Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

1Likes
  • 1 Post By 77thor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 5th, 17, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Questions concerning suspension.

Concerning suspension, I read David Pozzi's (pozziracing) info and other's as well,still not sure what I should do. It seems like most of them use polly bushings, lowering springs, larger sway bars, etc. All the up grades I look at use polly, I want a nice ride that handles really really well, but still looks pretty much like stock. I used Moog rubber bushings in the stock control arms, as I didn't want to feel every little bump in the road (getting old).

I don't know if I should upgrade the upper control arm shafts or just use stock. The upgrade gives 3 degrees more castor, I don't know much about it. I would not mind upgrading, some to get better handling if I can get rubber bushings.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 5th, 17, 07:43 PM
Team Member
Don

Re: Questions concerning suspension.

Far from an expert but I don't see how a cross shaft can add caster unless it is somehow offsetting one mounting point more than the other. It can add negative camber but I'm not seeing caster.

Control arm bushings are not a key suspension element for determining ride harshness. Your springs and shock absorbers are. I've run Delrin and metal bushings with no ride harshness.

Poly bushings squeak and bind. Delrin is better.

If you want improved handling with stock appearance check out the Ridetech Street Grip package along with a 600 steering box.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 17, 04:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

X2 what Don said about upper shaft and caster with clarification. Some aftermarket shafts are offset. Originally designed to correct a sagging frame to allow the camber to be set to an increased positive number. That said if you add shims to one bolt to decrease camber you can add postive caster at the same time.

I bought poly bushings for my car and have not installed them yet. I'm having thoughts about running them "loose" somehow. My concern in doing so with the stock shafts is that 3/8 bolt at the end. Aftermarket shafts usually have a nut on them which I think would be a better method of retaining the bushings if you are running anything except factory style rubber bushings.

Jeff

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 17, 06:50 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

Hello Mike,
I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago when I decided to rebuild my front end. I own a 74 Nova, but our front suspensions are very similar. I also wanted to keep my ride height stock, but improve overall handling. When I first started, I did not understand anything about caster, camber, and toe-in... and how they affect a vehicle's handling. I also knew nothing about delrin bushings. I did a lot of research before starting, and read most (if not all) of David Pozzi's information on front suspension upgrades and handling. I was amazed with the amount of detailed information David provided.

I read enough post to stay away from poly control arm bushings. I have never used them and have nothing against them... but I took the recommendations of many TC members and went with delrin bushings. I installed the Del-a-lums into my stock lower control arms, and I went with the Global West tubular upper control arms (with delrin) for the caster gains. I also installed Proforged 1/2" taller upper ball joints for some camber gains, and used their taller tie rod ends to help with bump steer. New lower ball joints installed too. I installed a larger front sway bar and kept my stock front springs and used regular KYB Excel-G gas filled front shocks. The other item I upgraded was installing a close ratio power steering box. Good front tires will help too. I learned how to proceed with all of these upgrades by reading many forums... but mostly Team Camaro's. I even did my own front end alignment in my garage from the information I learned in this forum.

While I am far from Pro Touring, I think my car handles great. There is not one squeak while bouncing the front end and the ride is not harsh at all. I am very happy with the results of these upgrades.

Hope this helps.
Mike
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 7th, 17, 08:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

I used the MOOG offset upper control arm shafts and PST's polygraphite (black) bushings... 7 years and no squeaks (I did lube the hell out of them before installing) .

I'm happy with the results.
yellow69RS likes this.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 7th, 17, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Thanks Guys, appreciate the advice. I will check out the Ridetech Street Grip package and the delrin bushings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode