, or, if you want the front end a little lower than stock, use a spring rate that is a little lower. There are charts that tell you what springs to use based on what equipment your car has. You might find them on CRG.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 17, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by arocars View Post
Since you have no idea what kind of front springs are in your car, either buy and install the correct rate springs for your combination, or, if you want the front end a little lower than stock, use a spring rate that is a little lower. There are charts that tell you what springs to use based on what equipment your car has. You might find them on CRG.
I'll talk to the guy who installed them when I had the new sub-frame/brakes/front end installed and find out just what I have. I'm sure he ordered what was right for the car but I guess we'll see. I'll also check the receipt and see what was listed on the parts list when I'm home from work. I'm more curious than ever now.
Maybe somebody will recognize the shocks in the pic. Looks like CPP on the box.
Thanks, Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1772s.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	172850  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 17, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

I spoke with the person who built the front end and he used Classic Performance Parts. He assures me that it will settle from driving. He's a talented guy and a friend and I trust that he knows what he's talking about. But you all are talented guys as well and more opinions are good.
Thanks for the input, Jim
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 17, 04:47 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

are the springs clocked correctly (In their pockets)
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 17, 06:45 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Speed67CamaroRS View Post
When I bought the car at 15, someone before me had replaced the SBC with a BBC but hadn't done much else (bell crank, cross-member, frame brackets...etc) which lead to other problems but I understood why the front end sat lower (also bent sub frame) and as a kid I had a shop replace the springs with what I recall him saying were heavy duty springs which probably weren't right as well. After that the front end sat very high. Flash forward to now with a newer straight sub-frame and what are supposed to be BBC springs, the front end still sits very high. I don't dislike the look and am quite used to it but is this correct? Also, the front end is very stiff... very stiff. Just seems like it should be different. The car hasn't been driven yet since the new sub-frame/spring install. Will it maybe settle in and loosen up at some point?
Thanks, Jim
Mine looked like that with "638" springs when I first installed them. They settled after the first ride.

Before:

Now:

68Tiger likes this.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1 AED 950 carb
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 17, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkX66 View Post
Mine looked like that with "638" springs when I first installed them. They settled after the first ride.

Before:

Now:

There ya go. Perfect. I'll hold tight and see where it ends up after the first ride.
Thanks, Jim
HawkX66 likes this.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 17, 10:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

Hi Jim
427 BB with Hotchkis 2" Drop Springs.
I went thru the Same thing with my First set of New, BB Springs, Too High for me.

15 x 8" w/ 4.25 Backset Rims, Goodyear E60-15 Tires.

Had to remove 1 Fenderwell Bolt on Each side, No Rubbing at all on the Outside, I have the Addco 1 1/8" front Roll Bar (Sway Bar) and the Inside of the tires has rubbed the Paint off the Roll Bar.

Timmy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	69 Camaro JPEG 1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	172986   Click image for larger version

Name:	69 Camaro JPEG 2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	172994  

1969 SS/RS Coupe 427BB 700R4 12 Bolt 4:11 A/C, High School Resto Mod

November 1968 Build Date
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 17, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by french69ssrs View Post
Hi Jim
427 BB with Hotchkis 2" Drop Springs.
I went thru the Same thing with my First set of New, BB Springs, Too High for me.

15 x 8" w/ 4.25 Backset Rims, Goodyear E60-15 Tires.

Had to remove 1 Fenderwell Bolt on Each side, No Rubbing at all on the Outside, I have the Addco 1 1/8" front Roll Bar (Sway Bar) and the Inside of the tires has rubbed the Paint off the Roll Bar.

Timmy
I opted not to go with drop spindles and stick with stock ride height, that's why I'm perplexed but it sounds like I just need to be a bit more patient.
Thanks for the pics, Jim
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 17, 10:17 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Front end height

Do not use drop spindles. Install lowering springs.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode