handling brake booster - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 17, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Frank

handling brake booster

I just installed a brake booster on a friend's 68 Camaro. He bought the car last year, it was already converted to disc brakes but the previous owner never installed the new booster and gave it to him when he purchased the car.

I just installed it and it seems to work fine (not on the road yet, but moving around in the garage makes it seem like it works ok.

He noticed the brake pedal was returning a bit slowly. I honestly don't know how fast it should come back and noticed there is a spring hanging from the steering column bracket.

A quick investigation revealed that spring is for non-power braked cars but could I install it anyway ?

Is the booster shot from being tossed around for many years ?

I thought I read somewhere one should never handle a loose power brake booster by the rod that goes to the pedal brake as it could ruin it. Any thruth to this ?

I have no boosted first gen to compare too as of now so I have no idea if a slow returning pedal is "normal".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 17, 05:29 AM
Senior Tech
Camarodude67

Re: handling brake booster

Is the Booster Old or new Reproduction? Also there are 2 holes for the brake pedal, Power brakes use the lower of the two, manual uses the upper. Did you change to the lower hole?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 17, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Frank

I did change to the lower hole. The booster is new repro, I think from CCP or CPP.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 17, 06:10 AM
Senior Tech
Camarodude67

Assuming your vacuum line is connected to port on Manifold, not the carb?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 17, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Frank

Yes, connected on manifold.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 17, 03:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dom

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank350 View Post
I thought I read somewhere one should never handle a loose power brake booster by the rod that goes to the pedal brake as it could ruin it. Any thruth to this ?
I purchased a new Delco GM Moraine Power Booster for my car from Inline Tube and the tag affixed to the rod was written in Big Bold Red letters, Do Not Handle Brake Booster By Rod. So I would say follow the instructions.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 17, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Tiger View Post
I purchased a new Delco GM Moraine Power Booster for my car from Inline Tube and the tag affixed to the rod was written in Big Bold Red letters, Do Not Handle Brake Booster By Rod. So I would say follow the instructions.
That makes sense and is probably where I read this as well, as I bought one of their booster and MC a few years ago for another car. Thanks.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 17, 08:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

When I sent my booster to Steve at Brakeboosters.com to be rebuilt, he gave specific instructions about securing that rod with two opposing zip ties so that it didn't move during shipment. He said there is a component inside the booster that will break if that rod is moved the wrong way. I can't say I remember what that component was though.

Dave

1968, 327 210 HP, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Custom Interior, 4 Speed, Console, Gauges, Tilt Wheel, Speed Warning, Fiber Optics, 10 Bolt 3.55 Posi Rear end......Owned since 1978.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 17, 03:30 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Further to Dave's comment above, Steve Gregori has instructions and pictures for packaging a booster on his website here: http://www.brakebooster.com/shipping_info.htm

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 17, 06:21 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

My booster is new but has been handled many times when moving it around. How can I tell if the the booster component is damaged inside. Any way to bench test it?

Steve

67 Camaro RS350SS (already restored) 68Convertible(future project)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Coupe(restoring)On hold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gave to friend.

67 Convertible (restoring)

67 Coupe(parts car for now)

72 Chevelle Malibu

2-69 Jaguar xke roadsters (appeasing the wife)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode