Rear driver side drum dragging - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 17, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Danny

Rear driver side drum dragging

My rear driver side drum brake starts dragging after a couple dozen miles. I had all drums rebuilt plus new MC and booster back in December. Ever since I got the car back that one drum seems to drag and I do not know why. My shop says its because the e-brake cable is seized but i just don't see how that would effect it especially when I don't use the e-brake. Last time it happened I looked at it myself instead of bringing it to my shop and it seems like the entire assembly shifts out of place. The wheel cylinder doesn't seem to be leaking. Any thoughts of what it could be? I'm hesitant to take it back to my shop for the 5th time because they are adamant on charing me $500 to replace the e-brake cable but I just have this feeling that it isn't the problem. Unless I'm totally wrong of course. Also it seems to only be the driver side. The passenger rear seems to be fine. I 100% knew it was the driver side as it was smoking one day from only that wheel after driving and the car would shake violently while driving. Haven't driven it too much since reseting the shoes because I'm working on some other things but this friday I'm planning on putting some miles on it and seeing if it happens again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 17, 04:28 PM
Senior Tech
Ken

Re: Rear driver side drum dragging

Did the wheel cylinders get replaced during the brake rebuild? Possibly a defective wheel cylinder, obstruction in steel line to the wheel cylinder, or bad flexible (rubber) line from the rearend to the frame.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 17, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrim View Post
Did the wheel cylinders get replaced during the brake rebuild? Possibly a defective wheel cylinder, obstruction in steel line to the wheel cylinder, or bad flexible (rubber) line from the rearend to the frame.
The thing is I actually dont know. When I picked up the car they mentioned how 2 of the wheel cylinders looked "new" so they only replaced the 2 that were older/more worn out. Now I don't remember if it was the front or rears that had "new" looking wheel cylinders. I believe they put in all new brake fluid so wouldn't that take away the possibility of an obstruction in the line?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 17, 05:15 PM
Tech Team
Dave

Make sure the axle seal is not leaking, it doesn't take much to contaminate the shoes and make the drum drag.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 17, 06:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

If the parking brake cable is the issue there are a few things you can do. First thing is pll the drum off and make sure the shoes are touching the post at the top. If they touch all is good right now. If not see if the strut just below the wheel cylinder is movable or if it is in a bind. If it moves look at W/C, if not it's the brake cable. You can remove that strut to "fix" the issue until you replace the cable but the parking brake won't work.

Jeff
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 17, 06:40 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Could be any of of a few things. Can you pull the drum and post a clear picture? First thing to check would be to see if they assembled something "wrong"
yellow69RS likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 17, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
Could be any of of a few things. Can you pull the drum and post a clear picture? First thing to check would be to see if they assembled something "wrong"
Here are some pictures I took a few days ago before i reset the shoes. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I'm going back down tonight to do it again so I'll take more pictures.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 17, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69RS View Post
If the parking brake cable is the issue there are a few things you can do. First thing is pll the drum off and make sure the shoes are touching the post at the top. If they touch all is good right now. If not see if the strut just below the wheel cylinder is movable or if it is in a bind. If it moves look at W/C, if not it's the brake cable. You can remove that strut to "fix" the issue until you replace the cable but the parking brake won't work.

Jeff
What do you mean by post at the top? Ill look at the strut tonight to see how it is. Should the strut move or not? Also I wouldn't care too much if the parking brake didn't work because it doesnt even work now anyways since the cable is seized on this side. Also I recall my mechanic saying that there was a piece missing from this drum when they first got. It could be this strut since it looks brand new. Maybe it wasn't there before because it was causing this issue?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 17, 09:32 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmDanny View Post
What do you mean by post at the top? Ill look at the strut tonight to see how it is. Should the strut move or not? Also I wouldn't care too much if the parking brake didn't work because it doesnt even work now anyways since the cable is seized on this side. Also I recall my mechanic saying that there was a piece missing from this drum when they first got. It could be this strut since it looks brand new. Maybe it wasn't there before because it was causing this issue?
I looked at your photo. If you compare this pic to yours
you will notice the top of your shoes aren't seated or centered.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't mess with Texas!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 17, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ_430 View Post
I looked at your photo. If you compare this pic to yours
you will notice the top of your shoes aren't seated or centered.
Yeah that was the other day when they were bad, I also pressed the brake pedal while the drum was off to understand how they worked. Right now they look similar to your picture but are still a bit higher up at the top. The curve of the shoe is flush with that curved raised area in the top middle.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 17, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Danny

Here it is today, I took out that strut and everything went back together pretty easily. I checked the passenger rear and the strut on it looks old compared to the one on the driver side so I do believe this is the piece that was missing beforehand and possibly for a reason? Drove around for a bit and the braking seemed fine. Im not sure if removing that strut is "bad" or going to make my brakes fail I understand I can't use my e-brake but it has been useless so far anyways. Luckily I live in AZ so not a lot of hills to park on anyways. I'm going to go out again and put some miles on it to see if it starts dragging again. Also sorry for having to link to imgur the pictures are apparently too big to be posted here. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 17, 06:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

You can't leave that "strut out". Is it the same length as the old one on the other side?

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 17, 07:18 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by scblucam View Post
You can't leave that "strut out". Is it the same length as the old one on the other side?
Why not?

He is not using an e-brake. If it was needed for normal braking why isn't there one on the front drum brakes?

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~

Don't mess with Texas!
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 17, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by scblucam View Post
Yeah is there a reason as to why not? It isn't that I don't believe you but since I've taken that piece out I've driven 80 miles and the braking has seemed great. The drum hasn't started dragging either which definitely would've happened with that piece in it. I would get around 5-10 miles and then start experience brake drag.
ZZ_430 likes this.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 17, 09:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Factory put it there for a reason. If you look at yours and the example given, your spring is much more compressed. Personally I would replace all of the brake hardware, springs, retainers, spacer bar. Kits are available.
I went four wheel disc so I am just going by ancient memory.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode