Trying to figure what steering boxes I have. - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 17, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Trying to figure what steering boxes I have.

I have a '68 with power steering. I've been trying to make up my mind whether to have a 12.7:1 fast ratio conversion by Powersteering.com done to my original power steering box.....or to go with the Cardone IROC box (pn 276550), also with a 12.7:1 ratio.

Ideally, would have prefer to keep my original box with new innards but that is a whole lot more expensive than doing the Cardone conversion when buying the Cardone box at a local parts store ( no shipping something very heavy each way).

Not having made up my mind, I bought a Cardone box from Advance Auto Parts just to compare to my original box. I was curious as to the ratio of my original box and wanted to be sure the Cardone box was actually the 12.7:1 ratio.

[url=http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/cardone-power-steering-gear-domestic-27-6550/3791467-P?searchTerm=steering+box]

Doing some checking using a homemade degree wheel and a protractor, these are the results I got. They may not be dead nuts but they are close.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

My original box: Number of turns lock to lock: 3

One full turn of input shaft = 20.5 degrees of output shaft turn

Input to output shaft ratio: 17.5:1

Total degrees of pitman arm travel lock to lock: 62 degrees
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cardone box: Number of turns lock to lock: 2 3/4

One full turn of input shaft = 23.5 degrees of output shaft turn

Input to output shaft ratio: 15.1:1

Total degrees of pitman arm travel lock to lock: 65 degrees
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see a lot of conflicting information about what an original '68 power steering box's ratio and number of turns lock to lock should be so I don't what I have here. I'm sure it is the original box.......Any ideas if this is a standard power box or possibly a fast ratio?........For what it is worth, I have the long pitman arm (5.8 inches center to center)

I was surprised by the Cardone box being so far off. Has anyone else bought one of these and found out they were not the 12.7:1 ratio? Maybe I didn't get the right one.

Thanks.....Dave

1968, 327 210 HP, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Custom Interior, 4 Speed, Console, Gauges, Tilt Wheel, Speed Warning, Fiber Optics, 10 Bolt 3.55 Posi Rear end......Owned since 1978.

Last edited by daven1256; Feb 20th, 17 at 09:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 17, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Re: Trying to figure what steering boxes I have.

Any thoughts ?

1968, 327 210 HP, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Custom Interior, 4 Speed, Console, Gauges, Tilt Wheel, Speed Warning, Fiber Optics, 10 Bolt 3.55 Posi Rear end......Owned since 1978.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode