Powersteering.com new ownership - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 17, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Powersteering.com new ownership

I called Power Steering Services (Powersteering.com) yesterday to ask some questions about them rebuilding the power steering pump and steering box from my '68.

I have read many good reports about this company and it's founder Chip Woyner. The person I talked to yesterday though was Marty and he told me that he bought the business last summer. Chip posted on his Facebook page that the business was sold and he is now retired.

All the comments I have read about Powersteering.com predate the change in ownership.

I was wondering if anyone has used the company after the ownership change and can attest the quality is still the same.

Marty seemed very knowledgeable, was very helpful, and was pleasant to talk to.

Thanks.....Dave

1968, 327 210 HP, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Custom Interior, 4 Speed, Console, Gauges, Tilt Wheel, Speed Warning, Fiber Optics, 10 Bolt 3.55 Posi Rear end......Owned since 1978.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 17, 06:16 AM
Banned
Chet

Re: Powersteering.com new ownership

Seriously? Marty was probably the second in command and bought it. Why would he change anything? Its not hard to rebuild a box or pump, every town has a guy or company that does it. The timidness of the users on this site never ceases to amaze.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 17, 07:06 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

I read the original posting as someone that is being careful using a company that has no reviews since an ownership change. Nothing wrong with being careful. If the OP uses the service he is asking about hopefully he leaves a comment about it to help others. That is why these forums are so great.

Scott

69 RS/SS X22 51-51 Dusk Blue coupe in resto......still.
69 X11 355 ci M22 3:73 12 bolt...current driver

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 17, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Onefiness........Yes, seriously !!!!!

Do you know that Marty was second in command or is that an assumption?

Changes in management or ownership can result in inferior quality. Ever heard of pre-1964 and post-1964 Winchester rifles? Or what AMF ownership did to Harley Davidson?

I am looking for the 12.7 ratio conversion on my steering box. I don't know my way around the insides of a steering box so I need someone else's help. You'll have to excuse me for not knowing there is someone in every town who can do this.

This forum exists for people to get help and advice. I'm not sure why you felt the need to chime in with something that was neither helpful or constructive.

Dave

1968, 327 210 HP, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Custom Interior, 4 Speed, Console, Gauges, Tilt Wheel, Speed Warning, Fiber Optics, 10 Bolt 3.55 Posi Rear end......Owned since 1978.

Last edited by daven1256; Mar 12th, 17 at 07:25 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 17, 11:37 AM
Banned
Chet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
I read the original posting as someone that is being careful using a company that has no reviews since an ownership change. Nothing wrong with being careful. If the OP uses the service he is asking about hopefully he leaves a comment about it to help others. That is why these forums are so great.

Scott
Did you go to the website? There's a review written in Jan '17.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 17, 11:41 AM
Banned
Chet

Quote:
Originally Posted by daven1256 View Post
Onefiness........Yes, seriously !!!!!

Do you know that Marty was second in command or is that an assumption?

Changes in management or ownership can result in inferior quality. Ever heard of pre-1964 and post-1964 Winchester rifles? Or what AMF ownership did to Harley Davidson?

I am looking for the 12.7 ratio conversion on my steering box. I don't know my way around the insides of a steering box so I need someone else's help. You'll have to excuse me for not knowing there is someone in every town who can do this.

This forum exists for people to get help and advice. I'm not sure why you felt the need to chime in with something that was neither helpful or constructive.

Dave
No, but why do you have to be assume the shop went bad after the original owner retired? Why do you have to be like everybody on this site that thinks 99.99% of shops are out to rip them off when 99.99% of shops are out there doing a bad job. You talked to Marty, you took up his valuable time. Now give Marty your valuable (to him) business and report back your experience instead of waffling about what to do until you hear from anonymous internet users.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 17, 12:20 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefiness View Post
Did you go to the website? There's a review written in Jan '17.
Hmm, a review on the company's website. Reminds me of when I was building my house and asked the contractor if he could provide any references. He smiled and said he could, but why would he provide a reference from a customer that DIDN'T like his service.

The purpose of this site would seem to be for people to get opinions from others who might be a little more than a random stranger on the internet. Flaming someone for posting a reasonable question isn't very helpful and will likely discourage others from asking a question in the future.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 17, 02:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

We've reached a new low.
69Z28 and DT like this.

Lynn
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 17, 03:37 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Some people seek advice before taking most decisions, others dive on in and are happy to live with the results good or bad. Just because you fall firmly into one camp Chet doesn't mean you should publicly berate someone who is in the other, just have your opinion and move on.

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 17, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

I had no idea asking a simple question would hit such a nerve.......thanks to those who didn't think my question was out of line.

I've never gotten involved in a pissing contest on the Internet in my life. Not on this site or any other. I avoid them like the plague. So I am just going to say one more thing and end my side of it.

I am not assuming at all that the company "went bad" because of a change in ownership. I do know that changes in ownership or management usually mean some kind of change for better or for worse. New people in charge usually like to put their stamp on things. For all I know the company can be a better company now that it was before. I have no idea. All I wanted to know is if anyone had any experience or any knowledge of the company after the change in ownership. What I am doing here is no different than checking Angie's List before hiring a contractor.

As for taking up the new owners valuable time, answering questions from a potential customer is part of being in business and it should be expected.

Chet, you said to go ahead and give him my business and report back. If I reported back with not so good news, what would you say then, "live and learn?"

I also don't assume that 99.99% of the companies out there are out to rip me off. I have had good experiences with companies and bad ones too. I have had enough bad ones though, that I try to do my homework before spending my hard earned money.

Dave

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 17, 08:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

It's called due diligence, a smart move. Good idea to check out the source of services you're contemplating paying for. I'd check out Lee Power Steering. I think that Tom Lee reopened his business after he'd closed down a few years ago. I had Tom rebuild and upgrade my Saginaw box to 12.7:1 a few years ago and he did a beautiful job. Tom is the master of power steering and he was happy to answer any questions one had and make suggestions for the best solution to your PS issues. Give him a call for a quote. I also read somewhere that after Tom closed his shop some of his employees started Steering Technology Group another source you could check out. Maybe they have combined, I don't know. Just a thought.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 17, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Chris, thanks for the info.....I will check those companies out also.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 17, 02:30 PM
Banned
Chet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilodeaulynn View Post
We've reached a new low.
You got that right. This site has just gone downhill more and more until its unreadable. The guys with the tech knowledge don't bother coming here anymore, wouldn't matter if they did, nobody listens anymore. Nobody reads the stickies, nobody does their own research anymore (uh, what's the best so and so for my car is not doing research).
Wake me up when some car guys actually participate on this site again.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 17, 03:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefiness View Post
You got that right. This site has just gone downhill more and more until its unreadable. The guys with the tech knowledge don't bother coming here anymore, wouldn't matter if they did, nobody listens anymore. Nobody reads the stickies, nobody does their own research anymore (uh, what's the best so and so for my car is not doing research).
Wake me up when some car guys actually participate on this site again.
Wow. Whatever's going on in your world I hope it gets better. Peace.

Check my rides:

1968 Camaro Convertible LS1, T56

2016 Challenger RT Scat Pack Shaker
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 18, 03:16 PM
Probationer
Marty

This is Marty at PowerSteering.com. I just saw this thread. I'm a mechanical engineer with years of remanufacturing experience in automotive products. As the owner of PowerSteering.com in summer of 2016, Chip (the original owner) provided me with months of training in the product and processes. I recognized however that Chip's processes were typical of a mom & pop type operation, i.e. little documentation, a general lack of process consistency and a shop that needed a lot of organization.

He had basically a two step operation; Teardown/Cleaning & Assembly. I have implemented another work station; Inspection/Bearings Installation. This helps ensure that before a build moves to the assembly step - all components are ready. I have also pictorially documented all processes and reorganized the shop.

My background as a Quality Engineer/Manager and Lean Manufacturing Manager helps ensure - I have no tolerance for anything but high quality products. If anyone has questions, don't hesitate to contact me at powersteering.com. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode