Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

1Likes
  • 1 Post By red67camaro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 17, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Stainless braided power steering pressure hose

Due to my engine swap I used Russell Teflon lined braided hose with the matching ends for my power steering pressure hose. It has given me no trouble until it failed yesterday while making a U-turn. After 10 years and 82,700 miles I really can't complain. The hose is about 7 feet long and sprung a leak about a foot from the pump. It's a hose failure plain and simple, not a hose/end junction and it hasn't rubbed on anything although it is soon after I replaced the pump due to the pump being noisy. The pump was on the engine when I got it and had almost 200K on it. Again, I can't complain.

I'm not looking for a failure analysis, just looking for someone with experience with the best thing to buy for a replacement with maybe more longevity.

I'm leaning toward Aeroquip Teflon hose with matching ends and maybe a piece of Russell hose with my existing ends for a spare. I assume there will be no problem with deterioration with some hopefully long term storage of a spare hose.

Any thoughts?

67 Camaro, 96 LT1, 4L60E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 17, 05:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Stainless braided power steering pressure hose

You are leaning the right way. Can't beat those crimped ends. As for the braided hose look, there are cover sleeves but I think the plastic slip on cover still looks factory. I have seen guys using these Aeroquip hoses on many of the new hydro booster set ups. Those use lots of pressure from the pump.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 17, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Thanks, Don. I would prefer the braided hose look as it matches best to what I already have, but it's not a necessity. I'm still leaning toward Aeroquip.

67 Camaro, 96 LT1, 4L60E

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 17, 05:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by red67camaro View Post
Thanks, Don. I would prefer the braided hose look as it matches best to what I already have, but it's not a necessity. I'm still leaning toward Aeroquip.
Check with them, They make hoses for aircraft too.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 17, 06:40 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Aeroquip PTFE hose and fittings are a great way to go.

Yes, this is a Chevelle with remote reservoir, but here is what I used it for.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~

Don't mess with Texas!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 17, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Thanks guys, I have new Aeroquip stuff on order.

ZZ_430, my setup is similar to yours but not near as pretty. My pump and reservoir are on the other side of the engine compartment. In addition to a cooler in the valance panel under the bumper it adds up to a lot of hose. I used a reservoir from a Nissan from my local boneyard. It came with a mounting bracket with a dovetail type mount. If I need to move the reservoir it just pulls straight up out of the mount.
ZZ_430 likes this.

67 Camaro, 96 LT1, 4L60E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode