Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

1Likes
  • 1 Post By 69-Pace

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 17, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alex

Long Brake line

I have to replace the front to back brake line on my 69 Camaro manual brake system. The old one did not come out of there without bending it. Any suggestions on how to install a new prefabricated line? Thanks Alex

1969 RS Camaro
1972 K5 Blazer
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 17, 05:13 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage
Re: Long Brake line

You have to take your time and work it in, they don't just fall into place. Having the subframe disconnected from the car might make the front a bit easier. Bending and reshaping as your working it into place is usually required too.

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
2 x 1967 R/Tís
1977 Power Wagon
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 17, 03:53 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

On mine - Power disc front, drum rears working back to front with the line tended to help get it in place. Patience and a bit of muscle gets it done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 17, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alex

Well I got the line installed, wasn't pretty though, but really not as bad as I thought is was gonna be. Any tips on bleeding the system?

1969 RS Camaro
1972 K5 Blazer
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 17, 06:11 PM
Fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969RSCAMARO View Post
Well I got the line installed, wasn't pretty though, but really not as bad as I thought is was gonna be. Any tips on bleeding the system?
I want to replace mine also. Where did you get yours? How did you wind up doing it? You said it wasn't pretty, what would you have done differently?

1969 RS Camaro V8 X-11
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 17, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alex

I purchase the line from inline tubing and I have to say they did a nice job. I slid the line into the back first (not hook up) then went forward with it. The part that wasn't pretty was the front part. You have to bend it some to get it in there, but you bend it back once in place. The installation once in place looks like factory. I liked inline tubing they shipped fast and the tubing was like factory. I see your here in Houston let me know if you need help I can come over. Alex

1969 RS Camaro
1972 K5 Blazer
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 17, 08:04 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969RSCAMARO View Post
Alex - I prefer the old school two man way. First make sure the master is bled first. Next start at the furthest from master, usually the rear pass side and hook a clear hose to the fitting and drop into a empty soda bottle. Then open the valve and have someone hit the brake pedal with a push-push-push then hold to the floor movement. When the fluid or air stops flowing at your location, repeat until you get all fluid. Then move to drivers rear, then pass front, then last the drivers front. Some folks have good luck with the pressurized cans but I never did, I just got brake fluid all over the place. A/C or SS vehicles with the valve under the drivers door may need to flush the valve to get trapped air out, also a good way to test if the valve is clogged or non-functioning.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 17, 08:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
Alex - I prefer the old school two man way. First make sure the master is bled first. Next start at the furthest from master, usually the rear pass side and hook a clear hose to the fitting and drop into a empty soda bottle. Then open the valve and have someone hit the brake pedal with a push-push-push then hold to the floor movement. When the fluid or air stops flowing at your location, repeat until you get all fluid. Then move to drivers rear, then pass front, then last the drivers front. Some folks have good luck with the pressurized cans but I never did, I just got brake fluid all over the place. A/C or SS vehicles with the valve under the drivers door may need to flush the valve to get trapped air out, also a good way to test if the valve is clogged or non-functioning.
I think that a misprint what I have in bold now.

Pump pump pump the pedal then open valve not before pumping.

Jeff
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 17, 11:40 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Yes you are correct. That's what I get for having a caffeine free morning.
yellow69RS likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode