Is this a stock setup? 1968 RS SS - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Josh

Is this a stock setup? 1968 RS SS

Hey. Just picked up this camaro... trying to get a feel of what needs to be done to it... before i go crazy ordering parts i dont need, i have a few questions...

Here is a couple pics of what is currently on it...

Does this appear to be a stock set up?

Should i consider upgrading it?

This is what i want... I will be running 18x8 and 18x9 wheels, and want a nice lowered stance... looking to do occasional driving, nothing too heavy. Ive looked at both the hotchkis tvs and ridetech complete packages. And while nice, they are pricy....

What components should i be replacing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Josh

Sorry supposed to be 1968 RS SS...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Josh

Also is that a spring space going on in the front coils? Should i be concerned about it?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 10:13 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

re: Is this a stock setup? 1968 RS SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro808 View Post
Also is that a spring space going on in the front coils? Should i be concerned about it?
Yep, looks like it. Cheap way of fixing a sagging coil. I had them as well. Took them out and replaced the springs. You probably need to figure out where you want the car to ride and address the front and rear at the same time before spending any money.

67 Black RS Coupe, 383, M21 & 10 Bolt Posi. Edelbrock E-Tech 170 Heads, 2204 Roller Cam, Air Gap Intake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 10:36 PM
R66
Senior Tech
Ron

Re: Is this a stock setup? 1968 RS SS

It appears you have coil over shocks on the back to lift the rear and coil spring spacers on the front. Although neither will lift it much, you might try removing the spacers on the front and the coils from the shocks on the rear to see what you have.

Don't know how low you want it, if you are talking lowering it 2 or 3 inches, removing these will not get where you want to go.

Small block or big block car?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by R66 View Post
It appears you have coil over shocks on the back to lift the rear and coil spring spacers on the front. Although neither will lift it much, you might try removing the spacers on the front and the coils from the shocks on the rear to see what you have.

Don't know how low you want it, if you are talking lowering it 2 or 3 inches, removing these will not get where you want to go.

Small block or big block car?
Small block...

Right now i sit 26 1/4" in the front and 28 1/2" in the rear.... i want to try to the lowest possible while still being driveable on the 18's....

What in your opinion is the best budget route? I really dont need the full ridetech set up do i?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 11:05 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Small block...

Right now i sit 26 1/4" in the front and 28 1/2" in the rear.... i want to try to the lowest possible while still being driveable on the 18's....

What in your opinion is the best budget route? I really dont need the full ridetech set up do i?
Ridetech? No, you can do lots on the cheap. As has been said, remove some of what you have and see where you are height wise. $750 will buy you a lowering leaf setup for the rear...blocks to fine tune, and lowering springs for the front fine tuning with spacers..if needed.

67 Black RS Coupe, 383, M21 & 10 Bolt Posi. Edelbrock E-Tech 170 Heads, 2204 Roller Cam, Air Gap Intake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
Quote:
Small block...

Ridetech? No, you can do lots on the cheap. As has been said, remove some of what you have and see where you are height wise. $750 will buy you a lowering leaf setup for the rear...blocks to fine tune, and lowering springs for the front fine tuning with spacers..if needed.
Thanks... im familiar with Hotchkis springs... in your opinion, are these still decent? Is there a superior front and rear springs others are running ?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 11:27 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Thanks... im familiar with Hotchkis springs... in your opinion, are these still decent? Is there a superior front and rear springs others are running ?
Hotchkis has great setups and very popular. You could also look at Detroit Speed and Global West.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 17, 05:26 AM
John

Garage

DSE and GW are relatively expensive.

If it was mine I'd go with the full Ridetech Street Grip package. Springs, shocks and sway bars for $2500.

Going 18/8 and 18/9 make sure to get correct back spacing or it will rub. Tire size will also be a factor in both the ride quality and clearance.

I suggest at least a 35 sidewall anything less will make the ride too harsh. 285 on the rear will probably be ok and maybe squeeze a 245 on the front.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 17, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
DSE and GW are relatively expensive.

If it was mine I'd go with the full Ridetech Street Grip package. Springs, shocks and sway bars for $2500.

Going 18/8 and 18/9 make sure to get correct back spacing or it will rub. Tire size will also be a factor in both the ride quality and clearance.

I suggest at least a 35 sidewall anything less will make the ride too harsh. 285 on the rear will probably be ok and maybe squeeze a 245 on the front.
I meant to type 18x7 and 18x8... The 18x7 I believe has a 4" bs and the 18x8 has a 4.5" bs... Do these sound right to you?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 17, 08:41 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
I meant to type 18x7 and 18x8... The 18x7 I believe has a 4" bs and the 18x8 has a 4.5" bs... Do these sound right to you?
Yes. Make sure you can find tires in the sizes you need before you buy wheels. 17s also work well and look good. Easier and less expensive to find wheels and tires that work too.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode