4 piston calipers replacement - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 17, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Frank

4 piston calipers replacement

I'm currently working on a 67 with factory four piston calipers. They need attention as they've been sitting for over 25 years.

My question is: Is there an aftermarket replacement, like Wilwood or BAER or another one that I could buy their caliper and bolt them on my actual brackets ?

If not, I'll have mine stainless sleeved, what is the advantage of o-rings vs the regular seals ? A few websites seem to put some emphasis on this feature as being better.

Frank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 17, 04:45 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: 4 piston calipers replacement

O-rings keep water out as well as brake fluid in.

Stainless steel sleeves in these calipers will stop a 27,000 pound WWII bomber as GM used the same design that Girling originated (90 years ago) for the RAF before WWII. Which broke out in 1938 for my dad who went through the whole war in the RAF. He dropped out of Eaton College medical school to enlist were he was assigned to fly with a bomber crew intensely trained for special opps. Anyway disc brake technology was originally used to stop fighter or bomber planes that had higher landing speeds (and where heavier) than WWI wood and canvas bi-wing planes with discs that had Girling calipers bolted onto them. After WWII GI's returning home started hopping up their 1920-36 era cars and speeds soon surpassed the old mechanical drum brakes.

It wasn't until Wilwood started building larger disc rotors for NASCAR that we even had aftermarket disc brakes (with the exception of Jags and Corvettes). Baer and Wilwood are competitors that make a sterling product. Either can be used to upgrade your brake system (with aluminum calipers shedding about 36 pounds on a four wheel disc brake system over cast iron). A newer brake rotor and caliper will be a fine upgrade, but not original.

If you can find a larger diameter rotor your braking (stopping distance before fading) will improve, using your stock four piston calipers. Just keep in mind you must monitor pad run out over the life of the brakes due to the fixed bridge design vs. the full floating single piston brakes. It is part of routine maintenance. Rotors have two dimensions: out side diameter and thickness.

GM dropped the cast iron Girling brake design due to the seal failing allowing water in if you drove through standing water AND cycled the brakes while driving through a puddle. This cause brake failures which resulted in warranty claims which is why Corvettes soon had PBR followed there after with Brembo brake calipers on their initial 11 inch then 11.74 (called a 12 inch), then (12.8" Called a 13 inch followed by the final size so far at 15.5 inch ZO6 carbon fiber brake rotors (which are thicker than the Camaro rotor so a Camaro rotor isn't directly interchangeable with a Vette rotor, but later model Camaros had bigger rotors with the stock thickness rotor).

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode