Auto Console To Manual Floor Shift - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 17, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Craig

Auto Console To Manual Floor Shift

I have a 1969 Camaro that was originally an auto console(horseshoe) shift car that is now running a T56 Magnum. The reverse lights are setup and I have reverse lockout controlled by the brake pedal.

What isn't working is the factory steering column has a collar on it that has to be in the correct position for the key to come out. I have to randomly adjust it by hand to take the key out. Is it best to just replace the column with a version meant for a floor shift car? I've looked at the ididit columns and they look nice just expensive but I suppose I could recoup some cost from my factory column? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 17, 05:35 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Auto Console To Manual Floor Shift

All 1969 Camaro's had the new anti-theft lock-out.
The floor shifted automatics had a the rod attached to the transmission body and the cable selector activated the lock out.
See page 339 of the 1969 AIM for the setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 17, 07:30 PM
Senior Tech
Vince

Cannot the mechanism that locks in the steering column just be removed. I have seen this on later cars

68 Camaro standard original 327 4 speed Laguna Blue black standard interior.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 17, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
All 1969 Camaro's had the new anti-theft lock-out.
The floor shifted automatics had a the rod attached to the transmission body and the cable selector activated the lock out.
See page 339 of the 1969 AIM for the setup.
So the collar is used for shifting (on the auto cars it moves with the gear selections), puts the reverse lights on when in reverse, and locks the key when not in park.

Just out of curiosity, does it in any way prevent the vehicle starting if it isn't in the right spot(kill any signal to the starter)?

Now that I have a t56 magnum it sounds like I should either live with it and rotate it by hand when needed or is there an aftermarket version that just doesn't include that? Or is removing it easy to do?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 17, 12:43 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Craig - Well yes and no. The collar sleeve rotated and locked the steering wheel and then allowed the key to be removed. This was the first attempt by GM to harden the entire fleet to the increasing complaints from the insurance industry that any blind two year old could start any GM and drive away with it. Not that the system was fool-proof and easy to get around with a screwdriver.

Yes on manual transmissions the the sleeve also activated the column mounted reverse light switch. On Automatics the backup light switch could be on the column, or on the transmission, all depended if she was on the tree or on the floor.

The neutral safety switch also lived different places based on transmission and shifter options. Manuals the switch was actually on the clutch pedal - could not be started in any gear - clutch had to be depresses or she won't crank. But the anti-theft lockout only allowed reverse as the gear choice when removing the key. Automatics could only be started in Park or Neutral and again this was located dependent on options.

Yes you can lock the sleeve in the "locked" position allowing you to remove the key. It will not lock the steering wheel by design as long as the key is turned past off. Failures are rare of the ignition core allowing the wheel to lock in other positions.

I have gone back and forth with my transmission rod activating the lock out. I like to park in First gear in the garage, my driveway is a hill so just mental floss insurance. When missing the rod, I manually rotate the sleeve to deactivate my racing lights But in some remote corner of my mind to also guard against the wheel ever locking on me while driving. Totally irrational I know but just piece of mind.

I'm not sure what aftermarket options there are for anti-theft. Ask your insurance agent what the cost in coverage would be to run without any theft-protection factory or aftermarket including the fact most factory of that period and aftermarket add on's such as the claw are defeatable in a few seconds.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 17, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
Craig - Well yes and no. The collar sleeve rotated and locked the steering wheel and then allowed the key to be removed. This was the first attempt by GM to harden the entire fleet to the increasing complaints from the insurance industry that any blind two year old could start any GM and drive away with it. Not that the system was fool-proof and easy to get around with a screwdriver.

Yes on manual transmissions the the sleeve also activated the column mounted reverse light switch. On Automatics the backup light switch could be on the column, or on the transmission, all depended if she was on the tree or on the floor.

The neutral safety switch also lived different places based on transmission and shifter options. Manuals the switch was actually on the clutch pedal - could not be started in any gear - clutch had to be depresses or she won't crank. But the anti-theft lockout only allowed reverse as the gear choice when removing the key. Automatics could only be started in Park or Neutral and again this was located dependent on options.

Yes you can lock the sleeve in the "locked" position allowing you to remove the key. It will not lock the steering wheel by design as long as the key is turned past off. Failures are rare of the ignition core allowing the wheel to lock in other positions.

I have gone back and forth with my transmission rod activating the lock out. I like to park in First gear in the garage, my driveway is a hill so just mental floss insurance. When missing the rod, I manually rotate the sleeve to deactivate my racing lights But in some remote corner of my mind to also guard against the wheel ever locking on me while driving. Totally irrational I know but just piece of mind.

I'm not sure what aftermarket options there are for anti-theft. Ask your insurance agent what the cost in coverage would be to run without any theft-protection factory or aftermarket including the fact most factory of that period and aftermarket add on's such as the claw are defeatable in a few seconds.
Love the detailed response, thank you.

Assuming there are not insurance implications with removing that small level of "security", would you just go with an ididit or flaming river steering column or is it easy to remove the collar on my factory column? A title column would be nice so I'm not completely against removing it but there is the obvious additional cost.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 17, 06:31 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Either option are good, just personal preference and look. You can lock the factory column sleeve as stated and call it done after you reroute/rework backup light activation and I assume you will be using a factory clutch pedal neutral safety switch in your conversion, which just plugs in under the column.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 17, 10:14 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post

What isn't working is the factory steering column has a collar on it that has to be in the correct position for the key to come out. I have to randomly adjust it by hand to take the key out.
I solved that problem with a small piece of clear packing tape on the underside of the column so the collar can't rotate. Hi-tech for sure.

FWIW - console shifted automatics had the reverse light/neutral safety switch mounted on the shifter in 69, not in the column and not on the transmission.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode