3Likes
  • 3 Post By ssanto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 17, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Sal

Dead spot in center of steering

Hi,

I've got a 1968 Camaro. Original gear box. New rag joint. New tie rods and bushings.

When going down a straight road, I've got a bit of a dead spot when the steering wheel is centered. I can wobble the wheel back and bit and the wheels don't react. It feels like I have to turn the wheel more than I should to get it to start turning (like for a lane change). Also, when the road is on a slight curve, I feel like I have to keep moving the wheel back and forth to keep it in the slight curve. Like it overturns, then I turn it back and its going straight, then I have to turn it into the turn more and back and forth.

Normal turns are fine. Curvy roads are fine. It just acts weird on slight turns.

I've got it toed in at 1/4 of an inch which I know is too much. Is that the problem? Or does the worn gear box have a dead spot?

One point worth noting is that I didn't notice this problem when my gear box was not centered. Meaning, I didn't have the flat part of the spline at 12:00 when the wheels were pointed straight. I "fixed" that and then noticed this dead spot in the middle.

Thanks,
Sal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 17, 08:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Re: Dead spot in center of steering

Perfect toe? or worn gear? Back in the day when my friends and i thought it was fun to play with VW beetles we discovered what perfect toe could do to you on those things. Not as tame as what Sal is describing.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 17, 08:49 AM
Senior Tech
Rick

The toe isn't helping. Radials need less toe also. Personally I would shoot for 1/16-1/8". You may want to try and tighten up the box a little as long as you don't go too far and make it tight to turn.

Once you get used to a modern car these never feel that great....

69 COPO clone, 461" BBC 11.25:1 Compression
840 Rec Heads (2.25/1.88) AED 850 HO carb
Orig Exhaust Manifolds
Straub (Clay Smith) cam, 288/300 .600/.569 109.
TH400, 3500 stall, 4.11 12 bolt posi

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 17, 10:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Time to replace either unit or gears. I found over time , all the dirt , grime, with the lube , eat away at the main point of contact. At least mine did.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 17, 10:33 AM
David Pozzi

New tie rod ends have increased friction. It takes a greater turn of the steering wheel to overcome this friction. In other words, your steering system is now "sticky". As the tie rods wear in, this will get better, takes 1000 to 2000 miles.
The other issue is steering box wear. You should adjust the box for wear/ play using the adjuster screw on top. With steering centered, loosen the nut and turn the allen screw down until you feel added resistance. What you are doing is pushing the pitman shaft downward, it's teeth are tapered and this reduces gear lash. Go too tight, and the steering will stick and not follow inputs well. Just turn it down like you would a small screw, - grab the allen wrench with thumb and index finger and twist snug, that's enough.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 17, 10:45 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Sal, Don't write off the gear box until you follow David's suggestion on adjustment.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 17, 08:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

To add to David Pozzi's excellent advise if you get it too tight the wheel will not return after a corner you will have to turn it back to straight.

Jeff
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 17, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Sal

Thanks! I tightened down the screw just as David suggested and it is much better now.
dhutton, allanjs and yellow69RS like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode