Cardone IROC steering box (pn 276550) ??? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 17, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Cardone IROC steering box (pn 276550) ???

I have a '68 with power steering and have read countless threads about converting to an IROC Z steering box for faster ratio turning and a firmer feel. People rave about these boxes and the improvement it will make to your steering. I have read numerous threads also about using the Cardone remanufactured box made for the IROC Z. Cardone's part number 276550. The ratio of these boxes is supposed to be 12.7:1.

I Googled Cardone and the part number and it showed up in stock at the local Advance Auto Parts store so I picked one up. I checked the ratio of the box to be sure it was 12.7:1 and was surprised that it turned out to be 15.1:1.

I returned it and picked up another one from a different Advance Auto. I checked the ratio on this one checked out to be about 14.4. Neither of them near the advertised 12.7:1.

So I am wondering what gives here?........Do I have the wrong box?.......Is Cardone just throwing any gear ratio in these boxes?......Does anyone else double check their ratio before installing one of these?

Another thing I am annoyed at on these boxes is the sloppy paint job on them. Absolutely awful! I don't expect show quality any means but it looks like these were completely assembled including the plugs in the ports and then the entire unit bathed in black paint. The splines of the input and output shafts are clogged with paint. Both boxes must have been boxed before the paint was dry because the paper lining the box it came in was stuck to the steering box. When you tried to pull it off, the paper ripped and fragments stuck to the steering box. The paint is still soft on them and I could scrape fragments off with my fingernail. Nothing that can't fixed but if I was making them, I would be embarrassed to send something out looking like that.

Dave

1968, 327 210 HP, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Custom Interior, 4 Speed, Console, Gauges, Tilt Wheel, Speed Warning, Fiber Optics, 10 Bolt 3.55 Posi Rear end......Owned since 1978.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 17, 09:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Garage
Re: Cardone IROC steering box (pn 276550) ???

I considered the IROC box upgrade but ultimately went with the one in the link below. Amazing difference in feel. Before, I was constantly steering and moving the wheel especially over every road bump. Now it's smooth as silk. I feel like the suspension is absorbing the road now versus the steering.

500 Series Power Steering Boxes for Chevrolet

Check my rides:

1968 Camaro Convertible LS1, T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Challenger RT Scat Pack Shaker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 17, 10:11 PM
Team Member
Darin

I think some of the remanufactures think since the bolt pattern is the same they will all will work for these old cars.
As you found out, that's not the case.
I got lucky with the"IROC" box I picked up from NAPA.

It's a crapshoot. Or spend the $ for a 500 series.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 17, 05:56 AM
Banned
Chet

Read my sticky on IROC boxes in the Steering forum. Not all rebuilders put the proper valve in them. The only way to be sure you are getting what you want is an actual IROC box (have it rebuilt, not expensive) or pay the big bucks for the ones like DSE offers
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 17, 06:30 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

I ordered 2 1988 IROC boxes from O'Reilys and both were the same ratio. Paid $116. Coating was sloppy, no mater most remans are like that. Cleaned it up and shot it with cast majic then with flat Eastwood clear. I was under the impression some years were different. Just a crap shoot I guess. I have had the same experience with ordering the power steering pump. I have had to order another to get the right one. Still a lot cheaper than the after market ones, especially considering the low miles my toys are driven.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 17, 03:33 PM
Team Member
Rich

The Cardone one I bought has the correct ratio but the valves and setup so you do not get the road feel that you were supposed to. I sent it to Lee power Steering and they went through it and converted it to the right setup. You could just send in your old one to Lee and they could convert yours to this setup.

Rich

1967 SS350, Under construction.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 17, 03:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Same here, just got lucky with this part number .

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 17, 07:03 PM
Tech Team
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20cooled View Post
The Cardone one I bought has the correct ratio but the valves and setup so you do not get the road feel that you were supposed to. I sent it to Lee power Steering and they went through it and converted it to the right setup. You could just send in your old one to Lee and they could convert yours to this setup.

Rich
Rich (or anyone) can you pls provide the contact information for Lee?

thanks
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 17, 07:08 PM
Team Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Rich (or anyone) can you pls provide the contact information for Lee?

thanks
Lee Power Steering | Santa Clarita, CA

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 17, 07:10 PM
Tech Team
Stephen

Thanks Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode