Steering Upgrade - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 17, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Steering Upgrade

Hi All,

I am preparing to install a complete power steering setup. New Box, pitman arm, idler arm, center link, tie rods inner and outer.
Any tips, cautions, advise? Or is it just that straight forward?
Guessing to count the turns on the box with a mark and then go half to center it for alignment of the pitman arm.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 17, 11:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage
re: Steering Upgrade

It's a pretty straight forward swap. Spray the steering box bolts, pitman arm shaft/nut, idler arm bolts with some penetrating fluid a day or so in advance.

Take the center link and tie rods out as a unit, and use that as a template for the new setup. It will keep you very close to the original alignment to get you to the shop.

The pitman arm has a very large nut on it. You'll need a 1 5/16" socket. You'll probably need a pickle fork and a small sledge to pry some stuff off, it has been a while.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 17, 11:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Is it currently a manual box, switching to power steering, or just upgrading your current PS setup?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 17, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Hi,

New subframe, all new components, Nothing to remove. A good fresh start.

thanks!

Ron
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 17, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Hi,
Does my centering scheme for the steering box rotations make sense. Don't want to install the pitman with incorrect clocking and have to beat it off to remove it.
Thanks!
Ron
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 17, 12:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenr View Post
Hi,
Does my centering scheme for the steering box rotations make sense. Don't want to install the pitman with incorrect clocking and have to beat it off to remove it.
Thanks!
Ron
The pitman arm should be keyed. You can't really put it on wrong.

-----------------------

Edit, sorry, I see what you're saying. Yes, your idea makes sense. You should already know the approx. number of turns for the new box. Center it, and then intall with the correct key way.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 17, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Hi,
It is a 12.1 box. I assume it can be safely turned without being connected to a pump.
Would think the factory would center the box when they built it. But I want to be sure B4 I put the pitman on.
Thanks for your help. I'll let all know what I come up with.
Ron
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 17, 12:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Hi,

New subframe, all new components, Nothing to remove. A good fresh start.

thanks!

Ron
Ron... I'd assume that if you're upgrading from manual to power steering, you're going to go with a "quick" ratio box rather than the standard power steering box? If you haven't bought the box yet, I think Bourgenson sells a complete kit with hoses, pump, PS box, and maybe the Idler but I'm not 100% sure about the idler. Available from Summit, Amazon, Jegs, etc..

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 17, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Hi,
57 Vette, This is a complete new installation. I am not upgrading the entire vehicle is new.
I am putting a Flaming river FR1560 12.1 power steering gearbox in the car, I purchased all new Moog tie rods center link and idler pitman.
The PS pump is the one supplied on my Vintage Air front runner serpentine system. Kind of a mix and match deal. The car has new standard ration steering arms/spindles.
Now I am wondering about them, the 12.1 isn't really fast ratio is it? I had a choice between that and 16.1 which I thought was fast. Want to get this right. So any help is appreciated.
Build thread 'Finishing My 67 Coup' in Builds on this forum.

Thanks for any help!
Ron
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 17, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Hi,
I guess I mislabeld the thread. Should be "New steering install"
Been gone a while.
sorry.
Ron
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 17, 03:47 PM
David Pozzi

Quote:
Hi,
57 Vette, This is a complete new installation. I am not upgrading the entire vehicle is new.
I am putting a Flaming river FR1560 12.1 power steering gearbox in the car, I purchased all new Moog tie rods center link and idler pitman.
The PS pump is the one supplied on my Vintage Air front runner serpentine system. Kind of a mix and match deal. The car has new standard ration steering arms/spindles.
Now I am wondering about them, the 12.1 isn't really fast ratio is it? I had a choice between that and 16.1 which I thought was fast. Want to get this right. So any help is appreciated.
Build thread 'Finishing My 67 Coup' in Builds on this forum.

Thanks for any help!
Ron
12:1 is VERY FAST. If you have the fastest combo of steering linkage, it can be tough to drive. A stiff internal valve is manditory to use a box this fast on a first gen. Most 12:1 boxes have the stiff valving which keeps the steering from being too over-responsive.
16:1 is pretty slow.
14:1 is a good average ratio if you have the long pitman arm and short outer steering arms.

Some of the results depend on which of three lengths outer steering arms you have, and which of two lengths of pitman arms you use.
Read my info here: Camaro steering

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 17, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Hello!
So the Flaming River 12.1 is a poor choice for a street cruiser.
I am so glad that you chimed in. What the heck box should I buy.
I have looked at the DSE, same price. FR has a 16.1, But from what you are saying, and you certainly would know.
A 14.1 is what I need.
I have looked and cannot seem to locate such a beast.
Please advise....
much thanks!
Ron
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 17, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Hi,
Thanks, I found a 14.1. and its on it's way.
thank you very much!
Ron
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 17, 08:46 PM
David Pozzi

Re: Steering Upgrade

16:1 was used stock, 14:1 came out in 1978 or 79 for Z/28 only. The 12:1 was introduced around 1985 for the Z/28 and IROC Camaros. 14:1 is a nice & fairly quick ratio. As I said, A LOT depends on what length pitman arm and what length outer steering arm you have. I would use the long PS pitman arm Moog: K6582

The 12.7:1 is great for autocross and performance handling, but you don't want to use it with the short outer arms, AND long pitman arm. It's just too quick and the car will be hard to precisely control & make the car go exactly where you want, it's too easy to overcorrect. Its OK if you use the short pitman with short outers, or if you have the long outer arms you can then use the long Pitman arm. The 12.7:1 box with fastest linkage will be LESS than two turns lock to lock. Probably around 1 3/4 turns.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 17, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Re: Steering Upgrade

Hello Mr Pozzi,
I am so greatfull for some help from a truly knowledgeable expert. Gotten kinda lost in this steering thing. Will check my part numbers per your advice.
Thank you very much!
Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode