Panhard Bar Location - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

 2Likes
  • 1 Post By davidpozzi
  • 1 Post By rtchaney
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 17, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert
 
rtchaney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 85340
Posts: 315
Garage
Panhard Bar Location

Friends,
The pictures I've seen with one of our vehicles having had a pan-hard bar installed, or other muscle cars w/ aftermarket bars, show them located over the axle tubes. Would it not be better to have it run parallel and behind the housing? I know to service the diff the bar would need removed, but wouldn't that allow a longer bar with more room for install? I could see the bracket needing some re-enforcement on the frame side; I'd want to do that anyways though. Thank you!
- Rob

Last edited by Vega$69; Apr 7th, 17 at 09:26 PM.
rtchaney is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 17, 04:07 PM
Senior Tech
Dave
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 4,675
Re: Panha Bar Location

A car with leaf springs doesn't use a Panhard bar. That is used (or a Watts linkage) to control the lateral location of the rear end in a car with coil springs and trailing control arms to locate the rear end.

If you have back halved the car and use a four link rear suspension with coil overs to hold the car up you would use a Panhard bar. With stock leaf springs no, the leaves not only hold up the car but locate the rear end.

Big Dave
Larger Dave is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 17, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert
 
rtchaney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 85340
Posts: 315
Garage
Re: Panha Bar Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larger Dave View Post
A car with leaf springs doesn't use a Panhard bar. That is used (or a Watts linkage) to control the lateral location of the rear end in a car with coil springs and trailing control arms to locate the rear end.

If you have back halved the car and use a four link rear suspension with coil overs to hold the car up you would use a Panhard bar. With stock leaf springs no, the leaves not only hold up the car but locate the rear end.

Big Dave
Sir,
Almost every time, yes. If you are running composite leafs (and), auto crossing/road racing or have very little wiggle room with your tire combination aftermarket PH bars can help keep the rear centered; I'm certain you knew that already though. I was more interested in seeing if a difference could be felt on the street. Just for fun and to play with my welder. I know that the roll center would need to match the leafs or the car would possibly bind. A Watts link would avoid the bind issue altogether but is more complicated.

I may have answered my own question though. Chris Alston offers one designed to fit behind the axel tubes; thus, I'm assuming it works similarly.
- Rob

1968, 5 speed, Vintage Air Gen IV, American Auto Wire Update Series, Champion 4 Core Rad, BMR front w/ Koni's, BP Roller 383, Posi 8.2", Solid Frame Bushings
rtchaney is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 17, 08:54 PM
Senior Tech
Simon
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 489
Garage
Re: Panha Bar Location

Here's a pic for reference of a pro touring setup with 4 link with a panard bar, it has coilovers.
https://www.detroitspeed.com/1967-19...UADRALink.html

I too have thought about adding a panard bar but there's a few obstacles like the exhaust routing. Once it gets warmer I'll crawl under my car and check for clearance.
In the meantime here's a link from Ridetech with their universal panard bars.
Components :: Panhard Bars - RideTech.com - Suspension Specialist - Online Store
Keep us posted if you fab something.
slazisme is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 17, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert
 
rtchaney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 85340
Posts: 315
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slazisme View Post
Here's a pic for reference of a pro touring setup with 4 link with a panard bar, it has coilovers.
https://www.detroitspeed.com/1967-19...UADRALink.html

I too have thought about adding a panard bar but there's a few obstacles like the exhaust routing. Once it gets warmer I'll crawl under my car and check for clearance.
In the meantime here's a link from Ridetech with their universal panard bars.
Components :: Panhard Bars - RideTech.com - Suspension Specialist - Online Store
Keep us posted if you fab something.
Thank you! I will definitely post once I dive on this. On a different topic, why pay out the nose for delrin bushings when you can buy bar stock, for lack of a better term, for $12 a foot.... I mat try that one too.
. - Rob
rtchaney is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 17, 09:03 AM
Moderator
John
 
Vega$69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vegas NV/Wesley Chapel FL
Posts: 12,576
Garage
Re: Panhard Bar Location

Why do you feel the need to add a panhard bar? The purpose of it is to keep the rear wnd from moving laterally relative to the body.

The leaf springs are already achieving this purpose.

A panhard bar actually moves the rear end slightly back and forth as the rear suspension travels up and down. With the bar installed parallel to the rear end the body will be pulled to that side any time the car is moved up or down from that position. This may cause stress on other suspension components and possibly have a negative effect on the ride.
Vega$69 is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 17, 11:58 AM
Moderator
David Pozzi
 
davidpozzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Central California, USA
Posts: 10,096
Re: Panhard Bar Location

I'm opposed to the idea, even with composite springs. The first premise is, that the leaf springs or bushings are allowing the rear axle to move laterally. With Delrin bushings in the shackles, I dont think there is enough movement to be concerned about.
rtchaney likes this.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
davidpozzi is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 17, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert
 
rtchaney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 85340
Posts: 315
Garage
Re: Panhard Bar Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpozzi View Post
I'm opposed to the idea, even with composite springs. The first premise is, that the leaf springs or bushings are allowing the rear axle to move laterally. With Delrin bushings in the shackles, I dont think there is enough movement to be concerned about.
Fair enough. I don't recon arguing with you would be wise. Thank you. I'll play with my welder in other areas.

- Rob
dhutton likes this.

1968, 5 speed, Vintage Air Gen IV, American Auto Wire Update Series, Champion 4 Core Rad, BMR front w/ Koni's, BP Roller 383, Posi 8.2", Solid Frame Bushings
rtchaney is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome