Looking for a rear sway bar - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 17, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Looking for a rear sway bar

Tooling around in my 69 Sunday I got to thinking, I wonder if a rear sway bar would help the handling of this car? Going around corners is an exercise in holding on for dear life. Granted, the bias plys I'm running don't help but I really like the way they look and they're way too new (even though they've been on for the past 16 years they have less than 1500 miles on them) to swap for radials. I thought a rear sway bar was a factory option in 69 but none of the restoration parts warehouses seem to have anything that doesn't include a complete kit with front and rear bars with all the mounting hardware. At +$800, that's more than I wanted to spend.

So anyone running a rear sway bar on their 69? If so, what are you using? Keep in mind, I'm not looking to go full out autocross, so I don't want to start adding frame rail bracing and what-not. I just wanted to add a factory type sway bar to improve cornering a little bit.

1969 Camaro RS/SS 350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 17, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Re: Looking for a rear sway bar

HUH, I just double checked, Year One DOES have a rear sway bar under part number AD226BLK. Don't know how I missed that. Still kind of curious if anyone else has added a rear SB to their First Gen.

1969 Camaro RS/SS 350
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 17, 11:18 AM
Team Member
Don

Does the car oversteer or understeer? Most first gens running small bias ply tires do not need a sway bar in my experience. The sway bar will also increase your effective rear spring rate and ride will get stiffer.

16 year old tires should be replaced regardless of miles. They are unsafe IMHO.

Hopefully David Pozzi will comment.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 17, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

It definitely understeers, and to use a NASCAR term just doesn't feel like it's "in the track" (road). It's felt like that since the restoration's been done 16-17 years ago, it's not deteriorated.

1969 Camaro RS/SS 350
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 17, 12:22 PM
Kevin

for 68s and 69s, the rear sway bar was no longer needed due to the staggered shocks.

last post on this thread 1969 rear suspension
JPCamaro likes this.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 17, 01:17 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

I just installed the Hotchkis rear sway bar on my 69 vert. I must say what a nice quality product. It has a support bar that attaches to the driver and passenger rear frame rails tying everything together. The car is a work in progress so I cant comment on it driving wise. In another thread the Hotchkis sway bar was highly recommended for a convertible, making the car solid and limiting flex.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 17, 01:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

I have the Hotchkis rear swaybar on my 69 coupe. The package does come with a frame brace, which is where the drop-links for the swaybar are attached.
The swaybar definitely helps during cornering IMO. But with your bias-ply tires, it may not make much of a difference.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 17, 09:26 AM
Senior Tech
Wendell

A rear bar would be the last place I looked to improve the handling of a 1st gen camaro. Also, our characterization of "not in the track" doesn't give anyone enough information to help you.
All I can tell you is this:
550-600# front springs, 1 1/8 hollow front bar and relocated upper control arm mounts (or tall UBJs) paired with a forward biased 210-180# rear leaf and good shocks will produce a remarkably good handling Camaro. Next step would be to address the bump steer with an adjustable height tie rod end.

99.9% of the time, any other approach is just conspicuous consumption.
JPCamaro and dhutton like this.

1967RS
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 17, 10:12 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

A rear sway bar might not do anything for a hardtop, but I noticed an improvement after I put one on my 68 convertible. But I guess anything you do to a convertible can only improve handling and structural rigidity... I found an Addco kit a few years ago on ebay with 1-1/4 front and 13/16 rear swaybars for about $200.

Kevin

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 17, 11:03 AM
Senior Tech
Bobby

I took the rear sway bar off and didn't notice much of a difference. I did notice a nice difference once my car was aligned properly and adding -.5 camber.
JPCamaro likes this.

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
8.5, 30 spline Eaton posi 373
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180 Headers

black/black
no radio
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 17, 06:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Quote:
part number AD226BLK
I would wager that is an ADDCO sway bar. I installed ADDCO bars probably early 80's. Makes a real difference. BUT with bias plies you have may be a mistake. It may stay so flat that you don't have the weight transfer to keep from spinning. JMHO

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 17, 07:18 PM
Senior Tech
Wendell

With no knowledge of spring rates or front sway bar (or anything), how can anyone recommend a rear sway bar? What ailment are you proscribing a rear sway bar to fix?
dhutton likes this.

1967RS
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 17, 07:34 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Garage

Definitely read this before you make any changes.

FIRST GEN SUSPENSION
JPCamaro likes this.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 17, 07:38 PM
Senior Tech
Simon

Garage

I have to agree with Wendell ^, OP might want to upgrade his suspension in other areas first before adding a rear sway bar. But I guess it all depends if the car is set-up for originality or cruising comfort. My rear sway bar was the last suspension upgrade.
Maybe shelve the bias ply's for the shows and upgrade with some radial's and cheap Summit rally's as another upgrade, just saying............its your car so you decide.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 17, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell View Post
A rear bar would be the last place I looked to improve the handling of a 1st gen camaro. Also, our characterization of "not in the track" doesn't give anyone enough information to help you.
All I can tell you is this:
550-600# front springs, 1 1/8 hollow front bar and relocated upper control arm mounts (or tall UBJs) paired with a forward biased 210-180# rear leaf and good shocks will produce a remarkably good handling Camaro. Next step would be to address the bump steer with an adjustable height tie rod end.

99.9% of the time, any other approach is just conspicuous consumption.
What I meant about not in the track was simply the car feels like it's on the edge of a 4 wheel slide sideways mid turn....maybe my NASCAR term wasn't the right term to use. I guess what I'm looking to do is eliminate some of the body roll and that feeling that all four wheels are about to break loose any second around a turn. Anyway based on the response you guys gave I need to look in other places. You guys have given me some great suggestions, I can see a rear sway bar isn't the answer. I have some homework to do. Thank you.

1969 Camaro RS/SS 350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode