U-joint steering shaft for 1gen - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 17, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Pasi

U-joint steering shaft for 1gen

Hello!

Thought of sharing my steering shaft conversion from rag joint to U-joint in a 1gen. I did it last year and was pleased with the results

PROS :
- Zero slack (to the steering box anyway)
- More header room (at least with my SBC Hooker 1 3/4 Super Comps with AFR heads)
- Improved steering feel

CONS :
- Bit of work
- May be challenging to get the steering column aligned for the first time and the steering shaft has to be straight

It all started with me inspecting the condition of the steering shaft and column in general. The plastic sleeve at the end was pretty much destroyed, causing the shaft to grind itself to the column. Auch :

So I started by disassembling the column, removing the gear shift tube and cutting a bit from the end of the tube, making the end flat.
Then I cut the rag joint hub off from the steering shaft
I fitted a bar inside which I milled to accept the U- joint DD end and plug welded it inside the steering shaft :

Then it was time to make the housing for the ball bearing, the housing would go inside the column tube. The housing extends through the firewall to make the whole thing robust :

Before I put the housing inside the column I knocked a smaller tube inside the column and plug welded it, because a collapsible column is pretty much rubber when you have removed the gear shift tube. So I kind of put a "new gear shift tube" to reinforce the column again.

Here's the assembled column with the housing in place and secured :

Here it is with the Borgeson U-joint :

Here it is installed :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 17, 11:30 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

Re: U-joint steering shaft for 1gen

You should put together a kit and market it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 17, 01:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

That really is a great idea. Did it make that much of a difference?

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 159

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 17, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Pasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew69 View Post
That really is a great idea. Did it make that much of a difference?
Thanks!
My comparison can be a bit biased since my stock setup was in such a bad shape, but I can tell that the mostly I noticed was better feedback and self centering.
I was afraid that the rather rigid setup would cause steering wheel vibration ,but no, at least not with my 15" rim setup.
This year I'm going for 18" so let's see if that affects. I do have a backup plan if vibration comes an issue, change the Borgeson U-joint to their vibration absorbing version.

The guys doing the U-joint conversions to front mount steering box cars should know the difference, but imho if you have the steering box, rag joint and steering column in good working condition I probably wouldn't do this upgrade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode